Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Our 4.4TDV8 Vogue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Good to hear that the car is back from surgery, Richard.

I would normally tackle jobs like this myself but from what you have said, I think I will get someone else to change mine when it inevitably fails!

That loan car sounds like a right come-down but I suppose it is better than nothing and does make you really appreciate jumping back into the Rangy Very Happy Current Cars:
MY11 5.0 SC Stornoway - sold
MY06 TD6 Zambezi - sold
1997 BMW E36 M3 Evolution Convertible Estoril

Post #475245 8th Apr 2018 8:13pm
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Thanks Mark, and all

As it was teeming down here all day I am leaving the voltmeter stuff until it's at least not raining. I'll put up the figures and would appreciate comments on the charge levels etc..

As I could sit inside away from the rain checked most of the elctricaltrikery bits and had to reset the windows auto up/down on three of four (why only three not four). That's worked. Even tried my really cheap PAYG phone with bluetooth, it connected but won't with the laptop on windows10, so FFs are one up there.
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Cheers

Richard

Post #475255 8th Apr 2018 9:10pm
rjff

Thanks all for your comments and help.

Checked the voltages the day after she came home and found it at 14.8 after starting, then dropping to 12.6 as loaded with all the electrical bits, (lights, AC, screens, seats etc.). Revs to 1000 and the voltage recovered up to 14.6 then at 14.6. on tickover. Seemed good

Next day started, after a few moments at 14.8V then down to 12.1 as loaded up, stayed at that until electrical load removed and returned to14.6V. Took a run to warm her up, 14.9 dropping to 14.6 with all the electrical bits on, off and on again. That looks as if the replacement alternator has done the job. I assume the figures after start and while cold reflect some sort of "intelligent" charging.

Any new comments from all most appreciated.

Mark, Rob and CoB thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers

Richard

Post #475618 12th Apr 2018 7:15pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Richard

Those voltages sound about bang on to me. I only gave you my unloaded voltage earlier in this thread but pretty certain mine are about the same when loaded up. I will check for you tomorrow to set your mind at ease - or to confirm that mine is now a bit weak and needs replacing soon Laughing

Glad it is sorted for you and hope I don't jinx your car any more!

Best regards. Current Cars:
MY06 TD6 Zambezi - sold

Post #475631 12th Apr 2018 8:00pm
rjff

Hummpf

Four days later driving into Huntingdon wife says look at that. Can't yet as coming to stop at lights. While waiting she points out a 4" crack in the passenger door window at about head height and says the stone that hit it came off the council contractors little tractor cutting the grass some 20 yards away. She barely heard it. So by the time we got home the crack was all the way from top to bottom, dark mutterings ensued Mad

Priced up replacement, ouch, but hey, had a thought and contacted the insurers a couple of days later and the reply was, of course we cover your side windows, ring Autoglass and arrange for them to fit one. Insisted Autoglass use the correct glass and took them three days and weekend to get authorisation and a further week to obtain the acoustic/laminated replacement. Fitted yesterday by a chap called Allan, good, careful guy, described what he was doing and allowed me to see how to remove and refit the door card etc.

so for £75 excess

happiness returns but for how long??

If you're reading this Mark (Clabs) reckon I may have a jinx of my own

Post #477346 2nd May 2018 11:26am
Clabs

United Kingdom 

That sounds really unlucky Richard. Having said that, I think I passed 4 people strimming verges yesterday, with grass and goodness knows what else flying out into the road and that was only on a very short journey so I am sure this kind of thing happens all the time.

Still, glad you got it sorted out to your satisfaction and good result that your insurers cover the side glass. I know it is annoying buy I suppose it is better than having a dent/chip in your paintwork.

Out of interest, how much was the side glass when you priced it up?

Hopefully you are done with the bad luck for a while and can just enjoy your car Very Happy

Cheers, Mark Current Cars:
MY06 TD6 Zambezi - sold

Post #477379 2nd May 2018 7:23pm
rjff

Even with the little niggles we are still enjoying the car Mark. Look forward to the next one and hope to beat it into submission!!! Cool

Cost for a second hand glass was from £70 to £130 with the no guarantee of it being the correct glass, in fact the lowest quote was accompanied with photos (good) showing the glass without the accoustic/toughened marks. New was about £170 IIRC, but maybe less from a site sponsor, stopped before checking that. Add on fitting and ??? how much. Worth checking if your insurance covers the glass other than the windscreen. Ours does with no limit if you use the approved installers.

On people using strimmers etc. when I worked as opposed to being a worky ticket, I often passed a house with verge against the road after a left hand 90 whose owner left the cuttings on the road. Some poor sod on a motorbike could have gone round and accelerated over a very slippery patch on the wet, or dry, and come off, fortunately I didn't even slide!!!! but it gets your attention. Evil or Very Mad

Cheers

Richard

Post #477389 2nd May 2018 9:15pm
rjff

Well, it's been a few months since last posted, but since FF has been really enjoyable, covering some miles on days out and errands. But last week decided to buy a GAP IID and up pops a restricted performance the day after. Cleared but keeps returning, so having picked up the tool from Dan yesterday we will set about learning and testing and perhaps fixing.

Cleaned the MAP two days ago, covered in heavy oily/carbon deposit. Had a faultless 200 miles yesterday until 10 miles from home when bong. So here goes with the looksee.

If anyone reading this would like to suggest what android device (tablet) they use for the GAP I'd be please to hear your thoughts. I don't use an iphone or Android phone etc as I don't need something that does more that lets me say "is that you" Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #487574 30th Aug 2018 2:25pm
rjff

Took the FF in for a month early MOT this morning and she passed Surprised

No advisories either.

Was concerned over the restricted performance issues as haven't had time to fit the new plenum hoses but didn't let me down, until

Starting her up to back out of the MOT bay (they are happy to let you do this, and go under the lift to see any problems etc. and what comes up, yep restricted performance!!

Still, got the piece of paper.

Now to fit the hoses, clean the plenum and check for the oil leak at the rear of the engine, then book into garage to fix the problems I create. Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
Gap IIDBT

Post #489329 19th Sep 2018 3:59pm
rjff

Our first anniversary of RR ownership today and still enjoying being out and about for the least reason. May have to up the annual mileage on the insurance if not careful Smile Cheers
Richard

Gap IIDBT

Post #492854 18th Oct 2018 8:01pm
rjff

It's loud. Set off the b Censored y alarm.

Popped bonnet to check things, went indoors and alarmed car as usual, back outside, open bonnet and Embarassed

Wife's comment; now what have you done? Cheers
Richard

Gap IIDBT

Post #493299 22nd Oct 2018 8:24pm
rjff

Again it’s been a while since I last posted anything on our TDV8, and I thought it was about time I did.

Having got over the problems of the alternator, and many thanks to all who gave advice, life returned to normal for a while with the FF behaving well. Then in mid-October the car started hunting at pull away and then onto restricted performance. Cleared but kept coming up with a lots of faults. Had the battery checked, as you do I’ve learned. Got it replaced by the supplying car dealer as it was inside the battery warranty period. Result there.

Traced the fault to a suspected electric throttle body, replaced and now running fine.

Did an oil change yesterday, having bought a vacuum unit from e-bay which worked a treat. Filter was done as well. Now to check the rest of the service items and complete.

So far, it’s going well, even towed our tin tent for a couple of mid-week breaks. Cheers
Richard

Gap IIDBT

Post #511382 8th Apr 2019 7:45pm
Clabs

United Kingdom 

Hi Richard

Nice to hear your update and glad you are still enjoying the car despite the niggles. It does sound like the old girl is in good hands though.

That is a pretty good result about getting the battery replaced under warranty - so many places seem to be able to wriggle out of it. That is the one reason why I won't buy another battery via mail order these days because they are simply impossible to return.

How did you get on with your oil pump? They sound pretty straightforward. I bought myself one a while back because I like to change the oil in the 5.0 frequently but due to work pressures, a slipped disc and a dose of pneumonia to get over, the oil change has been left to someone else. I am getting back to feeling myself now so will have a stab at the next one myself. I still cannot help think I would also prefer to remove the sump plug to get the last dregs out but will probably just do that once a year. What are your thoughts??

Cheers, Mark Current Cars:
MY06 TD6 Zambezi - sold

Post #511384 8th Apr 2019 8:15pm
rjff

Hi Mark

Good to hear from you again, like you health problems, but my wife not me.

Agree about the battery. I thought the date looked as if it may still be in warranty, so having had it checked at Halfords, went two doors down and spoke to the dealer I bought from. The car was out of their warranty, and I had decided against a third party warranty. Just thought it was worth a try. It was supplied by Euro Carparts about 18 moths prior to failure. The dealer I bought from looked at the battery, rang ECP from the forecourt and they delivered next day, as they had the car on their system with fitting date. Fitted by the selling dealer, no charge.

On the oil pump, it's maual, but magic. Cleanest oil change I've done even with changing the filter and doing the mini sump. Really worth the pennies. I bought a 9 litre unit, so the only thing to watch is the level doesn't get too high and flood the suction pump. You can even carry it to the council waste disposal point and tip it Thumbs Up The hardest part of that job, getting the car's suction pipe cover fitting off, it was a b Censored r.

Booked in with a local minor body/paint chap for the rear wheel arches and tailgate rust. Just a very small amount but I know it will save grief in the long run. Also to do a small bubbling under the forward corner of the nearside door mirror. Why? The door sounds like plastic, but is ally (yeah, JLR quality contol). Anyway he's going to clear, clean, treat and refinish all those.

Good health in the future.

Richard Cheers
Richard

Gap IIDBT

Post #511389 8th Apr 2019 9:01pm
paulbrown22

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Mark - I'd certainly recommend using an oil suction pump. Haven't yet done it on my L322 as that did go to my indie for a check over and service earlier this year, but have used my pump on numerous boats and my Series 1, and makes life so much cleaner and easier. It really helps to have the oil nice and hot first though, comes out much better.

I hadn't realised the 5.0 S/C's had a suction tube, but having done a quick search on here, looks like it should be on the front left-hand side of the engine - I'll have a look next time I'm under the bonnet, and maybe do a 6-month change myself.

Post #511392 8th Apr 2019 10:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>