Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Torsional Vibration Damper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRRob

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Cairns Blue
Torsional Vibration Damper

I noticed a grinding noise coming from the side of the TD6 and thought it must be a bearing thats shot in either the power steering pump, water pump or the alternator.
This afternoon I removed the radiator cowling and the viscous fan then I removed the G4 sump guard and noticed alot of what looked like iron filings that had collected on it beneath the engine.
I remove the air con drive belt and the noise is still there so that wasn't the problem.
I removed the ancillary drive belt and the noise vertually disapeared which puzzled me a little Shocked
I put the ancillary belt back on and fired it up and had a good look and could see a cloud of dust coming from the crankshaft direction.
I removed the belt again and felt round the crankshaft area and the groved bit that the ancillary drive belts sits in was loose and rotating freely Shocked Shocked
so...... after a good while trying to find the info on RAVE it turns out it is the Torsional Vibration Damper that has disintergrated.
Whilst I was in the engine bay I removed the radiator and the intercooler for a good clean and boy did they need it both were choked with mud from many happy off roading days, problem is that even if you hose the rad area out after a day playing you never really can get in there to do a proper job with out removing the rad each time.

Back to the damper, I rang landrover for a price and was quoted ££366.51+vat Shocked Shocked Shocked hmmmmmm I think thats a tad expensive. I cheekerly ask for the part no and the kind landrover fella obliges ..........
LHG000100
so further googling produces
https://www.lrdirect.com/search.php?mode=s..._https=yes
The OEM part is well better value and comes with the Britpart 24 month warranty so thats the bit on order.
I looked closer at the bolts that secure the damper and they don't have a normal head ! would anyone happen to know what head the bolts do have or if there is a special tool required ?

If I can't located the information I will pop in to the dealers and see what they say , maybe borrow theres for a small fee Wink

Post #64368 17th May 2011 7:27pm
bob.lydon

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Got a spare one i was going to put on ebay if your interested

bob

Post #64436 17th May 2011 10:26pm
47p2

Scotland 

Without looking I will hazard a guess that the bolts will be spline fittings

Post #64444 17th May 2011 11:06pm
RRRob

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Cairns Blue

bob.lydon, thanks for the offer but in my haste to get the job going I ordered one from a parts distributor.

47p2, after I spent more time looking at the the Rave manual I found out in black and white that the bolts are Male Torx so a quick trip to Halfords will cure that particular problem.

Thanks for the input and replies.

Post #64893 19th May 2011 8:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1