Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Can I tow with a HDC fault?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Hmm. There is a separate brake warning light which would presumably come on if the wear sensor was disconnected. An ABS sensor failure/disconnection might account for the HDC inactive warning. But HDC inactive does not stick it in access height. If you can't release the access lock then the switches might be broken, maybe also problems with air suspension set-up more generally, maybe the next step is reading with diagnostic machine? AFAIK one isn't meant to drive that extensively locked in access mode, so best to get it sorted sooner rather than later. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #491801 10th Oct 2018 9:04pm
DrAsh

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Autobiography Td6 Buckingham Blue

To everyone who has offered support... the problem has now been fixed!!!!

In a nut shell, the issue was caused by a faulty ABS sensor, aka wheel sensor. Eventually got the machine hooked up to a diagnostic tool and found the front left sensor faulty. All the visual inspections in the world would never find it The confusing bit was when I disconnected the sensor electronics (the 2 pin push fitting) I tested for 12v supply, it was at this point I was scratching my head, there was no 12v. Apparently, when the ABS ECU detects any issues with the sensor, it stops sending the 12v supply to the sensor. if I never had this information, I would be stripping the wheel arch plastic to find a break in the wiring from the ABS ECU to the sensor.

Next issues was getting the dam thing out. It is secured into the wheel bearing housing but when trying to remove it, it was quickly apparent it wasn't budging. I had to disconnect the strut, drop the disc brakes, remove the drive shaft from the bearing housing and punch the sensor through from the inside. I possibly made it a lot more difficult then it needs to be but couldn't think of any other way.

After hours of work, and slip when re-aligning the strut causing me to collide with the thing with my face, I finally got it done. So with a bruise cheek bone, I can finally put my feet up and allow my wife to give me a heroes welcome when handing her the keys.

Although the issue is fixed, I cannot give an answer to the original question, "Can I tow with a HTC fault", I took the advice from members of this forum and never tried it, the risk was not worth it. Advice is to persevere with fault finding and get it fixed.

Thanks to everyone who help. 2005 Range Rover TD6
2003 BMW 5 series E60

Last edited by DrAsh on 13th Oct 2018 6:57pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #492126 13th Oct 2018 6:26pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Well done DrABS!!!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #492130 13th Oct 2018 6:45pm
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

Glad it's fixed.

Now get out there towing that pony for your little girl!

Post #492161 13th Oct 2018 9:23pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I towed 500 miles with "air susp inactive" in September. I just made sure it was at the right height using the IID tool

Post #492476 15th Oct 2018 11:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12