Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Diesel/fumes smell in cabin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
nubbin

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey
Diesel/fumes smell in cabin

Next question for the team Laughing

I've noticed a slight whiff of diesel/fuel smell coming into the cabin at idle or when stopping at a junction, for instance. Doen't happen when driving at any speed, only when coming to a stop or stopped. Having looked around the internet is dotted with diesel cars with the same issue - some say it is new car plastic/fluids etc buring off, some say it's injector or exhaust manifold leaks. I spoke to the service people yesterday about it whilst having the puncture replaced, and the consensus was new car residues. Have any of you guys with new diesel cars noticed a similar smell, and what happened to rectify it?

Post #498272 12th Dec 2018 8:34am
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Do you use the FBH? There were some issues with exhaust fumes from that. I get it when I reverse from a cold start up.

Post #498285 12th Dec 2018 10:44am
nubbin

I'm not knowingly using the FBH but it operates automatically as part of the emissions efficiency I understand from elsewhere. There is a thread on here relating to older L405s, with a fix put out by LR in about 2015/6. Might be another trip to the dealer!

Post #498286 12th Dec 2018 10:54am
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Some other threads:
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic31172.html
http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic24543.html

Post #498292 12th Dec 2018 11:56am
nubbin

Thanks EM - I've booked the car in on Friday quoting some of the useful information from the threads and other stuff around the internet. I'll be glad to get these teething issues sorted out so I can enjoy the car even more. I'm not going to get uppity about it, (well not yet! Laughing) just get stuff sorted to my satisfaction.

Post #498301 12th Dec 2018 12:55pm
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Do you get the smell just first thing in the morning ie when stone cold? or through the day when the car may be already warm when starting?

From stone cold, I occasionally get a whiff - I fairly sure its from the FBH. Never smell it again.....apart from when an EGR pipe split buts thats a separate story.

Post #498312 12th Dec 2018 2:31pm
nubbin

It's hard to judge fully, I've only had the car 5 days and had a puncture for 2 of those! It appears when slowing down or stopping, and it was the first thing I noticed when I drove the car away from the dealer. Since most of my journeys so far have been relatively short it probably is the FBH but it still shouldn't come in to the cabin. However, I did have a couple of blasts down the motorway in the past couple of days, and the smell still appeared when I slowed down for junctions, turning into my house etc.

I've booked it in at the dealer on Friday to check for leaks, loose injectors, manifold tightness etc.

Post #498329 12th Dec 2018 4:34pm
Fleagle_UK

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Make sure they do a smoke test to test for leaks.

Also, i dont think the occasional whiff of diesel fumes is abnormal. The fbh is often the reason. I know there was a technical bulletin on earlier 405s to route the fumes differently (or something).

Also remeber the cabin filter is designed to remove partiulates from the air coming into the car and wont remove all smells. Filters with Active charcoal do a more complete job.

All that said better off getting it checked out. You dont wanna mess with poisonous fumes Shocked

Post #498332 12th Dec 2018 5:02pm
nubbin

Car went in to the dealership first thing this morning. Injectors checked, exhaust and manifold all checked, fuel burning heater checked - and apparently there was a leak in the FBH. This has been rectified, and on the way home, and various Christmas shopping trips, through slow town traffic then Friday rush hour, and no smell! Result!

I'm glad I had it checked and fair play to the dealership (JCT 600 in Doncaster), they got the car in within two days, gave me an Evoque courtesy car (opinion? - F-Pace in a shell suit) and had it back to me within 4 hours. The service guy I dealt with even apologised that I had received a car with a problem that needs sorting out so soon after taking ownership, which is excellent customer relations.

Now it's time to get on with the serious business of enjoying our wonderful, brilliant, magnificent car! (...and adding a few little bits I've bought as enhancements to my personal ownership experience, a.k.a. a bit of bling!)

Post #498667 14th Dec 2018 11:40pm
socialrover

United Kingdom 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Santorini Black

Thats nice to hear Nubbin , always refreshing to hear of excellent service - Hope you don't need to use them again ,but good to know some competent back up is there if you need it .

Enjoy the awesome car .

Post #498684 15th Dec 2018 7:20am
Kace

United Kingdom 

Nubbin, how would you describe the smell? Was it very dense/sweet almost like gas? (British version of gas, similar to that from a stove)

Would you also say that the car when idle gave off a lot of gas like smell when standing beside it?

Lastly, what year is your car?

Post #498737 15th Dec 2018 2:43pm
nubbin

Hi Kace - the smell is a vague whiff of diesel exhaust fumes just as you might get if the window is open or such like. It wasn't really strong, and only at odd times. It's a bit like the smell you get when refuelling a diesel car, but warm. My car is new - just over a week old.

Post #498878 17th Dec 2018 12:32am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

I’ve noticed it too, really quite strong in the cab on a cold morning.

Post #498884 17th Dec 2018 9:30am
nubbin

If the smell you are getting is very strong, then it needs looking at.

I will admit I am still ocasionally getting a slight whiff now and again, but I'm not sure if it isn't just natural pick up of external fumes into the air intake to the cabin - it certainly isn't a strong or persistent smell. Lasts only a second or two and isn't very frequent.

I haven't noticed it from a cold start either - is that possibly just a lot of fumes gathering around a stationary car that is using a lot of fuel to get going, and as a result some of it getting sucked into the cabin? Just speculating....

Post #498947 17th Dec 2018 5:50pm
Kace

United Kingdom 

Invest in this. Changed the air quality substantially. I no longer get the start up blast of exhaust fumes on a cold start. Overall cabin air quality is very good now. Seems like the stock one supplied is just a bit of paper.

Mann Frecious Plus Cabin FilterProduct Code: 507820319

Available on euro car parts.

Post #499120 19th Dec 2018 10:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>