Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Dead Range Rover L322 (no medium speed canbus)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Kevrobbo1961

England 
Dead Range Rover L322 (no medium speed canbus)

Hi people,
new to the forum,looking if anyone has come across my problem before,
2010 L322 3.6 tdv8
2 week`s ago on a really hot day i went to pick my grandson up,car started fine but it was roasting hot so air con went on straight away, 10 minuted into the drive i had a warning come on to the touch screen saying low voltage and the every thing started to shut down, first the touch screen then the air con then the LCD cluster lit up like a Christmas tree then went black,
the engine was still running fine so pulled over and switched the engine off hoping that everything would re-set, wrong thing to do Sad message came up on the dash, NO SMART KEY FOUND, sat there for ages to no avail, walked to get my spare spare smart key but still nothing, decided to leave it over night and call recovery, that night managed to find a few threads on tinterweb about placing the smart key below the steering wheel, went back next morning and tied this and managed to get it started but still had no central locking,electric windows,LCD cluster so on and so on,
drove it down to my local indy JLR garage where he plugged it in to Land Rover main dealer hub, came back with no medium speed canbus,
to cut a very long story a little shorter,they`ve swapped the Central Control Board (BCU) and the smart key ECU, both brand new parts and it`s still saying no medium speed canbus,
oh and by the way the car now won`t start because they`ve managed to clear the code from the smart key somehow,
any help wouldbe very much appreciated,losing the will to live at the moment....

Post #484378 26th Jul 2018 1:09pm
andygts

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I'm guessing they've checked the obvious, battery and alternator?

failing that I'd look at what could be damaged and pulling the can network down, obvious place to start is in the boot around the audio/nav components. Current
2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo
+ Many other non LR products

Post #484385 26th Jul 2018 3:22pm
Kevrobbo1961

England 

i stuck a new battery on it for them last week Andy at a cost of £198 Big Cry iv`e been in the motor trade for 40 years and it`s blown me away that a low voltage problem can cause a problem as big and as expensive as this, JLR need to have a really good look at themselves....

Post #484387 26th Jul 2018 3:44pm
mattstevenson2005

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

Hi Kev

I have some Land Rover wiring diagrams and documentation that you are welcome to if you PM me your email address and I will send over. The MS CAN bus operates on in a loop and spur basis, with the Central junction box (passenger fuse box) and the Instrument cluster acting as the terminating devices of the network at each end of the loop. Its most probably that there is a break in the MS CAN bus wiring somewhere preventing communications. But the dealership should be able to connect their diagnostic equipment, clear any CAN bus errors and attempt to communicate with the individual modules in turn to try and determine whereabouts in the loop there could be a break to narrow the search down.

When they find out what the issue is I would be very keen to know what they find.

Matt Current
2012 Range Rover 5.0L SC Ultimate Edition
2012 Range Rover 4.4L TDV8 Autobiography
2010 Range Rover 3.6L TDV8 Autobiography
2003 Range Rover 4.4L V8 Bespoke Vehicle

Inventor of the retro fit paddle shift and many other modifications.
Creator of the custom 2010+ RR MK4 splash screen.
Creator of the Range Rover CarPC and lots more!

Founder of Range Rover Owner
rangeroverowner.com | Facebook.com/RangeRoverOwner | Latest Videos ➞ YouTube.com/RangeRoverOwner

Post #484388 26th Jul 2018 3:49pm
Kevrobbo1961

England 

Hi Matt,
i`ve just tried to PM you but it won`t let me yet as i have to write at least 3 posts Big Cry i`ve just read on one of the forum`s that the L322 is quite common for leaking condensation into the passenger side footwell, as i said it was an absolutely roasting day so the Air con was on full chatt, i`d been out in it earlier in the day with no problem at all, i`m wondering if there`s any can bus connectors or ECU`s under the passenger side foot well carpet that could have got water ingress, probably best nipping down to see them tomorrow to see if the carpets damp, mind you it will probably be bone dry by now with this weather and being in there for nearly 3 weeks,
it really p---s`s me off because i`ve had it for 3 years and i can honestly say that this is the first ever problem despite all the horror stories you hear about Range Rover`s....

Post #484392 26th Jul 2018 4:51pm
buck66

Canada 2010 Range Rover HSE 5.0 V8 Zermatt Silver

Hi Kev, I experienced a very similar issue with my 2010 RR HSE 5.0L V8 (North American version).

I went out to grab lunch and while driving, a whole series of warnings popped up on the cluster, the first in the series was something to the effect of Tyre Pressure Monitoring system error. This was soon followed by radio, nav and HVAC systems shutting down. I continued to drive and within a minute the radio, nav and HVAC all seemed to reboot and be fine. The warnings on the cluster stayed until I restarted the vehicle. Upon restart everything seemed fine.

Later in the day, I stopped at a home improvements store to grab a few things. Walking across the parking lot with my Honey Do list items I hit the unlock button on the fob, my daughter hopped into the back seat while I loaded everything into the boot. I walked around opened drivers door got in and noticed that TFT display did not light up as normal. Attempted to start vehicle and display shows Smart Key Not Found. Attempted the "place fob by left knee kick panel" trick (left knee---left drive vehicle) but it still did not recognize the fob. Called my wife to bring spare fob. She arrived with fob and it still would not recognize it. Observations at this time, most electronic items in vehicle would not work eg. radio, hazard flashers, also when hitting the lock/unlock buttons the turn indicators would not flash. The windows would go do down but not up. I was glad they went down because it was also a scorching hot day and very humid....not so happy that they wouldn't go up when it started to spit rain! I tried a few items, battery boost box, disconnect and reconnect battery but no change. I also tried to read codes with my Nanocom but it could not connect with main computers. So I called for recovery. Recovery arrived and went through everything with them decided to tow home. They rigged up the dollies to the front wheels and lifted the back of the rover. They began the "drive of shame" and as soon as they started to drive away I hit the unlock button and noticed the turn signals flashed....confident that it would now start, I flagged them down and told them I think it will now start. They lowered the truck, I hopped in, display showed Low Battery but fired right away. They disconnected the dollies, etc and I drove home 20 miles no problems. Truck has been fine ever since 1.5 weeks. The Nanocom reader indicates a whole series of Medium Speed Can Bus communication problems. Battery is approx 2 months old, it was holding 12.2V right after this incident (not where I would expect but probably OK as I was fiddling with all the electrical items in the truck....headlights would turn on through the whole incident). After starting, the voltage at the battery was 14.4V which seems appropriate. Ever since I have been trying to sort this out because my experience (I have 3 other Rovers) is that Land Rover electrical problems don't go away they just hibernate. Having said that my 2010 Range Rover has been fantastic. I haven't had any issues at all with it...this is the first.

I also had read about water ingress although I haven't found any evidence of this. I have been contemplating that jacking the rear of the vehicle caused water to drain from wherever it was pooling and allowed things to come back to life....again this is only hypothetical as I have found no clear evidence of water pooling. I have also hypothesized that jacking the vehicle jostled things around and reconnected a loose connection or slightly broken CAN Bus wire...
again no evidence for this other than the vehicle works fine now. Resetting then rereading the codes still produces a host of Medium Speed CAN Bus faults/communication errors however everything in the vehicle seems to work fine. Let me know
what you find?
jeff

Post #485001 2nd Aug 2018 11:20am
Kevrobbo1961

England 

Hi Folks,
update on the car, all fixed now, yeah Razz , the Range Rover was in the garage for 21 weeks in total, after swapping out numerous KVM and CJB and other ecu units the actual problem was the drivers side front seat module ecu which i got myself, this was £330 and as soon as it was plugged in the medium speed canbus system started to wake up,
the garage bill was an extortionate amount of money just for the labour but if i`m honest i`m just glad to have it back Thumbs Up

Post #497835 7th Dec 2018 1:58pm
holidaychicken

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

That is really good of you to post back your solution, so many don’t bother once their vehicle is fixed. Thumbs Up

Post #497974 9th Dec 2018 9:29am
Highroller

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

It's crazy how that unit can cause such a problem. Fair play to you for persevering & reporting the outcome Thumbs Up

Post #497980 9th Dec 2018 10:22am
tony66

Scotland 2005 Range Rover HSE Td6 Tonga Green
canbus

would unplugging the unit allow the rest of the car to work normally...?

Post #497981 9th Dec 2018 10:23am
chefkenmore

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Similar problems here! Can’t even get my ignition lights on at the moment! Car has thrown up almost every fault available, hit a huge puddle last week! Whether that has any consequence!
Car now at Mike Park awaiting attention!
Not fun walking 4 miles to work!
Any pointers 2007 VOGUE SE 3.6 TDV8

Post #497983 9th Dec 2018 10:24am
Kevrobbo1961

England 

Hi, it`s the least i could do to post the out come,someone might find them selves in a similar situation and could save themselves a fortune,
Hi Tony66,
when we unplugged the drivers seat module it did start to wake other ECU module up, we actually got the LCD clocks on the instrument cluster working and also audible sound from the hazard warning lights from the instrument cluster, the only problem was that all data had been wiped from the smart keys so there was no way of starting the car off the button, as soon as we replaced the seat module it completed the medium speed canbus system and allowed the laptop using JLR SDD to see the KVM, as soon as this happened it allowed us to reprogram the keys and within 10 seconds it was up and running,YESSSSSSSS happy times, it still cost me a lot of money but if i`d have listened to the main stealers it would have cost me a hell of a lot more,
they were adamant that it was the LCD instrument cluster that had gone tits up because that`s where the medium speed meets the high speed canbus system, £1600 plus VAT they wanted,but they wear`nt willing to take it back if that was`nt the problem, main dealers ey,
there`s nowt i don`t know about bloody canbus systems now...
merry Christmas everyone Thumbs Up
kev..

Post #498225 11th Dec 2018 5:18pm
RJDS

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Galway Green

Thanks for the update Kev. U 2010 TDV8 3.6 Galway Green

Post #498300 12th Dec 2018 12:51pm
tony66

Scotland 2005 Range Rover HSE Td6 Tonga Green
update

so if the earlier work hadnt been done more than likely it would have been fine unplugging the effected module...?

sounds simple but unplugging every different module in the car and retrying is very time consuming
who would have thought that a faulty seat module would bring a mighty rngie to a dead halt-bad bad design that it has to be said

Post #498303 12th Dec 2018 1:26pm
Kevrobbo1961

England 

possibly, the only thing is as soon as you see smart key not found on the dash and you plug it into the laptop you automatically try to retrieve the key program, by doing this you lose all the codes from the smart key because there`s a break somewhere in the medium speed can system, this will then lock down the KVM stopping you from being able to program the key`s to the KVM because it thinks it`s being stolen and leaves you with a dead car,
if i`m honest i think the system on the Range Rover stinks, i`m all for vehicle security but why the hell would one of the worlds finest car manufacturers design a canbus system that there own software can`t read to find a faulty ECU module without removing everyone individually to see if the rest of the can network wakes up, bloody ridiculous !!!!! Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #498308 12th Dec 2018 2:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>