Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Fob or phone for pre heat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Fob or phone for pre heat

My car came with a fob for the remote park heat but as it has In Control Touch Pro I also have the App based engine start to set a cabin temperature. Now I seem to remember the D4 I had previously would start the Webasto FBH to warm the engine/cabin and open the vents and start the blower to expel hot air from the cabin. With my App on the FF I can set a temp and the car will make it's mind up whether it needs to start the engine to cool the car or start the Webasto to heat it. Why do I need a fob?

Post #483072 10th Jul 2018 7:28am
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Based on expience I don’t think the latest app starts the FBH when warming, it simply starts the engine to warm or cool. It’s a PIA because the older version of the App would start the FBH when warming.

In answer to your question you need the fob to start the FBH or set the timer to start the FBH.

Why do you think the App makes the decision between starting the engine or using the FBH when warming because that would be the correct thing to do. Is this written anywhere or have you got it to work? MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #483197 11th Jul 2018 12:56pm
Huwrhys

Hi Phil
Thanks for your response. It was an assumption that it would work in a sensible way. It makes sense to warm with the fbh and cool with the engine. What’s the point of the fbh if not?
Huw

Post #483216 11th Jul 2018 3:47pm
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Its a bit of a cock up in my opinion. The App with my MY16 allowed me to set the RR to warm via the FBH only. There was no engine start or cooling option. The App with my MY17 only allows the engine to be started to warm or cool. So you can only operate the FBH by fob or timer not the App. I use the fob at home in the morning and try to remember to set the timer for other occasions but that isn't always feasible. MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #483217 11th Jul 2018 3:57pm
Huwrhys

I have to agree. I don’t have a 9 to 5 so the timer really doesn’t work for me at all. The fob for my D4 was excellent for range if held up to my head. I set the fbh from inside the Saracens rugby ground last February and came out 20 mins later to a warm car. But if distance should prove a problem the App can do it by starting the engine. Does seem silly starting the engine when you have a fbh though.

Post #483218 11th Jul 2018 4:04pm
xjrsupercharger

United Kingdom 

I'm looking at a 2014/15 SDV8 Autobiography. Am I right in thinking the Autobiography had Park Heat as standard using the FBH and that it only works via a remote webasto fob like my L322 did? If you use the phone app (does that work on 2014/15 cars??) it starts the engine? Thanks 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography
ex 2008 RR Vogue TDV8
ex 2001 RR P38 4.6 Vogue
ex RR Classic

Post #503062 28th Jan 2019 3:45pm
Huwrhys

I'm not sure about the App being available for pre 17MY cars but the thread above seems to show it is. From what I gather the fob operates the FBH and the App starts the car. The FBH has the benefit of warming the water jacket and therefore warms the engine oil making it quicker to get around the engine. There are guys on the D3 site who swear by using the FBH daily to do this and they're running 200,000 mile cars with no issues at all. Seems worth having a go. Starting the engine via the App wouldn't have the same effect I assume as it may as well be started on the button for the engine saving value. Having said that, the cooling in 45 degree weather in Italy last summer was incredible. There was usually a couple of people standing nearby too and it was fun to see them jump when it burst into life.
I'm sure there's someone on here who can confirm what comes with what year but the FBH is well worth having if you can get it working from the fob. The engine start App is useful for cooling in hot weather.
Thumbs Up

Post #503066 28th Jan 2019 4:03pm
xjrsupercharger

United Kingdom 

Thanks Huwrhys. Also very interesting about engine life using the pre-heat function in winter. I definitely want the FBH with remote as it was by far my favourite feature on my L322 Vogue in the winter. Does anyone know whether the In Control app works with 2014 cars and can start the engine to heat / cool the car 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography
ex 2008 RR Vogue TDV8
ex 2001 RR P38 4.6 Vogue
ex RR Classic

Post #503069 28th Jan 2019 4:07pm
Don Henshall

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Is this fob for the heater function or something else. I have no idea Whistle

718 GT4
FFRR AB
BMW R1250RT
Honda ST 1100

Sold
Freelander 2
Porsche C4S Cab
D4
BMW 520 M Sport Touring
BMW R1200RT
BMW R1150RT
MX5 2lt Roadster

Post #503115 28th Jan 2019 7:18pm
Huwrhys

That's for the FBH. Press the lh (on) button for a couple of seconds and it should flash quickly with 12 green flashes. That turns the FBH on. After a minute you should hear a jet like sound coming from under your bonnet and possibly some vapour from under your wheel arch. It's in the handbook and describes all the different flashing sequences which mean different things.

Post #503132 28th Jan 2019 8:25pm
Don Henshall

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

Thanks. Time to get the handbook out🤪 718 GT4
FFRR AB
BMW R1250RT
Honda ST 1100

Sold
Freelander 2
Porsche C4S Cab
D4
BMW 520 M Sport Touring