Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Thoughts on a missed service due to incompetence?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kooky_guy

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Thoughts on a missed service due to incompetence?

Apologies for the long post.

My wife bought an X-Trail from a nearby Nissan main dealer a few years ago. The main dealer has been pretty poor at keeping it's promises and/or fixing problems, but she's kept going back to them for servicing because they throw in a free years AA membership.

The last service and MOT was free because one of the staff there was incredibly rude to my wife - rather surprised that they didn't sack her, but that's beside the point.

Shortly after that service, the car indicated that it's service was due. We assumed (along with the garage) that they had just forgotten to reset the service indicator so it went back to them. In fact I remember the telephone conversation at the time where we jokingly asked them if they had actually serviced it and were assured that they had.

It's just indicated that its due a service again and I idly decided to check the service book and found that they hadn't stamped it for the previous service. She rang them yesterday to book it in and mentioned this, expecting them to be able to update it when it went in, only to find that they had no record of it having being serviced the last time it was there. In fact, they even had the vehicle under a different name.

Now, whether this is due to errors in their computer system or whether they did actually forget to service it, we now have a big blank in the service book due to their incompetence. No idea how they could have not done the service - they did do the MOT (although they don't seem to have any record of that either).

I'd be interested in people's views as to the impact an apparently missed service would have on the resale value of the car (this was it's third service). It's now done 15k (and 2 years) since it's previous service, according to the evidence.

We need to speak to them again today but it's hard to know what to say to them without an idea of what we want them to do about it. The only thing, I can see that would make this right would be for them to find evidence that they did in fact perform the service and are therefore be able to backdate the service book. I suspect this may not be possible. What else could we do? I wouldn't buy a car with an apparently missed 3rd service and suspect that others wouldn't either, so it must have had some impact on the value of the car, but I guess the amount isn't really estimatable.

Thoughts anyone? 2010 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #489983 26th Sep 2018 6:50am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

If the service was done, and such evidence as you have supports that (e.g. colour of oil, state of filters) then they should be able to write up the service book and no harm done.

If they have not done the service you are entitled to get back what you paid for the service. Beyond that it's hard to say what difference it will make, as there will be lots of other factors when you come to sell. What about taking it to another dealer and asking what they'd give as a trade-in, then tell them the service was missed and see what difference it makes? Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #490123 27th Sep 2018 6:00pm
kooky_guy

They managed to find the job card which only had an hour on it, which we assume would just cover the MOT.

So it seems the service wasn't done. Quite how they managed that is beyond me especially considering it had to go back a few weeks later to have the service indicator reset.

The service interval is 18k miles or 12 months. We're under the mileage but a year over on the time so not sure where that leaves us.

The dealer has again offered a free service as compensation, but the one they missed was also free to compensate for previous issues.

I'm tempted to chalk it up to experience as I can't think what they could realistically do.

Still fuming though. 2010 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #490146 27th Sep 2018 9:02pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I'd be insisting they stamp the service book - or compensate you for the difference in value of the vehicle - after all, it was them who reset the service indicator.....

Post #490161 28th Sep 2018 6:23am
kooky_guy

Trouble is, stamping the service book would be fraudulent and how can we establish an amount for the decrease in value?

And we thought LR dealers were bad! 2010 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #490171 28th Sep 2018 8:40am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Quote:
stamping the service book would be fraudulent

I guess you're right now they found the job card.....

Not sure how you'd put a value on having effectively no service history vs full main dealer history

Post #490173 28th Sep 2018 8:49am
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Agreed it would be wrong/fraudulent to have the service book written up. Value difference would be a matter of expert opinion if you took the dealer to court. So see if you can get an opinion, either from another dealer, maybe WBAC or Evans Halshaw buying service, or maybe even if you read the Telegraph 'Honest John' who answers motoring questions. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #490192 28th Sep 2018 10:37am
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

As the dealer has offered to do a free service, I would accept that and have the book stamped. I realise the date would show the two year gap but I would expect the dealer to provide a letter agreeing that the expected service had not been done, the fault being theirs.

It would at least indicate that you have taken care of the vehicle for any prospective purchaser.

TBH I don't think there is much more you can do. John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #490214 28th Sep 2018 2:30pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Get it serviced for free, make sure they do it. Chalk it up to experience, if it’s a newish car keep it until the end of the warranty period so you at least have a personal recourse with the dealer if it breaks.

After that the change in value will be a matter of opinion. If you had covered 30k then it would be more of an issue, but as you have only covered 15k and this is less than the max mileage it’s less likely to be an issue. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

Chances are that a private buyer will not notice. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #491225 6th Oct 2018 7:56pm
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

Surely if they do a service you should get a copy of the checklist.
This should be the case, regardless of whether you or they pay (or its under a service contract).
Always ask for a receipt for the job for your records, even if the cost in nill.

I would also ask (demand) them to either stamp the book or provide a letter explaining why it was not done. Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #491258 6th Oct 2018 9:55pm
kooky_guy

She just had the front tyres replaced yesterday and the fitter noted that there was only 1mm left on the front pads...

It's going in on Friday, but they still haven't offered anything apart from the free service that it was supposed to have had the last time it went there. 2010 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #491721 10th Oct 2018 2:48pm
kooky_guy

Quick update in case anyone is interested.

The dealer made very encouraging noises on the phone over numerous conversations, although they didn't promise anything in terms of compensation.

It turned out that all they were prepared to offer in compensation was a free MOT. Wow.

To rub salt into the wound, they left a blank spot in the service book which effectively highlights the fact that a service is missing and their complimentary wash and valet simply didn't happen (something that the service manager refused to believe as 'their valet guy had signed the job sheet'. Pretty much what happened with the last service!)

So, the faces may have changed, but it seems that the ingrained poor customer service is still alive and kicking in Guildford.

We're certainly not going back there. 2010 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE

Post #492720 18th Oct 2018 7:16am
John w

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

Thats not good.
I would be sending all of your information, notes on conversations, etc off to Nissan UK. I could even be tempted to send it to the local paper, and 'getsurrey', the local news web site.

You might not get anywhere, but it will certainly raise the profile of how sh!t they are. Too many toys, not enough time

2011 4.4 TDV8 AB Black

Post #492764 18th Oct 2018 11:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1