Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Heating and A/C vents
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sportin

United States 2006 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black
Heating and A/C vents

Hi everyone new here....got a weird problem...

I own a 06MY Full size RR HSE
Air and heat work fine,they blow hot and cold, and the blower works, but when you select either the top, front, or foot outputs on the heater/AC controls, the vents take very long, or don't engage to the newly selected position. Sometimes the blower is running strong, but there is no air output at all, anywhere. If I turn on the AC switch, the vent motors will engage after about 20 seconds, to the desired location. From what I can figure out, it doesn't appear to be the resistor. Has anyone had this problem before???

Post #54257 12th Mar 2011 4:04pm
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green
Re: Heating and A/C vents

sportin wrote:
Hi everyone new here....got a weird problem...

I own a 06MY Full size RR HSE
Air and heat work fine,they blow hot and cold, and the blower works, but when you select either the top, front, or foot outputs on the heater/AC controls, the vents take very long, or don't engage to the newly selected position. Sometimes the blower is running strong, but there is no air output at all, anywhere. If I turn on the AC switch, the vent motors will engage after about 20 seconds, to the desired location. From what I can figure out, it doesn't appear to be the resistor. Has anyone had this problem before???

You need to leave the A/C on all the time, it is climate control, it's designed to be left on and you set the temperature.

Leave it on and see how it behaves then, it's quite clever and trys to "out think" you sometimes. For example if the coolant in the heater matrix isn't warm in won't blow to the vents or feet if it's cold in the car... 

Post #54259 12th Mar 2011 4:30pm
sportin

I was trying to conserve fuel...so I thought by shutting off the A/C and just using the traditional heating, method, basically not using the A/C function for heating, that it would work, and that I should be able to select the vents. I guess this another one of those little functionality things you tend to figure out along the way while owning a RR.
I thought that there may have been a problem since this hasn't ever happened on any other vehicle that I've owned with CC.
Thx

Post #54264 12th Mar 2011 4:48pm
T24RES

United Kingdom 

The FFRR experience is anything but straight forward. World of its own, on so many levels.... Laughing Ian

Post #54266 12th Mar 2011 4:54pm
dan_uk_1984

sportin wrote:
Basically not using the A/C function for heating.

It's worth remembering that the A/C does more than just cool the air when it's hot outside.

In winter it comes on and off to de-humidify the air inside the car - without this you can expect electrical gremlins across all the car's systems. It is also used to balance the temperature of the air when you set the dial to the desired temperature. 

Post #54279 12th Mar 2011 6:02pm
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

I know this is blatant thread hi-jacking but on some mornings when I start up I see my AC has turned itself off along with auto control of inside/outside air and only partial climate control I,e only the LED bar is lit and not the dot above it on the switch what do we think is going on it's head ? 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #54282 12th Mar 2011 6:21pm
dan_uk_1984

axle wrote:
I know this is blatant thread hi-jacking but on some mornings when I start up I see my AC has turned itself off along with auto control of inside/outside air and only partial climate control I,e only the LED bar is lit and not the dot above it on the switch what do we think is going on it's head ?

Mine did this when the blower resistor was messing me around. 

Post #54296 12th Mar 2011 7:49pm
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

sportin wrote:
I was trying to conserve fuel....

And you drive a 4.4V8................... Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
the amount of fuel you save by shutting off the Climate in any large capacity engined car is negligible - better to enjoy the climate than worry about saving less than a thimbleful of fuel on a journey, even switching it to "econ" won't save you much either. 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #54301 12th Mar 2011 8:02pm
sportin

Thank you...you make valid points. The one thing that I didn't take into consideration was the dehumidifying effects of the CC.
The last thing I want is electrical problems.
Off Topic BTW, what causes the air ducks in the cargo area, near the Sat/Nav, to turn on?? Is there a sensor or something? I never felt any output there. I assume that is what helps keep that area dry. 2006 RR 4.4 HSE
2008 Audi A6

Post #54338 12th Mar 2011 11:11pm
dan_uk_1984

sportin wrote:
BTW, what causes the air ducks in the cargo area, near the Sat/Nav, to turn on?? Is there a sensor or something? I never felt any output there. I assume that is what helps keep that area dry.

They are part of the "forced air ventilation system" I think the air exits through them as the rest of the car is relatively well sealed, if they weren't there and you had the fan on it wouldn't work very well due to the build up of cabin pressure. 

Post #54340 12th Mar 2011 11:17pm
JustinP

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

sportin wrote:
BTW, what causes the air ducks in the cargo area, near the Sat/Nav, to turn on?? Is there a sensor or something? I never felt any output there. I assume that is what helps keep that area dry.

My guess is that they also stop the windscreen blowing out when you slam the doors. 
Gone - Range Rover Supercharged 2006

Post #54351 13th Mar 2011 12:22am
Tim in Scotland

Location: Somewhere between here and there, if not then I'm all at sea or at home in Scotland

2010 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

And it is cheaper and less troublesome than making all the windows drop a fraction and then re-close whenever you open and close a door. 2018 Mini Countryman Cooper S E All4 PHEV in Melting Silver - it’s whisper quiet in EV and polluter modes

Post #54378 13th Mar 2011 11:40am
dan_uk_1984

Tim in Scotland wrote:
And it is cheaper and less troublesome than making all the windows drop a fraction and then re-close whenever you open and close a door.

That being said, if I have passengers getting in my car I have got into the habit of leaving my door to be the last one closed otherwise none of them can shut their doors on the first go! 

Post #54384 13th Mar 2011 11:52am
comports

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black

I'm gonna adopt that stance as well Dan. Fed up of shouting at folks... "Whats the matter with you. Can't you even close a door properly..!"

A bit harsh now it seems.

I have a Mercedes CLK Cabriolet as well and this does indeed drop the windows on door open. Suspect to save the roof not blowing off with increased cabin pressure momentarily. Ash
------------------------------------------------------
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #54395 13th Mar 2011 12:12pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

My old RRS was so pressurised it would crumple my water bottles all the time, one guy I knew who also had one said a football burst inside his car! Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #54405 13th Mar 2011 2:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1