Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > battery discharging
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gimmesunshine

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue
battery discharging

Please Help !
weve just got first rangie, a late 2006 tdv8. very pleased until yesterday, was cleaning it for an hour so with radio on, then went to start itr and battery was flat.
the prevous owner has just fitted a new battery which i thought a little odd for a 4 year old car,
so i put it on charge for 10 hours. left it over night not charging, started it first thing no problem.
2 hours later, went to start it again, flat again...
so i have jumped it now and running
but there must be something discharging the battery
i did a bit if searching, seems the final stage resistor might be the culprit, but where do i find this?
also got some surface rust on the inner rear arch lip, which i am dissapointed with. spoke to local dealer on friday about and they dont seem to want to know, but i am taking it one stage further to their body shop and warranty manager, if the battery holds out !
pics will be on soon
thanks

Post #60754 17th Apr 2011 5:51pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Welcome to FFRR ownership and the good old battery drain Whistle

Get used to it Thumbs Up

Post #60756 17th Apr 2011 6:05pm
gimmesunshine

i ve got the panels of now to get to the fsr but i am not sure it looks like the posts
eg
http://bimma.me.uk/2009/03/13/replacing-th...mkiii-2002
being a late 2006 is this likely to be the fault or am i barking up the wrong tree ..!

Post #60767 17th Apr 2011 6:58pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

a very nice bloke by the name of storey has done this write-up

http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php?opti...;Itemid=78 ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #60769 17th Apr 2011 7:06pm
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

When you say it's had a new battery, is it a genuine LR one or aftermarket? The one that should be fitted is huge and it's a really common mistake to fit the smaller/ incorrect batt. My Previous RR's!

2008 TDV8 Vogue
2006 TD6 Vogue
2007 TDV8 Vogue
2007 RRS (I know, it doesn't count!)
2005 4.4 Vogue on LPG
2005 TD6 Vogue
2003 4.4 Vogue
2001 4.6 HSE
2000 2.5 DHSE
1999 4.6 HSE
1997 4.6 HSE on LPG
1995 2.5 DSE
1989 3.9 EFI classic
1988 3.5 EFI classic

Post #60771 17th Apr 2011 7:10pm
gimmesunshine

its a bosch 120A, so its quite large, not sure what it should be
the prevous owner has just told me the alternator was changed too !, hes told me to take it to land rover and he will pay the bill no problem
but i really like to find a definate fault, rather than change this that and the other fingers crossed

i have just noticed that a little orange led is always lit by the drivers electric window swithces (might be becaus e i have the bonnet up as i charging the battery
also the touchscreen and led is not behaving consistently, when i lock the car the display remains on with land rover symbol. but if i unlock, switch the radio on then off then lock the car the display remains off...
perhaps that just me and finger trouble...

Post #60780 17th Apr 2011 9:09pm
bozmandb9

gimmesunshine wrote:
its a bosch 120A, so its quite large, not sure what it should be
the prevous owner has just told me the alternator was changed too !, hes told me to take it to land rover and he will pay the bill no problem
but i really like to find a definate fault, rather than change this that and the other fingers crossed

i have just noticed that a little orange led is always lit by the drivers electric window swithces (might be becaus e i have the bonnet up as i charging the battery
also the touchscreen and led is not behaving consistently, when i lock the car the display remains on with land rover symbol. but if i unlock, switch the radio on then off then lock the car the display remains off...
perhaps that just me and finger trouble...

Sounds like you're lucky with the PO.

I think the Orange Led probably relates to the lock which you can apply to the rear window switches, so quite normal.

Also I think the touchscreen remains on when you lock the car, for a little while.

In all, probably little or no problems, you may have a battery discharge issue I suppose, not unknown in the Range Rover, but fingers crossed for you! Range Rover-less at the moment - Pining!

Post #60790 17th Apr 2011 10:42pm
allycraven

Scotland 

Know the feeling, did the same today - left the radio on for 1hr max while giving it a quick clean and the battery was dead as a dodo when attempting to head to sainsbury's for BBQ goodies. Lesson well and truly learnt Embarassed

On the plus side, must be a new record for LR assist - 7.5 minutes between my call and the AA arriving Bow down! The AA van had just cleared from a 2 week old jag XJ 2 streets away suffering from the same problem... Laughing certainly meant i didn't feel quite so stupid...

Never realise such a massive battery could be drained so quickly. My old audi used to cope with 6-8 hrs of radio on while detailing and not even notice it...looks like a portable jump starter needs to be added to the shopping list!

Post #60792 17th Apr 2011 11:13pm
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

I dint think that light should be on with the ignition off. It sound like it may not be going in and out of sleep mode properly. When you unlock the car it goes into 'wake up' starting up a load of systems in readiness of you starting the car. It stays that way for a pre determined time or until you start it.

I'm not sure of the time scales but the car should go back into sleep mode (everything off) shortly after you lock it. If it's constantly awake that would seriously drain the battery....

Not sure how you'd check this though. There are a few electrical gods on here that might know.

It would be interesting to know whether the battery drain is the same when JUST the radio is on (ignition off) as opposed to all 'ready' systems (ignition off) My Previous RR's!

2008 TDV8 Vogue
2006 TD6 Vogue
2007 TDV8 Vogue
2007 RRS (I know, it doesn't count!)
2005 4.4 Vogue on LPG
2005 TD6 Vogue
2003 4.4 Vogue
2001 4.6 HSE
2000 2.5 DHSE
1999 4.6 HSE
1997 4.6 HSE on LPG
1995 2.5 DSE
1989 3.9 EFI classic
1988 3.5 EFI classic

Post #60801 18th Apr 2011 8:04am
nick h

2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

no consolation but the grand cherokee does the same - radio on for less than 1 hour and battery is flat Sad

whilst its off the road awaiting prep for sale i have to start it every three days or else it goes flat - am trying one of the solar top up chargers to see if this helps

Post #60820 18th Apr 2011 9:21am
gimmesunshine

spoke to landrover dealer today, they said very common, they dont expect the battery to last more than 45 minutes, whilst keys are in it. they said dont leave keys and radio on. They also said its unlikely to be interference from networks as this was fixed on post 2005 cars, ie facelift models with touch screen as is the final stage resistor.
they also confirmed the battery should be a 95amp, and the dont last much more than 4-5 years max so mine being replaced is normal. ive now got a decent 120amp battery so once its fully charged overnight tonight we shall see how nect few days go .
Also had front windows tinted to match rear today. the guy doing it them had a brand new defender in there for the dealers and he said the range rover is notoroious, he does them every week and often has to charge them up to get them out of the workshop after hes been working on them for an hour or so

Post #60896 18th Apr 2011 9:56pm
gimmesunshine

forgot to add, the dealer also asked if we have tv on the move which we havent. they have has poeple complaining subsequent;y found they have had ice shops fit a modified loom to get tv on the move and then subsequently suffer battery drainage

have wondered about fitting led interior lights, there are quite a few so power saving could be worth it

Post #60898 18th Apr 2011 10:44pm
gimmesunshine

so far so good, have found the touchscreen takes approx 7 -10 minutes to go off when locking the car, the dealer said it should take 2 minutes ish. It seemed a bit casual but is 7 minutes normal..?

Post #61040 19th Apr 2011 9:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1