Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > L405 Engine Blown - 2013 Model Less than 50K miles on clock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Vogue

United Kingdom 

The trouble is the way LR see it is that it’s not a new or nearly new vehicle it’s had 5 years use and has done 48k miles. The contribution proportion relates to the age of the vehicle, use it’s had and it’s residual value.

As I said above I have been here several times with engine failures - and to be fair to LR the numbers of failures isn’t that high when considering the numbers of vehicles of theirs we have had over 45 years.

Let us know how you get on, but I will be extremely surprised if you better the 40%.

Its quite simple if you wanted a 100% contribution then LR will say then you should have bought a Warranty. Why would they pay out 100% when you chose not to take the warranty. Otherwise what’s the point selling warranties as nobody would buy them.

Not my words - just as it has been said to us by LR. It has also cost us huge amounts of money - but like it or not I can understand the rationale. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #481588 22nd Jun 2018 5:09am
rvbush

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Quote:
RVBush......an excellent and balanced summary, and very true.

But what does that matter to a multi billion pound company when it comes to replacing a 10K engine?

It doesn't, and that's the problem with cynical business (evident all over the place), in this case pupporting to provide a premium product/experience and failing miserably.

Quote:
To my mind this case is different from the other reported cases of spun bearings or broken crank as none of the reports that I have read refer to there being a hole in the engine casing where a part, presumable a conrod, has come through. So I am not sure that it is safe to conclude that the failure was a common one or related to a design fault. It might be, but unless the engine is dismantled nobody knows for sure, and for the reasons given above there is not much benefit in the owner paying for the dismantling.

If this is the case, reinforces my point that LR really should be all over the damn thing. It's got FSH, only done 48k miles and it's thrown a rod! Come on!! Note the LR rep still conspicuous by absence.

Quote:
Its quite simple if you wanted a 100% contribution then LR will say then you should have bought a Warranty. Why would they pay out 100% when you chose not to take the warranty. Otherwise what’s the point selling warranties as nobody would buy them.

Because it's a catastrophic failure in service of a low mileage engine with FSH on a supposedly premium product. They shouldn't need any warranties to override an obvious moral duty. Drives:
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue - Stornoway Grey
2010 FFRR TdV8 Vogue SE - Zermatt Silver
1998 BMW E36 M3 GTII

Post #481591 22nd Jun 2018 7:22am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

48k isn’t low mileage though is it, and in new car terms 5 years is old. The trouble is you are comparing it to a 2003 RR which in those terms yes it may be considered low mileage 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #481595 22nd Jun 2018 7:28am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I thought I read somewhere - and I could be wrong - that JLR provide the engine to the dealer FOC - and that you're basically paying the dealer to fit it. That translates to a 40% discount overall.

That's why, in this case, where there appears to be some sort of dealer blame with the servicing, there may be more room for negotiation.....

Post #481596 22nd Jun 2018 7:52am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Alistair you are correct - that is how LR dealt with one of our engine failures - I cannot comment if LR deal with each case the same. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #481597 22nd Jun 2018 8:12am
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

oh I'm not going to be popular. Crying or Very sad

I think the 40% offer from LR is as good as you are going to get. Please take it. Perhaps a bit more could be got from the dealer as goodwill.
The car being 5 year old with only very slightly less than average miles on it is not really LR's problem. Yes from a PR perspective, they may offer (and have done) a contribution without prejudice but from a legal and moral perspective, I don't think they need do any more. Like someone said earlier, if every time an engine went pop, we expected a manufacturer to replace fully at their cost, then what's the point of a warranty? How can we arbitrarily say how long an engine should last by design without knowing how it has been driven / looked after? No engineering process is so perfect that 100% of its output can be guaranteed for x years. The problem with engines is that they all have different lives. Some get cuddled and treated as your first born baby, yet others get absolutely hammered and driven hard....how are LR to know who does what? - Their offered liability was for three years when the vehicle was bought from new. After that if no extended warranty is purchased, I can't see the moral case. Sorry.

We could argue "design flaws" and "fit for purpose" all day long, but no one is ever going to take that legal case on and if they did it would take years and costs thousands to prove/disprove if at all. I really do have sympathies with the situation honest - but sometimes there is just a thing as bad luck. The mitigation against that happening is to buy warranty. Sad

Post #481604 22nd Jun 2018 9:43am
CRC@LandRover
Verified Account

Re: L405 Engine Blown - 2013 Model Less than 50K miles on cl

waqaveli wrote:
Apologies in advanced for the really long post!

I had purchased my first ever Range Rover Vogue (2013) second hand in barolo black from a well known reputable dealership 2 years ago.

I purchased the car on 28k mileage with full service history, well looked after and no issues................................................................................................

Big Cry

Good morning waqaveli,

I am sorry to learn that you have experienced the concerns raised in your post.

Please could you kindly PM me your vehicle identification number along with the name of your local approved retailer.

Thanks, Stacie Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.

Post #481886 26th Jun 2018 10:36am
vnitos

South Africa 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Bump

Post #481919 26th Jun 2018 4:42pm
originalracingsnake

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

"BUMP"? Are you claiming on the insurance for that?

Very Happy 2014 SDV8 L405 Autobiography. Luxor with ivory. 22's...

Post #481964 27th Jun 2018 9:35am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

And hopefully not a Non Disclosure Agreement..... Whistle David

Please let me know if my comments upset you, I may wish to upset you again.

Post #482103 28th Jun 2018 3:13pm
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black

Interesting debate. Doubtless a frustrating and anxious time for the OP, as it would be for the majority.

Accepting that there was no warranty in place with this example, distinction should be made between the '3 year manufacturer's warranty' and the Approved Used/ Extended LR warranty. The latter is a good warranty although not as comprehensive as the Manufacturer's. JLR is not actually the provider of the AU/ Extended warranty.

Nobody seems to know why this TDv6 'engine failure' occurred because the engine has not been stripped down to find out (unless I've not read the thread thoroughly enough)?

With such scenarios, if financial and/ or reputational stakes are high for the interested parties, would it not seem premature to speculate, formulate and settle outcomes until the actual reason for a failure was properly investigated and confirmed?

Reasons could include (not exhaustive and not suggesting the OP or anyone else is culpable in the OP's example):

1. Neglect by a user (warranty or not, a warranty does not generally protect against neglect);

2. Negligence by those servicing/ maintaining the car (again, a warranty is not generally for this purpose);

3. Manufacturing/ design fault;

4. Wear and tear;

5. Other reasons (that might or might not be covered, if a warranty is in place)

Post #482316 1st Jul 2018 9:17am
Triarii

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

It would be interesting to see if their view changed if said component had emerged out of the bonnet or side of the vehicle and potentially endangered the occupants or passers by. 17 MY Corris Grey 4.4 VAB
Silver MB R231 SL350

Post #482703 5th Jul 2018 5:41pm
waqaveli

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Barolo Black
Thanks everyone for input / advice / kind words

Thank you for everyone’s reply.

I have sent you a PM crc@landrover

It is turning out to be a long drawn out process. Getting information/updates from JLR or Lancaster is like trying to draw blood from a stone. Currently it is looking unlikely that they are going to improve on their 40% offer Sad

Post #482926 8th Jul 2018 10:51pm
waqaveli

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Barolo Black
Re: L405 Engine Blown - 2013 Model Less than 50K miles on cl

Thank you for everyone’s input/advice/kind words/criticisms

I have sent you a PM crc@landrover

It is turning out to be a long drawn out process. Getting information/updates from JLR or Lancaster is like trying to draw blood from a stone. Currently it is looking unlikely that they are going to improve on their 40% offer Sad

CRC@LandRover wrote:
waqaveli wrote:
Apologies in advanced for the really long post!

I had purchased my first ever Range Rover Vogue (2013) second hand in barolo black from a well known reputable dealership 2 years ago.

I purchased the car on 28k mileage with full service history, well looked after and no issues................................................................................................

Big Cry

Good morning waqaveli,

I am sorry to learn that you have experienced the concerns raised in your post.

Please could you kindly PM me your vehicle identification number along with the name of your local approved retailer.

Thanks, Stacie

Post #482927 8th Jul 2018 10:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123