Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Cleaning leather
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
trafpol

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Autobiography Td6 Buckingham Blue
Cleaning leather

Im okay with cleaning the exterior with clay bar and waxes in normal manner but havent come across anything that will treat the leather well. Any advice? What do other members use?
I don't have the standard single colour leather I have the two tone blue and ivory/parchment.
It doesn't need reconditioning just a good clean Smile
Also the door panels are leather and I find the grain gets dirty is it ok to lightly scrub this without damaging it - I stopped the Mrs from having a go with a scourer!! Evil or Very Mad 2006 MY Autobiography. With 'toys'
Honda ST1300 Pan European

Gone
Jaguar 3.0 SE X Type
Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

TJF by the way for anyone who knows what that means.

Post #108113 19th Feb 2012 9:15pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

1 word - Gliptone! Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #108115 19th Feb 2012 9:18pm
R4NCE

2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

hi mate

I have had similar issues. I have tried Autoglym Leather Cleaner and has done nothing. SO no real point in using the Conditioner. I am also looking for something which cleans the leather. I watched a program called Wheeler Dealer and they got a professional company to do there leather seats.

The young lad using something similar to a scouring pad to clean the leather, then he used a colour dye on the leather and then buffed it up like a pair of shoes. Looked amazing but had nothing on tv about cost.

Post #108116 19th Feb 2012 9:22pm
Stephen.125

2011 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Here be dragons...

Asking about leather invites the G word.

People from both sides get really arsey.

Run, run quite fast.

Post #108117 19th Feb 2012 9:40pm
Lolo

Ireland 2011 Range Rover HSE TDV8 Santorini Black
Cleaning steering wheel, knob and handbrake

When I bought my FF as typical, the steering wheel was all shiny which I hated,so before I upgraded (cause heating element went) I used alcohol hand gel (big risk) lots of it, with soft cloth and it look all matte again and nice, did the job, just put a tiny bit of conditioner afterwards..Wouldn't dare do that on the seats tho Exclamation

Post #108126 19th Feb 2012 10:22pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

If you bob over to my blog there's some info in there and pictures on what I do.

Simply wash with a wet will mitt, warm water only and not soaking, rung out every time.
Then dried using seat heaters and some time,
Then zymol by hand and use wool mitt in warm water to clean it off, do seat base after seat back 1 at a time.
Then dry off with towel that's lint free or synthetic chamois.

Them gliptone by hand until tacky or absorbed. Use heaters again to help dry an reapply if needed.

Also a scrubbing brush for dishes(I have one for this use only!) in the cleaning process before any water stages with a Hoover to pull dirt out of folds and creases Smile

A firm scrubbing brush is good for the steering wheel to get built in grime and oils out and makes it feel much better when gliptoned!! FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #108128 19th Feb 2012 10:28pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I use a scorer pop down asda and get the real cheap dish ones that are 14p a set ad let them soak for an hour in bouling water before use in the doors and console leather parts Smile don't add hot water just let it cool and if you want to be rally careful run them on a clean breadboard to dull the edges of the material a bit Smile though to be fair I've never had a mark on the trim I can't shift with time an care Very Happy FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #108130 19th Feb 2012 10:33pm
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I did my leather as below last weekend. Most of this I gleaned from other leather cleaning threads on here plus a looking on a detailing forum.

Just a quick few photos to illustrate what I did.

I cannot attest to doing a job anywhere near as professionally, or with such stunning results, as Gazelio's Connolly chap. I'm more than happy for anyone to add any further comments on what could be better done.

Here's the bits I bought - not all of them needed.

We have Autoglym APC which is a concentrated cleaning agent that can be diluted to suit upholstery or engine / wheel cleaning etc. There's Gliptone cleaner and conditioner. Clean cloths. A scrubbing brush and some Meguiars leather cleaner and conditioner.

A spray bottle holds the diluted APC.

I stuck with the Gliptone for this job.

Click image to enlarge

First job is to spray a little APC onto the leather in small areas and use the scrubbing brush to work the solution into the leather. It's important to really work the brush into all the nooks and crannies to shift all the dirt. These seats are pleated, so I used my finger to open them and ran the brush inside. Same with drying.

Click image to enlarge

Then use a clean cloth to wipe dry and remove the loosened dirt. This was from a very small area on my drivers seat. Quite surprising how dirty it was!!

Note: it was a fairly mild day, so seat heaters weren't needed to dry the upholstery. But using them would be very handy.

Click image to enlarge

And this from a similar area on the rear seat.

Click image to enlarge

Continue working in small patches methodically. I also did the door armrests and the centre cubby arm rest as they're also leather.

This is the front seats all clean. The leather has lost its sheen and is slightly lighter.

Click image to enlarge

This is the new, once clean cloth after doing both front seats compared to how it looked an hour before. I used another clean cloth to do the rear seats. For really dirty seats, do this operation twice.

Click image to enlarge

Once thoroughly dry, apply conditioner and work it into the leather. Again, work in small patches and methodically.

This is the front seats after conditioning. You can see how rich they look compared to the photo above. Smell good, too.

Click image to enlarge

And that's it. I did the rear seats the same way Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #108160 20th Feb 2012 7:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1