Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Tow bar types
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black
Tow bar types

Finally decided to get a tow bar fitted.

Can't decide between removable one or perm one. The cost is very similar so that ain't an issue.

The only advantage I can see for the perm fitment is that it is height adjustable.

If anyone has some useful advice before I commit to one or the other, it will be gratefully received.

Post #6236 22nd Jun 2009 9:24am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

I use a removable one, the back of the car is spoilt with a big fat towbar as they aren’t really styled to integrate with the car. With a Defender the more lumps of pig iron you can bolt on the better, with a Range Rover it detracts from the aesthetics. 

Post #6237 22nd Jun 2009 10:21am
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Larry

Both are heavy items Sad

Detachable is lockable and stored in the car, when not in use.

Fixed plate is only secured with an R clip through a pin, so could get nicked, if left unattened.

I use the fixed plate, but bolted on, as you are less likly to damage the bumper with hitching, but remove it when not in use, because, as Dan says they both look naff.

I would say just get the electrics and armature and buy my spare fixed plate one. Thumbs Up

Post #6238 22nd Jun 2009 1:21pm
Ivan

Ireland 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Zermatt Silver

I use a Witter fixed "Docking Probe". Does the towing thing well and affords a degree of protection from the muppets and looks OK with a chrome "flipper"
Ivan FF RR S/C (Gone)
TVR Chimaera 500(Gone)
TR7 V8

Post #6240 22nd Jun 2009 6:38pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

I have a detachable that is adjustable height factory joby. It lives on the car permanently. only problem was the play in the sleve the removable part slides in, this made the whole thing clunky when towing. Steeler was next to useles so I welded beads along it and ground it to a perfect fit. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #6245 23rd Jun 2009 10:21am
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Same issue with the detachable, as the only difference is that the bit that goes into the armature has a nut / bolt and split pin as opposed to a right angled pin and split pin.

I'll try and take some pics tomorrow of them both.

Post #6246 23rd Jun 2009 12:54pm
Larry

England 2006 Range Rover SE Td6 Java Black

Decision made and removeable type now fitted. Cheers for the feedback chaps. Was useful. Thumbs Up

The only thing I didn't realise until tow bar fitted was that I'd lose the right hand stowage box, as that is where the removeable tow ball is stowed. No biggy, but I liked having that little box there.

The bit that the towball slots vertically up into has a red plug (with wings Smile ) that is substituted for the tow ball (when not fitted), seems to be a flimsy fit. Has anyone managed to keep theirs in place without losing it?

Oh, and now I've had a good look at the fitment, I do need to do something about the security of the bit that fits into the armature. An R-Pin and an exposed bolt is an invite to steal! Don't want to weld it (blob of weld on bolt head/component interface), but may replace R pin with set screw and nut/washer and weld that nut to the screw as you only need to grind off a small nut to remove the assy.

Post #6273 26th Jun 2009 11:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1