Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Wire through firewall behind battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville
Wire through firewall behind battery

Is there a bung behind the battery though which to pass wires? I'm wanting to get IGN power to the battery area so the passenger fuse panel is a good candidate for a piggy-back fuse-holder.
TIA

Post #494982 8th Nov 2018 11:36am
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

There is, I ran a CB aerial coax through it. May I ask why you want the switched feed?, you might be able to use a voltage sensing relay if you want something to turn on when the car is running, a $3 drl controller direct to the battery would work. 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #494985 8th Nov 2018 12:18pm
GraemeS

Thanks Wayne . I suspect that with the cabin air intake removed I'd be able to better see behind the battery.

I'm fitting a little module that I built to close the throttle butterfly for a short while immediately the engine is switched off, to ensure no engine runaway if a turbo blows its seals. The risk of a turbo blowing its seals is low but the result is disastrous if the air intake can't be quickly blocked. The ignition power being cut is not quite the same as pcm shutdown but should be near enough. I can program a short delay if needed.

Post #494994 8th Nov 2018 1:06pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Are you sure that what your trying to do isn't already done by the ECU anyway ? Modern throttle bodies naturally rest in a stuck shut position unless explicitely opened by a PWM signal feeding the motor that opens it. The whole idea being to stop just what you describe.

It's why you hear a whine and clicking when you put the ignition to stage 2 which is all the PWM signals holding open the throttle bodies ready for cranking.

Similarly there are shut down procedures the engine follows where it closes valves to kill the engine then opens then afterwards to allow the inlets tract to vent to prevent gas build up.

Run on isn't really something you hear of these days. You might be interfering with the system to the point it throws a wobbly V8 or else ...

Post #495155 10th Nov 2018 1:53pm
GGDR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

A member lost an engine recently due to runaway:
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic48947.html
L405 SDV8.
. Cheers, Greg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2011 Vogue SE 4.4 with lots of toys in Stornaway

Post #495156 10th Nov 2018 2:00pm
GraemeS

The 4.4's butterfly is spring-loaded to the open position, requiring power to wind it closed, as is the 3.0 TDV6's in my son's D4.

I'm at the stage of needing to do the wiring, having setup for a gentle close of the butterfly. I'd added a half second delay for the first live test to give the pcm time to react to the loss of IGN power but can add more time if the pcm needs more time to stop checking the continuity of the motor circuit (which I doubt that it does especially during shut-down), as the butterfly motor is disconnected from the pcm to avoid any possibility of inappropriate voltage feed-back to the pcm.

I have yet to test whether the pwm signal that works well on the 4.4's butterfly motor is also suitable for the TDV6 but can easily have different s/w versions if needed. I can also add jumpers to the pcb to allow the same module to be used on different engine configurations if necessary.

Some months ago a very new SDV8 RRS's engine flew apart during a runaway having had a poor backyard remapping and plenty of TDV6 engines have self-destructed too. Obviously LR/Ford have not implemented closing of the throttle for a while after engine shutdown nor during unexplained/uncontrolled revving.

Post #495182 10th Nov 2018 8:42pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

No worries, my comments on closed throttle bodies were from a non-LR engine and I would have imagined that you'd want an engine to rest in a shut position ... but hey ! Good luck with the project. V8 or else ...

Post #495539 14th Nov 2018 11:00am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

if its any help i stuck my wire through the rubber grommet where the bonnet release cable goes [on left of engine bay as you look from the front]

Post #495540 14th Nov 2018 11:27am
GraemeS

Thanks Stan. However I'm looking for the most direct route from the pcm to the fuse panel behind the passenger glove-box so will try behind the battery when I get a chance.

I have established that the 2.7/3.0 butterfly motor requires full 12V. The motor is directly coupled to the butterfly, not via a gearbox. The 3.6 also uses a gearbox and will be hoping to test it on my brother's MY08 RRS which will need 1 for each throttle housing. A jumper on the pcb will be used to identify the different engines.

Post #495545 14th Nov 2018 11:55am
GraemeS

I abandoned the idea of running wires through to the fuse panel as being too much work, instead sourcing the ignition power from the IGN wire at the ecu connector. Permanent 12V was sourced via a fuse from the battery terminal's unused bolt and earth from the stud beside the battery.

The throttle closer is now fitted. It closes the butterfly in a single operation after having given the ECM a 500 ms head start. No faults were recorded in multiple quick start/stop cycles and no apparent adverse effects including switching off the ignition whilst holding 2000 rpm, not that I switch off at other than idle anyway. A medium pitch hum is audible with the bonnet open but silent with the bonnet closed.

The throttle motor + & - wires were very accessible at the ecm connector, being the top 2 at the clear end of the connector and wire bundle. The ignition wire is in the other, smaller connector and is also very accessible.

My son's 3.0 D4 is the next candidate.

Post #496526 25th Nov 2018 1:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1