Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > Faulty radio (+Berserk Seat) is ruining the RR experience.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
charlie croker mk2

England 

L404 Dab and FM reception is normally fantastic in difficult areas when everything is working as it should be . I often drive on the M60 motorway to the east of Manchester and near junction 25 others ( BMW X3 and 6 series ) go to "no signal" for a few hundred yards but the RR holds reception perfectly . Its fascinating to watch the the FM frequency changing every 30 seconds or so on Radio 4 or 2 in known difficult areas such as the Yorkshire dales while the sound is completely uninterrupted . OP I hope you get to the bottom of your problem , I wonder if the glass has ever been replaced ?

Post #488722 11th Sep 2018 11:10pm
bestman

Hi Charlie can I ask what year your vehicle is?

Wondering if I should be expecting the same in my 2016 Vogue SE?

Last edited by bestman on 12th Sep 2018 9:02am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #488729 12th Sep 2018 6:37am
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I have a 2016 model. I've experienced no problem at all on DAB or FM and have been able to benchmark against other cars.

Driving recently through Glenshee (a radio blackspot), I discovered that having lost R4 on both DAB and then FM that the L405 is still able to pick up long wave! From memory I found it buried in the "AMA" band.

If the dealer is in denial (which I've experienced with other warranty items), go to another one. Not sure what part of Hampshire you're in but I've found that the MD in Reading is good at warranty fixes, even though they have very long booking in times. 2016 SDV8 AB

Last edited by ABAB on 12th Sep 2018 11:25am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #488730 12th Sep 2018 7:06am
bestman

Thanks ABAB as you can see I'm not getting quite the same experience.

To the best of my knowledge I followed all the instructions in terms of setting up and tuning the device correctly.

Videos showing the radio working in my Mini but not in the Range Rover

Post #488731 12th Sep 2018 7:21am
charlie croker mk2

England 

Mine is a September 2015 3.0 Hybrid so I suppose it will have the older style radio kit in it . I wonder what would happen if you stopped in South Warnbourgh and did a DAB retune / re scan of the DAB stations . According to the DAB postcode checker that village has full reception . The transmitter is situated near Bracknell so its well within range . Has your car had any mods such as extra lights , non factory tow bar ? or work done in the rear glass area ?

Post #488737 12th Sep 2018 9:01am
bestman

Cheers Charlie, appreciate the info, I will try that if it comes back from Harwoods with this issue unresolved.

I suspect it would only find a couple of channels, based on trying that, whenever it lost reception when I first had the vehicle.

As far as I know the vehicle is completely standard - FF privacy glass and tow bar. No idea if the rear glass has ever been replaced though.

Post #488738 12th Sep 2018 9:07am
p38arover

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

My God! People still listen to radio! The radios in my cars haven't been tuned to a station for years. I can't stand the gab of the DJs/announcers nor the advertising. Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #488755 12th Sep 2018 12:43pm
bestman

Harwoods have now had the vehicle since Tuesday, and are fitting a 'ferrite kit,' which they are hopeful will solve the problem.

I have to say communication has not been great. I have called and emailed many times, and getting any info out of them, is like trying to get blood out of a stone.

Post #488873 14th Sep 2018 10:02am
charlie croker mk2

England 

Hope this resolves the problem , report back with the results !

Post #488874 14th Sep 2018 10:07am
bestman

Rybrook never specifically admitted there was a fault with the radio. Harwoods have confirmed in writing that the radio was faulting when they initially tested it.

The have now replaced the ferrite kit to the rear camera and updated the DAB module.

When they retested the vehicle it was 'perfect'.

I collect the vehicle tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Will report back.

Post #488899 14th Sep 2018 4:04pm
bestman

Collected the vehicle today, paid for a service that the vehicle shouldn't have needed, but never got the chance to test the radio....

As my daughter and I drove off the premises, the drivers seat developed a mind of its own, and started towards the steering wheel.

Foolishly I just readjusted the seat; however, when we got the the first roundabout (only about 200 yards from the dealership) it went berserk again, this time taking me up and down, as well as trying to recline the seat all the way back - which was even more disconcerting and dangerous.

I managed to get the vehicle back to Harwoods.They witnessed the fault and agreed it was dangerous to drive.

THE ICING ON THE CAKE - Landrover UK refused to provide me with a vehicle because the Manufactures Warrantee had expired whilst the car was with Harwoods, and the Landrover Approved Used warrantee, couldn't provide a vehicle at the time.

Now really regretting the purchase, and deeply unimpressed with Landrover, and this generation of products.

Post #488957 15th Sep 2018 1:12pm
charlie croker mk2

England 

Now that must be so disappointing for you , I wonder how they have messed up the seat memory ? LOL I Just hope that when you next get to have a drive in your car that the radio reception is OK !

Post #489091 17th Sep 2018 11:30am
bestman

The long and short of it, is that the radio is still faulty - seems improbable, but based on a 20 minute test, it is actually worse than ever.

Unfortunately, Harwoods dropped the vehicle off at my house without notice, so I wasn't there to test it before the delivery driver disappeared.

The saga goes on.....

Post #489141 17th Sep 2018 6:26pm
charlie croker mk2

England 

You need another FFRR owner with the same radio kit in there car to drive the same route as you do to prove the car is at fault -- any volunteers who is nearby ?

Just goes to show that "main oil changers" are out of there depth when it comes to fault finding down to component level . If it was my car I would try to plug a separate DAB aerial into the comms box in the rear side of the car to see what happens and then work forward from there ?

Post #489200 18th Sep 2018 9:41am
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Can't understand why your dealer can't find the fault, the channel light goes out on the infotainment screen when the sound goes off, so it's not reception, it's the electronics in the car. It's as if you've switched the radio off.

Post #489201 18th Sep 2018 9:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>