Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Checking engine oil level
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Richcl

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zermatt Silver
Checking engine oil level

I've noticed that when I initally pull dipstick to check oil level the level is below minimum, then when I re-insert and re-check it shows maximum Confused

Anyone else get this problem? I'm worried now, is it dangerously low, or fine? Confused

(TD6 BTW)

Post #68259 12th Jun 2011 2:14pm
47p2

Scotland 

Engine should be at normal running temperature. Switch off for 5 minutes or so, remove the dipstick and wipe clean, re-insert the dipstick and make sure it is 'fully home' then remove and take a reading. It should be on or just a fraction below the maximum mark.

Never below the minimum mark and never above the maximum mark

Post #68260 12th Jun 2011 2:41pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i thought its best to check the engine oil when its cold and settled in the sump..

Post #68265 12th Jun 2011 4:09pm
Richcl

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zermatt Silver

scarey wrote:
i thought its best to check the engine oil when its cold and settled in the sump..

That's how I would usually do it. Confused
When "first parading" a vehicle in the army, never been told to check when it's hot (Unless I've not been listening properly Laughing )

It would mean before I start a journey, starting vehicle, letting it warm up (10 minutes say) then shutting engine down, checking oil level 5 minutes later and possibly finding then that it's to low and may have damaged engine.

Contradicting advice on the internet Confused

Post #68266 12th Jun 2011 4:33pm
ric355

Method is made quite clear in the owners handbook. Check with oil cold and car on a flat surface Thumbs Up

Post #68267 12th Jun 2011 4:35pm
Steves997s

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

The handbook says check when cold. It then goes on to say that if you have to check after the engine has been running then leave the ignition switched off for 5 minutes to allow the oil to collect in the sump.

So in the way of the politician, you're both right Surprised

Post #68268 12th Jun 2011 4:36pm
47p2

Scotland 

When oil is hot it expands and therefore will increase in volume when in the sump. If you have the oil at the top mark when cold it will be over when hot hence the reason you should check when hot.

Yes older method was to check when cold but with modern vehicles fitted with finicky oil sensors the hot method is most accurate to prevent errors.

Gearbox, diff and transfer box should also be checked hot Thumbs Up

Post #68269 12th Jun 2011 5:04pm
Dogman

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Have to check my 911 oil when it's warmed up fully but that's because it runs a dry sump.

Where it says leave the ignition on for 5 minutes after you've warmed it up and stopped the engine is that not asking for trouble if you're not running a secondary battery.... Laughing Whistle

Post #68285 12th Jun 2011 6:15pm
ric355

47p2 wrote:
When oil is hot it expands and therefore will increase in volume when in the sump. If you have the oil at the top mark when cold it will be over when hot hence the reason you should check when hot.

Yes older method was to check when cold but with modern vehicles fitted with finicky oil sensors the hot method is most accurate to prevent errors.

Gearbox, diff and transfer box should also be checked hot Thumbs Up

Yes, you can check it when hot but it has to be properly hot which means a decent run first. If you think the level is too low then getting it hot first seems to have the potential to do engine damage. Leaving it to idle for a few minutes wouldn't get it hot enough, especially in the case of a diesel.

There is a clear section in the owners handbook stating to check when COLD (their emphasis, not mine) and then states what to do depending on where the level is. If you read this you will see it takes into account the expansion of the oil. It does also say you can check when hot but this is quite clearly an 'only if necessary' message.

I have some other cars, all of which are dry sump, and yes they have to be checked hot. But the tanks have a decent reserve (that is the point of it after all) so the level is less sensitive assuming you know there is a reasonable amount in there.

Post #68309 12th Jun 2011 8:12pm
pretlove

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

the level on the dipstick was designed with the fact the oil will expand taken into consideration hence the reason they say to check it when its cold...as if you fill it up to the level when its hot/warm then infact you will not be putting enough oil in the car Thumbs Up as when its cold it will then show a lower reading
and may i also add if you fit a new oil filter you will need to check the oil again after starting the car for a few minutes as it will need a top up Thumbs Up "RANGEISM WILL NOT BE TOLERATED"
www.futuresecurityservices.co.uk
Pretlove says , '' I want my car back Sad "

Post #68327 12th Jun 2011 9:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1