Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > buying l322 thats rough
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
robo

buying l322 thats rough

Hi guys as a long term classic, p38, d3 owner but never a l322 the time has come to get one,im just finishing off a restoration of a jag xk8 that looks great but ive realised its not for me too cramped and at 60 years old im not as flexible as i was!, im good with mechanics bodywork etc etc and have seen a car i want but just wanted some input off you chaps,so 2004 diesel 160k miles, all locked up cant get in is the first problem apparently runs but is smokey,suspension in active,bit of rust rear arches and tailgate top,not too bad needs indicator unit n/s/f trim looks good
window trims bubbling,tyres poor basically a neglected example,but the sort of project i like if the price is right and thats the problem whats it worth any ideas? btw its not a car for a daily driver more a long term project.many thanks in advance

Post #483447 14th Jul 2018 8:00pm
dolph34

Ireland 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

Hi , without a good looking over and a drive , it's almost impossible to put a price in any car. Go with your own instincts but i would need more info before i spent my cash Thumbs Up 2015 4.4 AB
GSXR 1000 K5
R1 1998

Post #483450 14th Jul 2018 8:25pm
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

At that age and condition, I can instantly get to well over £5k worth of parts without even seeing it based on what will almost certainly need doing. These cars do not like being neglected and whereas I appreciate the fun for you may be the restoration element, if my budget had to include those costs then I would be looking for a much nicer one (they are out there) and enjoy the fun. The neglected cars, as we see starting to see regularly on the forums just develop so many small glitches that ultimately are not cost effective to fix but if you are restoring you'll want it perfect!

On my candidate list for needing potential work/replacement

1) IID Tool - first purchase
2) Gearbox
3) Suspension - new compressor and front air bags
4) Ball joints, bushes, links, arms etc all round - (there is a lot!)
5) Injectors
6) Radiator
7) Alternator
8 In car - screen, satnav, sub etc (sit in a box at the back which can suffer from water ingress)
9) Instrument panel pixels
10) Battery
11) Interior - steering column reach, drivers seat valance trim,
12) Fuel pump
13) Wheel arches and rear door
14) Front wiper linkage and rear Wiper motor
15) Headlight wiper motors
16) Tyres

and then the things that are starting to crop up - the steering lock issue, the steering angle sensor, abs module, BCM module

My personal view is buy the best you can find and they will still reward you with the need for tinkering and fettling. The price differential between a neglected one and a good one at that age isn't that great but the cost of bringing a neglected one up to the level of a good one will be many times the difference. I couldn't put a value on whats it worth, but if I reckon I could get good one at that age for well under £5k Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #483479 15th Jul 2018 11:42am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

IMHO the car you have described needs breaking not saving sir...

When you can pick up an MOT'd running vehicle from around £3k upwards! Spending £3k on the car you have described, wouldn't begin to fix all of the faults you have listed...

Just my 2p worth sir Thumbs Up

Post #483490 15th Jul 2018 12:38pm
robo

many thanks for all your help, maybe a case of heart over head lol

Post #483492 15th Jul 2018 1:04pm
nicksaab

2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

My view would be if you still think its something you want to do, go and look at a couple of nice one first and then go back and look at this one - a good one will still give you plenty to tinker with, but you'll get the benefit of enjoying it too. You could spend a fortune on this one (as Craig and I mentioned) and it could still never be right Whereas spending some of the your repair budget on a better one cost less in the long run. Current Fleet:-
2018 Discovery 5 3.0 HSE
2021 Ford Ranger Wildtrack
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt 5.0 V8
1993 Defender 90 200TDI Pickup

Gone - not forgotten
2016 L405 4.4 SDV8 Vogue SE
2012 L322 4.4 Westminster
2004 L322 4.4 V8 Autobiography LE
2000 P38 RR 4.0 HSE (ex Clarkson test car)

Post #483510 15th Jul 2018 4:32pm
bembo449

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

got to agree with the others on this , having bought a td6 with faults , they are very expensive to get bits for like indicator units and such like , the costs soon mount up even before you start on mechanicals , like gearbox oil and filter , I was lucky in that mine was pretty well only suspension issues , the engine and running gear was pretty fit but I still spent a few hundred quid getting it into decent shape , buy one that's got plenty of paperwork / evidence of money spent on its upkeep would be my advice pal

Post #483931 20th Jul 2018 8:14pm
robo

Thank you all for your positive comments , all taken on board, after a lot of thought im going back if i can get it cheap enough im going to go for it ,realize parts are expensive but my times free i work on trucks full off electrics so that doesn't bother me and i do get a lot of satisfaction in rescuing cars in poor condition back to former glory,my xk8 was rough but now mint,time will tell,thanks again

Post #484011 21st Jul 2018 9:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1