Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Removing rear anti roll bar drop links
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kbald

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue
Removing rear anti roll bar drop links

Hi all does anyne have any techniques to do these. Did one side today and the bottom came off ok but the top one the spanner keeps slipping off the lip to hold it when using the ratchet on the other side. In the end had to very carefully angle grind the top bit off. This is the second time ive done them and had the same problem twice. Is there a trick i am missing or are they just a real pain to do? Dont like using the angle grinder so close to the airbag for the rear suspension too much as there is zero room. Thanks Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #481635 22nd Jun 2018 8:05pm
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue

I attached a socket + 6inch extension & operated the wratchet through the suspension arm from below.
I think it was maybe an 18mm open jaw spanner on the flats to stop the joint turning.
As long as the socket was turned smoothly, I didn't appear to have a problem keeping the open jaw spanner in place.
I've added additional nuts to the "spare" thread on the replacements to reduce the rust, the main nut has to go over when possibly replacing them in the future. Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #481669 23rd Jun 2018 12:20am
kbald

Thanks Paul. Ive got the extension on but i just cant seem to get that first crack of the nut without the spanner slipping off the flats. I have one more to do so will try a good dose of penetrating fluid and see if i can get it if not its going to have to be the angle grinder as nothing else will fit in to cut it off. The new ones are heavy duty and a 4 year guarentee so should last fingers crossed once they are on. Thumbs Up Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #481672 23rd Jun 2018 7:16am
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue

Before the nut is loose, the flats didn't need holding on ours.
Now I'm thinking about it, I actually didn't use the open jaw spanner until I'd already started the nut turning.
It was clamped up tight enough initially for me too loosen the nut by maybe 1 flat before the ball joint started to rotate with it.
After that it was just a matter of holding the spanner with 1 hand while operating the ratchet with the other. Itwas probably a lot easier because I was using an extending ratchet that meant the effort was a lot lower & I wasn't hitting my hand on the suspension arm.
I also used a bit of WD40 to help the nut rotate down the thread after being loosened Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #481675 23rd Jun 2018 9:53am
kbald

Thanks again Paul. The second one came off easily with the spanner holding on the flats so must have just been unlucky with the previous 3 i did! Job done now which is a relief as its a pain but hopefully thats it for a few years now! Lesson learnt buy cheap buy twice and pay the price! Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #481694 23rd Jun 2018 5:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1