Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Water in boot, boot seal beginning to rust on drivers side.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
b348xyx

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue
Water in boot, boot seal beginning to rust on drivers side.

Hi,

So after noticing water on boot carpet on drivers side, I found the boot seal on drivers side top corner has began to leak and looks like the seal has started to rust a little and then runs down the pillar and into the boot spare wheel area.

Now I noticed when removing the boot seal there seems to be clear silicone the whole whole around on the boot seal.

When the boot seal was fitted was any silicone used from factory ? Or has someone long time ago before me used silicone to seal this when they replace the seal? Or to stop a leak? It’s been fine for last 5/6 years.

So question is should I replace the seal which I read online is common thing to fail as bad design and remove all the left over silicone

Or

Should I remove current seal and use some rtv sealer on the top corners and see if that fixes the issue

Or

Replace the seal and then use a little silicone the whole way round it like seems to have been done before ?

Thanks for any advice I’m advance. 2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 - Adriatic blue

2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 -Maintenance History Click Here = http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39687.html

Post #498006 9th Dec 2018 1:57pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

I replaced my seal some years ago due to leakage.
The old seal appears to have had a white non setting mastic in the fitting grove. Although non setting I had to remove some of this mastic from the body flange over which the seal sits due to it having gone hard.
The new seal I fitted also had a white non setting mastic in the fitting grove which presumably is the water proofing.
No silicone anywhere to be seen.
If your seal is in good enough condition and you can remove it and all the silicone it's possibly worth buying a tube of non setting mastic and refit it.
The top corners seem to be the vulnerable points for failure.

Post #498008 9th Dec 2018 2:08pm
Zebedee

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Santorini Black

Buy a new seal.

It doesn't need any silicone when you fit it, though does need to be positioned correctly. There are 2 firmer parts of the seal that are supposed to fit where the 2 tailgates meet. If the seal is not positioned correctly, this will be too high on one side and too low on the other. Current:
- 2013 L405 4.4 TDV8 Vogue
Sold:
- 2004 L322 4.4 Vogue (BRC LPG)
- 2002 L322 4.4 HSE (having fixed timing chain guides)
- 2000 P38 4.6 Vogue (BRC LPG)
- 1981 2-door In-Vogue
- 1980 Ex-Army SIII LWB
- 1976 SIII LWB
- 1968 SIIA
Stripped for parts:
- 2003 L322 4.4 Vogue

Post #498009 9th Dec 2018 2:27pm
b348xyx

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Thanks for the reply’s,

Be be honest it may have been a setting mastic as it’s the whole way round. I just thought it looked liked silicone, it cleaned off very easy.

I will have a look around at prices for the seal and go from there. Looking at the top corners I am surprised it has not leaked before now to be honest.

Thanks 2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 - Adriatic blue

2003 Range Rover 4.4 Litre V8 -Maintenance History Click Here = http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic39687.html

Post #498015 9th Dec 2018 3:01pm
Paul thornton

United Kingdom 

I bought a new seal and used clear silicon for belt and braces. The original stuff they use is like chewing gum!

Although my seal was rusty and baggy on the corners replacing it didn't fix the issue. Mine was leaking through the tow bar mounts behind the bumper.

Post #498049 9th Dec 2018 9:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1