Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L405) > L405 Reversing camera problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
160dmb

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
L405 Reversing camera problem

Anyone had problems with the reversing camera in their L405 failing due to the wiring in the tailgate?

I am having a huge issue with my local LR dealer - Lookers Bishop's Stortford.

The car is under extended warranty and the reversing camera stopped working.

They have had the car for two weeks now - I can't get a handle on who the delay is with: the warranty company or dealer but my hunch is it's the dealership based on their response times to various issues.

They changed the camera after theoretically checking the wiring - only for it not to be the camera apparently.
They now have the centre console out, the tailgate stripped and have dropped the headlining to trace where the fault is and the latest leg of the story is the loom that goes from the roof down the side of the tailgate which has high resistance.

The story now is they have to cut the rear screen out to investigate/replace - can anyone tell me if this makes any sense, please?

I am getting punted from pillar to post and they say they can't provide me with a courtesy car until Jan. One I have a bit more clarity I will post a report on the dealer but suffice to say they probably could do with avoiding.

Love to hear thoughts on the camera wiring if anyone can enlighten me.

Thank you
David 2016 (L405) Autobiography in Black with Ivory - for ULEZ
2014 (L405) VSE in Black with Ivory
2011 (L322) VSE in Black with Ivory
2005 (3.2 V6) Porsche Cayenne in Black with Savanna
1999 (P38) VSE in Burgundy (?) with Sand

Post #497775 6th Dec 2018 3:52pm
Ohwhatalad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

not had mine fail but it is WOEFUL quality, not sure if have faulty lense/smokey or misty

i have 360 cam system and every camera is shocking, my 2010 jaguar XJ had 10x better quality and so did my 2014 mercedes c200.

hope you get it sorted either way Thumbs Up

Post #497782 6th Dec 2018 4:27pm
bestman

The reversing camera, on my disaster of a vehicle, has failed yet again...

Going in on Tuesday for them to have another crack.

First time it just disappeared - ie was not selectable, and did not engage, when reverse was selected.

When it came back from the dealership the guidance lines were not present - which they sorted by 'replacing the whole system'.

A few days later it disappeared again.

It's quite amazing I have had more issues with the L405 in 3 months and 5k, than I did with Disco 3 in 12 years and 250k.

Post #497971 9th Dec 2018 8:30am
160dmb

That is my issue. When I select reverse nothing happens on the reversing camera at all.

To be clear the parking sensors work on the rear when reverse is selected but nothing happens on the infotainment screen at all - so if I am looking at the navigation screen or the tuner section (or anything else) when I select reverse then nothing happens at all on the infotainment screen - not even a flicker.

It is as if the car does not know that I have selected reverse - although obviously it does because the car goes backwards and the reversing sensors work!

An independent dealership confirms that the car does not “see” the camera at all. In a Porsche PCM instillation that means that the system has not been told there is a camera in the loom - a mark in a tick box can enable the PCM to go and look for the camera and display it on the PCM screen and that is the nearest analogy I can make.

If there was a change in the infotainment screen - even if there was a rubbish or non existent picture I would at least know that the car was looking for a camera and had found one - but that’s not the problem here.

I have been without the car for two weeks and despite daily visits and four emails to the dealer principal I have absolutely no satisfaction (in fact not even an acknowledgement of any one of my emails to the DP) so I have told them to put the car back together and I will take it to another dealership with the warranty companies blessing.

Anyone who has seen this issue before and/or can point me in the right direction will be hailed as a god Thumbs Up

To say I am frustrated would be something of an understatement - once it is sorted I will write a summary of the solution and the frustrations with the dealership because they have made some frightening mistakes in recent times like putting 6 5 instead of 9 litres of oil in at a recent service. 2016 (L405) Autobiography in Black with Ivory - for ULEZ

Post #497972 9th Dec 2018 9:25am
bestman

We seem to have exactly the same issue.

Clearly Harwoods Basingstoke are similarly puzzled about how to fix it.

For me this is the last of a long list of issues.

I don't think ownership of the L405s is financially viable without a warrantee; and definitely does not suit my buy and run it for 10 years strategy.

I wish I'd never bought the bloody thing, just need two decide whether to exit now at huge cost, or in a couple of years. I reckon recent Disco 4 may be the go.

Met a bloke yesterday who is doing some consulting work for JLR. He said they are fully aware of the huge reputational damage currently being done as a result of the quality issues they are suffering.

let me know how you get on and I will do likewise.

Post #497976 9th Dec 2018 9:42am
Mariana Black

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Mariana Black

Hi 160dmb
I have just carried out a mod to my car and added the reversing camera washer as mine is a 14M5 model and it was not a option / standard. In doing this I have to run a tube up the pillars in the tailgate. The whole tailgate is fibre glass and both side pillars carry cables and tubes. If the rear panel is removed from the lid under the glass - again beware of the light sensor that will need disconnecting then all access to any wires and modules are possible.

At the top of the tailgate if the rear spoiler is removed (by five bolts) - what out for wires that need disconnecting then the wiring loom can be seen. (picture)

I had to disconnect the camera and change the housing for the one with the washer but the camera I believe is the same on the whole car - front and sides - but not 100% sure.

Hope my findings are of some help, as I cannot see why the rear screen has to be removed. If you look on Ebay then you can see tailgates with smashed screen and the access to the cables is no easier or any help. I think the removal of the rear screen means they dont know what they are doing. IMHO

Click image to enlarge

3.0 14M5 Autobiography

Post #498007 9th Dec 2018 1:06pm
160dmb

Hi Marianna Black. Thank you for that. Your hunch is similar to mine regarding their knowledge level. 2016 (L405) Autobiography in Black with Ivory - for ULEZ

Post #498052 9th Dec 2018 9:07pm
Greenlight

160dmb - did you get this sorted - I am a new owner and am experiencing similar issues. It would be really helpful to know how you got it fixed?

Thank you Thumbs Up

Post #523613 2nd Aug 2019 4:14pm
Charles89

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Scotia Grey

I am also having issues... although intermittent, but has been getting worse.

So far I have had all the cameras replaced... much to the dismay of my mortgage advisor...

I get a yellow warning triangle in the DIS saying "Camera system fault" it then displays only the sensor proximity on the screen not the images...

I tow trailers so it's most annoying, and I hate having a warning message.

The dealers have suggested it may be a wiring issue or a control module issue... can anyone tell me where the module is located? I will do my own investigation, and maybe replace the module for a second hand one to see if that cures the issue.

Post #528410 18th Sep 2019 5:19am
Greenlight

Update on my issue - the dealer changed the camera which didn't make any difference so followed the wiring to a failed connection which is near the centre console / drivers footwell area. They are going to have to replace some of the wiring so it hasn't been simple and the new part is about 6 - 8 weeks on back order. I am still waiting for the new wiring to resolve this issue...

Post #528415 18th Sep 2019 6:58am
rsdave137

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography TDV6 Santorini Black
camera fault

hi, sorry for awakening an old post
just wondering if you managed to fix fault
thanks

Post #562293 21st Jul 2020 9:09pm
thereferee

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Balmoral Blue
Replacing Camera

Hi I am looking to replace my rear reversing camera as its packed up, but cant seem to locate it
I have taken the inner back panel off, but cant see where the camera is

All help welcome

Post #601938 27th Jul 2021 6:46am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

the reverse camera is located just above the reg number,

Click image to enlarge
 ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #601942 27th Jul 2021 7:31am
thereferee

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Balmoral Blue

Thank you Stan, so I go from the outside, and not through the internal back panel!!!!
well that is a great deal easier Smile

Post #601948 27th Jul 2021 8:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1