Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Snowfoam - am I doing something wrong?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
nick h

2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

RRUK wrote:
Personally IMHO I think it's a gimmick.

You can't beat a proper 3 bucket lambswool mitt wash by hand.

I've tried all sorts of things over the years and nothing beats some elbow grease

thats your opinion which i can respect

however some aspects of your detailing 'regime' i would disagree with

i would never use a 'chammy' - to remove excess water use an absorbent microfibre cloth designed for the purpose (not a polishing cloth) - lay the cloth over the 'wet' area - remove and move to the next wet area - do not drag over the body!

use a sheepskin 'mitt' to the trim line only - then use a microfibre mitt for the lower levels/shuts/wheels etc

do you use a 'grit guard'?

however, if you use the correct products you can have a 'touch free' wash as minimal water residue will be left and this can be removed with a 'leaf blower'

i see you use megs 'three stage' - might i suggest there are better products inc megs from their professional range?

also using a dual action polisher to apply your 'products' is a waste of time if you do not do the job correctly as you must 'mask' other finishes (eg rubber etc) - applying low tack masking tape to a RR takes a lot of time

really a dual action polisher is best left to paint 'correction' - apply wax by hand esp 'best' carnauba wax by using a 'pad' - then polish with a high grade microfibre cloth

only offering an alternative viewpoint?

Last edited by nick h on 16th May 2011 12:21pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #64135 16th May 2011 11:27am
nick h

2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Tonga Green

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
It looks good, and is fun to apply. If only it smelt good then it would be a sensory extravaganza.

It's no good for dirt that is "stuck on" although it will loosen it. It will remove dust and dirt that has settled in the car, but I've found that's about it.

You can stick a little car shampoo in the bottle too if you like and mess with the mix until you have convinced yourself it's working! Thumbs Up

D

what snow foam 'lance' are you using?

as for 'smells' well, you could use a citrus foam?

mind you i'm not one for 'getting off' on smelling car wash products? - but each to their own as they say Rolling with laughter

Post #64145 16th May 2011 12:15pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Nick h,

Alternative opinions always welcome on this forum.

I don't use the grit gaurd as I prefer to use my hands to clear out the mitt each panel/dunk, I can then feel for anything nasty in the pile rather than rely on a piece of plastic in the bucket to do it for me. However, there's rarely anything nasty in the mitt as I'd never go over the car with the mitt until I had rinsed off the majority of the dirt.

I use a combination of a fake chammy, which glides across the paint and an absorbent microfibre towel first, real chammy I only use on glass for a nice smear free finish.

The use of a DAP is up to the individual, I've never had to mask off the trims to avoid them, I have a steady hand and in all the years I've used one and all the cars I've done, not had any problem. If there is a bit of run-off onto a rubber, well, I just clean the rubber Cool . I treat all the trims at the very end anyway as final part of the detailing.

I know that Meguiars sell some other products aimed at the trade, however the ones I buy do the job very well, and I've never had anyone complain at the standard of the finish and have only had people (even at Dealers where they know more of the tricks of the trade and the people that use them) tell me how well looked after my cars have been.

I think I spend long enough detailing cars, additional steps like masking off etc is a step too far for me, I'll stick with what I'm good at Thumbs Up I am afterall, just someone at home doing it for my own benefit, it's not my job and thank god it isn't, I couldn't do that day in day out! Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #64148 16th May 2011 1:51pm
M44K TS

England 

I've been using Magifoam for the last few months after switching from Elite Car Care's own brand stuff which I didn't rate. The Magifoam by itself, (1-2" then topped up with warm water) gives a nice thick foam which can last for up to half an hour, also there's enough to do the RR, my LWB Vivaro, an Astra van and a Golf.

In fact, I haven't hand washed the RR & Vivaro in over 2 months, I find that the snow foam does a good enough job not to warrant it.

I simply rinse it off with the jet wash then when wet, spray on some Megs last touch then pat dry with a drying towel. 2006 Mercedes CLS
1991 Retro-style Mini
But really finding it hard to fight the urge for a S/C...

Post #64187 16th May 2011 6:03pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I think it's great to find out all the different ways we clean and detail our cars.

Everyone wants different results and it can all depend on other family committments and time, so you do what you can do.

Mine get's a fairly tough life so I tend to go overboard on the time I spend detailing and what I do, I'd rather not wash it for a few weeks for example than spray on snowfoam and rinse off, but that's not to say i think it's wrong in any way.

Horses for courses and long may it be so. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #64194 16th May 2011 6:59pm
Vogue Owner

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

I think I will try the suggestion to not wet the car first and see if the foam will sit for longer before rinsing CURRENT : FFRR 2012 4.4 TDV8
GONE : Discovery 4
GONE : BMW M5
GONE : L322 Range Rover
GONE : 2007 MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER
GONE : SAAB 9-3 VECTOR SPORT
GONE : BMW M3
GONE : SIERRA COSWORTH
GONE : LOTUS CORTINA
GONE : MK1 MEXICO
GONE : MK2 RS2000

Post #64198 16th May 2011 7:17pm
nick h