Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Tell us about your POSITIVE experiences with Range Rover!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

Being positive...

The cars are great once they are sorted. Addictive almost!

Good independent repair companies are worth their weight in gold and there are quite a lot of them about.

LR used to claim that 75% of all the vehicles they've made are still on the road. Probably true, but not because of Land Rover, but because of the great small independent enthusiastic repair shops all over the world.

Post #493175 21st Oct 2018 10:09pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Always wanted a Range Rover. Took the plunge over a year ago.

Yes things break. I'm mechanically inclined so maintaining and fixing things has become an unexpected hobby. Which I'm enjoying. But that's just me, you'll either need to pay somebody to maintain it, or do it yourself. Either way, these cars need upkeep. This forum is incredible for help and tips and experience for all aspects of the maintenance side of things.

The 4.4TDV8 is a spectacular engine.
On the 4.4 you'll get 38 or more MPG on the motorway.
The design is an event every time I get in. (Occasionally I look inside a Merc or Audi and I just fall asleep, they have boring interiors IMO.)
The ride is amazing. There's the off-road ability.

Then there's the sound system, or the heated and air conditioned seats, the massive boot, the presence and the wow factor, to list just a few Range Rover traits - make it a car like no other.

I wrote about my first time experience:
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post465463.html

If you're thinking about getting one, it means you have the itch.
And there's only one cure my friend.

. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #493178 21st Oct 2018 10:22pm
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

I'd like to second what gonna_go_double_r4 says.

Post #493179 21st Oct 2018 10:26pm
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Trying to be positive about LR, a few years ago I needed an engine wiring harness for my 3.6 TDV8, these were on "backorder" at the time but LRCS provided me with a loan car while I had to wait for the part to become available. This was a 6 year old car with no warranty on it not being diagnosed or repaired in a franchised workshop. I had this for 5 months and over 10K miles it must have cost LR a fortune while I waited for a £350 part. I was impressed by this, however I wasn't so impressed that I needed this harness on a six year old car due to corrosion in the connectors or that it took 5 months to supply one.

Post #493180 21st Oct 2018 10:33pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

If I had the choice of one vehicle money no object - I would still buy a RR, drive one, live with one and nothing else comes remotely close - as far as I am concerned there is only one vehicle - a Range Rover.

I am on my 16th - enough said 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #493181 21st Oct 2018 10:47pm
rik

Scotland 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Join the AA sit back relax and enjoy

Post #493186 21st Oct 2018 11:34pm
Hissinsid

United Kingdom 

I don’t want to hijack this thread but what about new cars, lot of focus on used but what about positive experience with new ones such as “got a new one 8 months ago and never had a single problem”.

Please tell me that does exist?

S

Post #493192 22nd Oct 2018 3:10am
Rosco

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Baltic Blue

Vogue wrote:
If I had the choice of one vehicle money no object - I would still buy a RR, drive one, live with one and nothing else comes remotely close - as far as I am concerned there is only one vehicle - a Range Rover.

I am on my 16th - enough said

I have searched high and low when changing over the years and yet to find a vehicle that encompasses the abilities/drive of the RR. Yes they have their 'quirks' but don't we all......... Thumbs Up

Find me something better, I can't Bow down

Post #493201 22nd Oct 2018 8:05am
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I bought my RR in June. I had all the issues (relatively minor) dealt with after fighting my corner, in the last week. The car is now beautiful. The dealership suddenly agreed everything at the eleventh hour. May be because I got LRCS involved. I’ve been happy with the work carried out by the MD but the communication is generally lacking. I don’t think it’s easy to cope locally because southern Essex is stuffed with LR’s and there are not enough dealerships to go round. I have been spoken to respectfully and it’s really only the lack of updates that annoyed me. The car is worth the pain and then some. I’ve towed my tintent all over Europe for 6 weeks without any issue apart from the tow bar sticking in the deployed position. I’m in the West Country at present and the 5 hour drive was so comfy for all involved. I will be using an Indy to service and maintain the car going forward. The MD will deal with warranty issues.

Post #493208 22nd Oct 2018 8:58am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Hissinsid wrote:
I don’t want to hijack this thread but what about new cars, lot of focus on used but what about positive experience with new ones such as “got a new one 8 months ago and never had a single problem”.

Please tell me that does exist?

S

Mine's now a year and >32,000 miles old and the first 8 months were generally very positive, just one serious issue at 10 1/2 months blotted it's copy book and the rear seat entertainment system only working when it feels like it reminds me of its LR electronics heritage every time we go to use it!

However, the general build quality is excellent, the design and off road capability are superb and having looked at other cars recently, there are pretenders out there but nothing comes close. Buying new, with the manufacturer's warranty, it's definitely worth the occasional bouts of pain! Choose your dealer on quality first, price second Thumbs Up

Post #493210 22nd Oct 2018 9:19am
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

I've had a succession of Range Rovers from the P38 to the L405. I'm not sure I'd ever be without one. They are an amazing combination of limousine, estate car, shoot bus, dog wagon, off road king, family charabanc, load lugger.

I have had many memorable drives in mine but a last minute dash to the airport in blizzard conditions stands out, as does bumping over moorland tracks taking in the beauty of the British countryside.

They are not always 100% but none of my cars have been. The dealers are, more often than not, appalling - but, again, no manufacturer seeming has got this right (though I think they are considerably worse than average for no obvious reason).

They are surprisingly addictive. Most owners are serial buyers. I persuaded a mate to buy a 4.2SC L322. He has never found a better car. It has been round the clock a couple of times. When it finally breaks, he will buy another.

Post #493211 22nd Oct 2018 9:42am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Simes wrote:

The AA dropped it off at the MD and they expected me to catch the bus home.

Now that’s funny... Made me laugh out loud!!! Oh the bloody cheek! Priceless Thumbs Up

Post #493212 22nd Oct 2018 9:44am
Chalky

United Kingdom 

Aix-en Provence 1992 at a pedestrian crossing a woman looked at my car as I let her cross. When she got to my side, she said to me, "Ah, la Grande Voiture, formidable!!" says it all!!

Class is something you can't put your finger on but the FFRR has it in spades! Niggles and all!!

Post #493216 22nd Oct 2018 10:16am
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Lots of positives, but for me the factors that are most important:

Ride quality (suspension / tyres)
Seat comfort
Interior space

Everything else that's positive about RR is good but really just icing on the cake for me. The blend of the points above is what really sets the car apart IMHO. 2016 SDV8 AB

Post #493245 22nd Oct 2018 1:51pm
swissomatic

United States 2015 Range Rover 5.0 SC V8 Fuji White
Mistress Like

As a Land Rover owner and driver for the last 60 years ( I learned to drive in one), driven dozens on almost every continent in the world including military versions , repaired and maintained many of them myself, owned specifically 9 Range Rovers with max of 320,000 miles on one of them, I have never been let down on the side of the road although I have had some interesting running repairs to English plumbing and electrical shortcomings.

Currently driving a 2015 SC which is the most amazing long distance car I have owned. Have also owned a variety of Mercedes, all of which have failed badly at some stage of their life.

Range Rovers remind me of a tall mistress- look great at a party, expensive but excellent for why you buy them and can be lots of fun but will make your life miserable if you don’t service them regularly and properly.

Hope this insight helps in your search for the holy grail.

Post #493251 22nd Oct 2018 2:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>