Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Brembo upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DDsRR

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver
Brembo upgrade

It has come around to changing my standard brakes on my RR 05plate 4.4 and looking at upgrades, can any one tell me if I would need to upgrade the master cylinder if I replace the standard calipers with brembo 4 pots? Also could I change the front and leave the back or will this upset the brake bias? Cheers

Post #62751 5th May 2011 2:35pm
JustinP

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

I've no idea about the brake cylinder question, but I can tell you that my SC has Brembos fitted to the front and sliding calipers on the rear. 
Gone - Range Rover Supercharged 2006

Post #62753 5th May 2011 2:52pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

hi, no you dont have to change your master but you will need to change the disc's and back plates, or there was a template floating around so you could cut the ones on your car, you will all so need new sensors and flexi hoses. V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #62792 5th May 2011 9:35pm
porscha

2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I intend to fit the huge 6 pot Brembos to my 2003 4.4 V8. Has anybody done this? Is the master cylinder OK with these brakes? I think they go with 380mm discs. Would love to hear from anyone who has done this.

TIA
Smile

Post #62993 7th May 2011 6:38pm
daveo

the late 6 pot brembo's wont fit, the mounting points on the legs are different V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #62994 7th May 2011 7:47pm
porscha

daveo wrote:
the late 6 pot brembo's wont fit, the mounting points on the legs are different

Is there such a thing as early 6 pots or will none of them fit? If not, what is the best brembo upgrade for my 4.4 V8?
Thanks.

Post #63000 7th May 2011 9:32pm
daveo

the early brembo were 4 pot, there may be an after market set of 6 pot but i bet they are a fortunes. you will have to go for the 4 pot if you want easy fitting unless you want to start modding V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #63003 7th May 2011 10:11pm
DDsRR

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

After reading more on line I have decided to remain with the original set up for the time due to reading about the following:

1) If changing the setup the front and back need to be done at the same time to balance the brake bias.
2) It won’t increase stopping distance only help with heat dissipation under lots of heavy use. Due to ABS looking after you and the limiting factor is tyre grip as I found out today with an abrupt stop and the ABS kicking in leaving a little rubber behind! Although I must say they do look cool Cool
3) You have to inform your insurance about the upgrade and they could be funny (depending who your with), not telling them could invalidate you insurance if you claim.
4) Problems can occur if the set up is not quite right, you can get less braking efficiency if the ABS unit cant handle the bias. ie the front lock up quicker than the rear so over all you have improved the look and reduced safety if not done correctly

The 4 pots are designed to go on the supercharged tdv8 and apparently this has a different ABS system to the V8 4.4 so not so sure if it’s the best idea. I have seen this upgrade and am also interested to hear from any one who has done this.
Do you get more travel from the pedal as due to the larger piston volume if you don’t change the master cylinder?

Post #63181 9th May 2011 5:24pm
porscha

I understood that the L322 had Brembos as an option from new on 4.4 V8 and even on TD6. My question is what calipers did they use front and rear? And what else was changed ie master cylinder etc?

If this is the case, it would effectively be a factory spec upgrade. Where does one stand on insurance then???

Post #63204 9th May 2011 7:14pm
daveo

if you told your insurance that it had the uprated brakes as an option from the factory i cant see them loading your premium and i think most people on here would know that the brembo's are an uprated calliper but some RR owner if asked has it got brembo's on it would think your talking about guns, my point is that mr normal would have no idea if they are standard or not...
my mate has brembo's as standard and he has the same master as me, so that's a no!
i have drove his car quite a few times and with out a doubt his car stop's better but thats not to say that the standard callipers are no good, i think they are great and can look great

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.

Post #63225 9th May 2011 8:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1