Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Diagnostic advice required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
johnb8538

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Fuji White
Diagnostic advice required

I've been trying for some time to resolve my parking sensors problem on my 2011 RR. As its low mileage and great condition I've decided not to take off the bumpers to check the wiring, I'm hedging my bets on a dodgy sensor or a failed control unit as the problem was intermittent and now dead.
I did check online for anyone that would do a proper diagnostic read and then I can buy and fit my own part but the prices vary wildly and I don't want to waste my money. For example, Halfords close to home quote £40 for a diagnostic and JLR miles away quote £80. Clearly JLR would be the supposed trustworthy source but we all have our own thoughts on that. The inclusion of a free valet from them at the same time did raise a quizzical eyebrow.

Any thoughts?
Anyone know of someone with a proper reader that I'll happily bung you a few quid for your help?

Post #481983 27th Jun 2018 1:20pm
kbald

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

If you put the sensors on and listen closesly to each one you should hear a clicking sound. If one doesn't click thats the faulty one. If one doesnt work the whole lot doesn't work but they will still click. Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #481999 27th Jun 2018 4:41pm
johnb8538

Thanks for that. Already tried the “clicking” tactic then spent days trying different ways to hear the noise which apparently is supposed to be quite audible. Found another post stating that in later models no audible sound could be heard and that any fault in the system shuts the whole thing down. I’m assuming a diagnostic will state which part of the system is down e.g. sensor or control unit.
The system died during the wet weather at the start of the year leading me to believe it was a damp sensor. Every now and again it would all start fully functioning again but it eventually gave up a few months back and no amount of trickery has got it to work.

Post #482028 27th Jun 2018 8:43pm
kbald

No problem that worked for mine but its a bit older. You should be able to wiggle the wires without removing the bumper if its the same as the 07 if you get under the car and squeeze your hand in. If its intermitent you would asume it could be a loose wire so may be able to try that to give a clue. Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #482031 27th Jun 2018 8:58pm
kbald

Another thought is to call green oval for a quote they are an Indy and are off the m621 near ikea in leeds so not to far away. If they repair it im sure they wouldnt charge for a diagnostic too but dont hold me to that! Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #482065 28th Jun 2018 6:49am
johnb8538

Ill try the "wiggle method" before ringing the indy guys,its going to be something daft I bet.
Many thanks.

Post #482076 28th Jun 2018 10:23am
johnb8538

Just called Oval £45 plus vat for diagnostic and happy for me to take the information and walk away rather than force me to buy their parts. Lets see what it is...

Post #482086 28th Jun 2018 11:18am
kbald

Good luck with it hope you get it sorted! Might be worth investing in a diagnostic tool like the iid one as a few trips at £45 plus vat and its paid for plus they retain good resale value too! Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #482108 28th Jun 2018 5:00pm
johnb8538

Well after having a diagnostic done it was discovered to be the control module. The garage took one from a freelander and it worked no problem. They suggested £130 for a brand new dealer replacement. There are several available a lot cheaper online and as I'm likely to change the vehicle in September it seems the best option. I'm just not sure whether another freelander one for example might have some different "settings" etc.

Post #483572 16th Jul 2018 2:24pm
Bushy30

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVER-DIS...SwEaNa3t1h

Sorry MODS if I can't post this........

Post #483573 16th Jul 2018 2:42pm
johnb8538

haha thank you I'm already watching this!!

Meant to say regards the diagnostic...
I was trying to save money as JLR wanted £80 and this indy garage stated £45.
As the control unit was dead they couldn't communicate and suggested they take one from a donor vehicle to see if that helped. Of course it did and so the diagnostic was complete.
Naively I thought that was nice of them to do that until they gave me the £95 bill including a half hour labour.

Yep I was naïve, but if they had said, "we can test one but it'll cost you another £50" at least I could have made my own choice.

Amusingly the JLR quote included a full valet so I missed out on that and those nice coffee and buns they give you in house. TUT Smile

Post #483576 16th Jul 2018 2:56pm
kbald

That a bit shaddy! They should be upfront with the charges poor show from a forum sponsor. They seemed ok when i used them but will be wary now and not recommend them again. Current 2007 TDV8 Vogue Buckingham Blue

Post #483590 16th Jul 2018 7:32pm
johnb8538

Thanks for that but I’m not here to bash anyone. It was a great looking place and everyone seemed knowledgeable and polite, just a rubbish bit of communication I wrongly assumed was goodwill . I could have disputed it at the time but you realise quickly of course they are there to make money same as any other garage, they aren’t your friend doing you a favour. The labour charge was the same as the JLR dealership nearby so they didn’t actually do me any favour at all. You live and learn. At the end of it all I now know what it is and it’s an easy fix.

Post #483603 16th Jul 2018 9:45pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

From my (thankfully limited) experience of JLR workshops I’d be surprised if they would try a component from another car.
The place that you used have probably done you a bigger favour than you think, they’ve found where they thought the fault was then proved it.

Post #483608 16th Jul 2018 10:32pm
johnb8538

Just to close this off.

By chance an exact match came up on a popular auction site last weekend so I took a gamble.
Plugged in and straight away all was good. No dealer reset required.

£50 from a vehicle breakers, described as fully tested and they were true to their word.

Interestingly...

The replacement came from an RRS of similar age where normally the last two letters in the sequence would be slightly different

Mine - Ah42 15k866 BG (Checked with JLR if its the correct model that was fitted and they said yes)
RRS normally Ah42 15k866 BE but my new BG designation was taken from an RRS so they must be interchangeable.
Auction sites average price £50

The garage that did my diagnostic took one from a Freelander of similar age 6992 15k866 AH
Auction sites average £20 - £30

Discovery models described as also suitable for RRS are CH22 15k866 BA
Auction sites average £50-£60

The centre number 15k866 is the same throughout and based on my experience shows they all appear to be interchangeable.
When you are looking down the barrel of a JLR £194 plus VAT quote and see that a £30 freelander version will work it certainly makes you think..

Post #485051 3rd Aug 2018 9:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1