Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > modifing the 2006 filp key to work on the pre 2005
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

ok here we go,
from this...

Click image to enlarge

TO THIS
Click image to enlarge

RR members like myself with the bmw style key hate it, the key in my view it looks cheap, they went from the old P38 flip key that I think was a nice looking key for its time to an exposed blade type, only good for stabbing yourself when sitting down. It has been the subject on quite a few forums with numerous stories of them being changed for the new flip key, most of them turn out to be miss leading, there are some replacement cases out there but they are not that great ether and We all know the probs that have involved in using second hand keys, for a start used keys can be worthless, you can’t re- programme a used key, the later flip type key uses a different type of coding to the early keys and the fact that they are sealed and auto charging is a prob as well, as I said I have been messing around with this for quite a long time trying to find out if they can be reprogrammed or if anyone has done it, as far as I know it has not been done.
The closes we came was the diamond bmw key that can be used,
Click image to enlarge

An aftermarket case could be bought but they are not that great and then there was the debate about what was the transponder, what needed to be removed in order to work, then the battery...how will it charge.
Right here we go... the key to get this working is the bmw diamond key, you need to get a 100% new unused one, it then will not have any info on the transponder fitted on the board, now this means that you will not have to start cutting bits of the board, the transponder and charging coil that are together can be left attached giving you the charging operation needed.
Click image to enlarge

Now you may say that our cars never had this option on it...true but it works. The coil must pick up a charge from the ignition and charges the battery; my battery went from 2.4v up to 2.9v after about 40 minuets

Now the next step is to open you land rover flip key, I started with a craft knife under where the blade sits when closed
Click image to enlarge

After you get the knife through for an inch or so get a flat butter knife and start to prize apart, go slowly as if you prize to hard you make a mess of the edges and when back together it looks a mess.

After you get it apart you will find the main board,
Click image to enlarge

this is no good to us but save it as I ate to throw anything away, strip out all the rubber packing and then you will just have the case.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now the idea is to put the new board out of the diamond key into the flip key shell, it will fit with a bit of trimming, you need to trim here on the top case with the buttons and here on the base, and this will allow the new board to sit flat.
Click image to enlarge

The next problem it the buttons on the board, they are harder to push then the originals so the rubber buttons on the case will not work that well at all.
This was the turning point, my boy was playing with his Lego and I see just the thing that was needed, they are single square blocks but ¼ the thickness, they fitted perfect and then gave the rubber buttons on the case the extra pushing power needed.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now the downside to this mod is that you lose the tailgate release, this does not bother me as I never use it any way but is because the third button does not line up.
Click image to enlarge

After a few dry runs you will work out where the board will sit, you can hear the click of the buttons once you have put the two half’s togeater, if you have prizes it apart neatly you will still have the ridge around the edge for it to clip back together, at this point you can see where you will put the transponder chip from your original key, now as the transponder chip on the board is blank it will not affect your original chip,

I used silicon adhesive to fix the board to the case base, started with a small blob at each end, wait till dry and test the halves together and make sure the buttons have lined up correctly, if all is ok then add more silicon to hold the board in place. When all is dry you can put your transponder chip in the front and clip to shut, a small bit of silicon around the edge will seal the whole thing shut but only after you are 100% happy that all is good.
now since i started i have found someone on ebay that do the cases with the key blank you will need
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150597926458?ssP...052wt_1112
this is the blade that has stopped me from finishing but i have ordered one of the cases to make the mark two.
now i am sure there will be other mods to this to make it even better but for now i am just glad to get rid of that
Censored old bmw key..

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #92284 15th Nov 2011 12:28am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 1 of 1