Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > Range Rover PHEV - Owner's Reviews?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue
Range Rover PHEV - Owner's Reviews?

I guess there are a few out there now. How are people getting on with them? I have a confirmed order to replace my 4.4SDV8.

I'd love to hear some general impressions and also specifically, the long journey experience. Once the battery is exhausted, I guess that there is a bit of regen braking to top it up enough to ensure one has the power to overtake in short bursts.

Post #494983 8th Nov 2018 10:48am
CUE99T

Scotland 

I would love one, but need a towbar, but would like to see anyone whos put one on their car and see if it's resaonable.

Anyone got a fixed towbar on a normal one? all smug in my new plug!

2021 Westminster Black D300
2013 Vogue SE - gone
Some Porsche Cayenne guff pretending to be a 4x4!!
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #495027 8th Nov 2018 4:36pm
Gt3gooner

United Kingdom 

6000 miles down in mine now. Had a few early ‘hiccups’ with it but generally okay now and really enjoying the whole experience. Won’t get into the mpg debate as some on here get a bit precious about the subject and seem to want to rubbish the whole PHEV concept.

What I will say is the usable battery range is mid 20 miles either as pure EV or as a combo with the ICE. Indicated range when fully charged varies from as high as 31 to as low as 20 miles for no obvious reason. I mix charging between 13a plug and 7.5kw charge post and get the same mixed results with both.

On a long run and when the battery is depleted you do get some regen but not really enough to boost an overtake, more like a battery launch from standstill before quick cut over to the ICE.

It does feel rudely quick off the mark when giving it berries with battery and ICE working together. Needless to say battery doesn’t last too long!!!

Post #495042 8th Nov 2018 7:48pm
Emperor Mong

So, say 100 miles into a journey, does it feel like a 2.0l car?

Post #495049 8th Nov 2018 10:30pm
Gt3gooner

United Kingdom 

Yes with a 300bhp engine. I had a new 3.0d on loan for 3 weeks when mine was off the road for repair and was very happy to get the phev back for both performance and economy.

Yes it’s a 4 cylinder engine but you only notice it when thrashing the engine. Given the type of vehicle and the torque with or without battery assistance that doesn’t often happen.

I think you and I both have somethings more suitable for a more spirited drive!!

Post #495061 9th Nov 2018 9:53am
CUE99T

Scotland 

Not sure what was said before about mpg, all input from forum members is valued in my eyes, but tbh thats not why I would buy it, if I wanted decent MPG I'd buy a skateboard. Laughing It would be the BIK reason.

I'd be keen to understand the exact same thing Mong says. When I had the outlander, what I didn't like (apart from the rubbish plastic dash and 25% more cost than a diesel) was when it ran out of battery the 2.0 was quite noisy when under heavy load. I probably already know the answer from your mention above GT3. But would rather hear from the horses mouth. all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #495062 9th Nov 2018 9:59am
Gt3gooner

United Kingdom 

BiK was why I signed up for the phev. I moved from a 3.0d bmw which was a great car but not a patch on this one. I have no concern regarding the quality of the performance or comfort of the drive train. It does not compromise the RR experience IMHO.

If you consistently do long journeys then I would err towards a diesel. For me, 90% of my journeys are commuting 45 miles each way, setting off with a full battery for each journey. So for 90% of my journeys I am consistently recording 50 to 65 mpg over those journeys. For the other 10% of my journeys over a longer mileage, then the mpg drops like a stone down to high 20s.

As with all vehicle choices, it’s horses for courses. For my circumstances BiK and mpg make compellling logical reasons to take the opportunity to have a great RR which happens to be a phev.

Post #495064 9th Nov 2018 10:23am
CUE99T

Scotland 

Totally agree mate. For me it's the BIK. Otherwise my next will be a 3.0 AB with SVO kit and 22" if I can sort a deal.

What size are the wheels you have? And what trim did you take? all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #495070 9th Nov 2018 10:57am
Gt3gooner

United Kingdom 

Mine is a pretty bog standard VSE (remember options add to the BiK calculation!!). I went for Corris grey with vintage tan interior (wasn’t sure about that but really like it as do almost all who’ve seen it). Only options spec’d are black roof, sliding pano, privacy glass and de-badged (not that green as to shout about the phev!!).

Runs on standard 21s in silver. They look the part and I didn’t want anything darker. Personally think darker wheels are better suited to sports cars in bold colours. A Guards Red GT3 with gunmetal wheels for example Wink

Post #495075 9th Nov 2018 11:35am
CUE99T

Scotland 

I thought Vintage tan was an AB option only?? all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #495088 9th Nov 2018 1:20pm
Gt3gooner

United Kingdom 

Was a standard option on the VSE when I ordered in December last year, haven’t checked since. If I were to spec again I might go for a darker wood or piano black option for the trim, brown and another brown is a bit ‘brown’....

Post #495090 9th Nov 2018 1:42pm
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Was driving over 'The Lecht' towards Inverness last weekend when I came upon a brand new Hybrid FFRR Phev with its hazard lights on, stuck half-way up the steepest section of the road. I stopped next to him and asked if he needed help. The response was a rather annoyed public school voice which employed a number of swear words (the F word just doesn't sound right in that accent), stating that this fCensoredn' thing was just a week old and it was fCensoredn' pointless. Shocked

I suggested that my trusty old TDV8 could tow him out of danger to the next layby/viewpoint, about 100yds further up the hill. This would be much better than sitting on the carriageway and would also be an improvement for the LR assist chap too, whenever he was anticipated to arrive. It was also getting dark which only added to the problem.

I was then surprised to be told that the fCensoredn' thing had become stuck in 'Park' and that the fCensoredn' chap at L.R. had insisted on the phone that they don't try to fCensoredn' tow it anywhere. The chap, resplendent in his tweeds, then asked if I could take him, his lady passenger (also in tweed) and his luggage (presumably tweed) to some shooting estate further into the highlands because he just wanted to leave the fCensoredn' thing there and never see it again.

Someone who can drop £100k on a vehicle and then just abandon it at the roadside within a week sounds like the perfect demographic for this machine.... Rolling with laughter

I appologised that I didn't have the room, as my passenger compartment was otherwise enganged (we had stacks of stuff in the back of the car) so we just had to leave him where he was parked. A wry smile appeared on my face as my ten year old TDV8 roared into life and sped off up the UK's second highest road!! Whistle The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #495096 9th Nov 2018 3:16pm
CUE99T

Scotland 

Thats just too funny......and not so funny for the poor chap who got stranded.

On the brown/brown/....totally agree. Like the black lthr with the Kalazibibiiizzziii or whatever it's called...lol all smug in my new plug!

2013 Vogue SE - gone
2006 Vogue
2004 Vogue
2001 Vogue

Post #495105 9th Nov 2018 5:01pm
Emperor Mong

Not really anything to do with it being a PHEV though. Could have been a diesel or petrol one. Plenty of tales about new non-PHEV L405s going wrong and being rejected.

Post #495161 10th Nov 2018 1:40pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

More to the point, how did it get stuck in park on the carriageway? I've never known a car to put itself in Park when trundling along in Drive.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #496022 19th Nov 2018 10:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>