Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Had a bad Range Rover day today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Glideman

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Had a bad Range Rover day today

I went to the supermarket today with my three kids to get some stuff & on the way home the power steering felt a bit funny. Having owned a Range Rover for a few months I didn't think "oh well" I just started to look for somewhere to dump it before it blew up again! Then I got the "pong" & looked down to see "coolant too hot" or something like that and then "pong" "check coolant level" then a nasty twang noise. Dumped it in a bus lane and got out to check the latest disaster under the bonnet just in time to get the contents of the radiator on my shoes.
Steam everywhere & the fan belt looked like it had been eaten by the radiator cowl. As I reached down the water pump fell away from the engine. Ah well I thought & got on the phone to a nice man from the AA who I now know by name. I explained to him I was an ex-mechanic & my water pump had fallen off. He sent out a very nice man in a van who told me my water pump had fallen off & sent for a big truck to take it to the dealers again.
I got it to the dealers & wrote a note to let anyone who got in it not to start the engine as the engine had no water or water pump etc. The "Land Rover technician" who mistook me for the recovery driver said to me they would "just f%$ing drive it in anyway" as the customer wont know. I did of course put him right.
I'm now waiting for them to ring me with my next telephone number bill. Anyone any idea what would be a fair price for this job and if it could have oh joy, scrapped the engine?

I don't like this car anymore Big Cry Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #108689 22nd Feb 2012 10:44pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

hopefully if you stopped in time the HG's wont have been eaten.

I think its about £200-300 for those engines though not sure but being an LR dealer possibly double it as those numbers would be the 2hrs labour alone...

Sorry for the bad news fella, but fingers crossed you stopped her soon enough! FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #108697 22nd Feb 2012 11:15pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

sorry but i cant help chuckling at your write-up MR G....

hope it gets sorted .. Wink ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #108732 23rd Feb 2012 9:22am
rads

2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Tonga Green

Perhaps your suspension clunk was a loose water pump.

Very Happy

Going to change inner and outer track rod ends on mine, will keep you informed.

Best of luck with yours.

David

Post #108742 23rd Feb 2012 9:39am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

What doesn't bankrupt you, makes you love it more.

I keep having to tell myself that. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #108756 23rd Feb 2012 10:18am
The Brains Trust

Australia 2003 Range Rover HSE Td6 Adriatic Blue
Re: Had a bad Range Rover day today

Glideman wrote:
Ah well I thought & got on the phone to a nice man from the AA who I now know by name. I explained to him I was an ex-mechanic & my water pump had fallen off. He sent out a very nice man in a van who told me my water pump had fallen off & sent for a big truck to take it to the dealers again.

I know this feeling - The first time SWMBO broke down in ours (Trannie failure) I rang the RACV to get it towed. "We'll send a mechanic to looka t it for you" was the reply. I politely pointed out that they could save some time & money by sending a tow straight away. "No, we have to get a mechanic to look at it first". Mechanic came out fiddled with the shifter a bit - noted the "TRANS FAILSAFE" warning on the dash and pronounced "Your trannies Censored , I'll get a tilt tray out here..." No Censored Sherlock!!! Mad

The next time (after a torque converter bolt broke) I rang the RACV again. This time when she looked up the car she just said "Oh, a Range Rover - do you want me to send a tow truck out straight away?" I had to laugh... Rolling with laughter

Post #108758 23rd Feb 2012 10:20am
Glideman

Just got a call from the dealers & it's going to cost £620! That's for a new pulley, belt & pump + anti freeze. I said could you not run the engine & the main agent said they would just run the engine to get it on a ramp. I pointed out that this would damage the engine, he replied that it may have blown the head gasket anyway. I stopped the car within a few seconds of the battery light coming on & the coolant came out AFTER I stopped (on my shoes). Can't see how the head gasket could go if the engine was stopped before losing the coolant so just hope they don't blow it running it about with no coolant in it Confused

Suppose they know they have you over a barrel. They also mentioned the pump may have sent pieces of the impeller into the coolant system & it MAY go again within a few days / weeks. When we used to do a water pump we used to flush all the bits out but the main agents don't bother Rolling Eyes They do fill you with confidence which is why I don't mind paying so much Laughing It's still got a knock on the front passenger side after paying out over £1,000 to various garages including the main agents.

I really wanted this car but this is my third time being stranded by the roadside with my children for hours waiting for the AA in the past 6 months. I would class myself as a fully paid up member of the petrol head brigade & more money than sense club but this thing has me beaten. It's not my first Land Rover but it'll be my last. When I took the car to be MOT'd at the garage I used to work at they all said what the f%$k are you doing buying one of them, maybe from experience I should have known better. Most of the work we used to do was Land Rover gearboxes Rolling Eyes

I know some owners will say they have had no trouble from the car but if you ask me mine isn't a Friday afternoon car, Land Rover only make cars on Friday afternoon Rolling with laughter

Not where did I put my Subaru dealers telephone number Whistle Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #108815 23rd Feb 2012 3:46pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

you certainly have had bad luck with yours but a lot of us havnt ..mine has been pretty well trouble free since buying it in july2010 ..

i would be tempted to sell and buy another one ...lightening doesnt strike twice..............or does it.. Mr. Green ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #108816 23rd Feb 2012 3:53pm
Glideman

I think if I mention selling it THEN buying another one I'd become homeless Scarey Laughing

Hope you get you're knock sorted David, after this it makes the knock seem not so bad. Anyway I can't hear it from here Big Cry

I'm running a Merc at the moment, they didn't have a courtesy car at the main agents. It's not knocking and starts stops & goes when I want it to Bow down Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #108817 23rd Feb 2012 4:06pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

We had a P38 Rangie back in the day. It was wifey's car - I had a Jag XK8 at the time. It kept dumping her - usually battery problems. One day, not long after a service, she said "it's making an awful noise". I went out, started the engine to hear the most god awful clatter. No warning lights but a lot of noise. I opened the bonnet and checked the fluids. No oil. Not a drop. I tried pouring some in to find it pooling on the driveway underneath.

Right. "Ok, call the garage tomorrow. Tell them there is a major oil leak and the engine cannot hold oil. It can't be driven. They need to trailer it in to find out what is going on."

Next day I went off to work. She called the garage. Gave them the message. They persuaded her that it is ok to drive it in (c 8 miles and 20 mins). Amazingly it made it. She parked up. The service guy came out to hear the clatter from the engine. He blanched and turned it off as quickly as possible.

Long story short - new engine. It turns out that they had somehow banjaxed the oil pressure sensor at the previous service. It was faulty/damaged and letting oil out whilst not registering a fault on the dash. The garage paid most of it.

Now the wife loathes Rangie with a passion. She has a Landcruiser V8. She is desperate for my Rangie to breakdaown (touch wood, the recent ones have been reliable) and scoffs mercilessly when they do.

Post #108861 23rd Feb 2012 7:18pm
Glideman

Laughing Laughing

How come everyone who has a Range Rover has a story or two about unreliability Thumbs Up Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #108877 23rd Feb 2012 8:47pm
Renegade2

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

is it the car or the dealers?

Well we all have a story so as good old Max Bygraves said......

Mine TD6 2005 broke down on the motorway so AA took it into the dealer. After several days of scratching there heads they came up with a high pressure fuel pump as the problem. When they called me to say all done i collected the car and drove home, on the way i had a few people flash there lights at me and i thought that was nice they either know me or like my car!! On arriving onto my driveway the smoke was coming from everywhere, under the bonnet , out of the bonnet, under the car and back down the drive. I was ready to call the fire brigade. There was diesal everywhere which now explained the flashes i had on the way. Called the dealer which as you can imagine was Censored they sent a mechanic to the house and he found that the diesal return pipe had not been connected properly. He tried to fix and Censored broke it. They then had to arrange to get the car back to dealers. Few days later all fixed no real apology and hardly any fuel to replace all the lost diesal as you can imagine by now i was Censored Censored Censored Censored

Anyways few days later i had to go and collect my dogs from training and there i was, wife , two kids, fast lane of M4 engine just died....... Censored i was cacking it to get over to the hard shoulder. Again called AA trucked in to dealer, left it with them as was to upset to talk to them. On the monday they called , all fixed. On asking for the report it turned out that the fuel sensor wires had been replaced incorrectly and gauage showed half a tank, but was actually empty. I thanked them for there honesty, told them that there was no need to aplogise as they had not ......the told them to shove there dealership Censored Censored

I called Landrover customer services expalined the problem and they where very good rembusring any charges and gave me a voucher giving me £2500 of a new one......... just didnt have the £65k to go with it.

So what was touch wood the only main fault i have had in what.. seven years all the problems was the dealers who mechanics should not even touch lego!!

If any one from a LR dealer in Cardiff is reading this Censored Censored Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Post #108921 24th Feb 2012 12:42am
Glideman

I like the £2500 off a new one Rolling with laughter Big Cry

It's good therapy reading your stories & makes you realize that you are not the only one in Range Rover hell. On the bright side the dealers just rang & told me it should be ready today, oh and that it needs a new battery for £125. Even though it was charged when I took the car in and never had any problems with it over the winter months, I declined the offer.

Should be interesting when the new one comes out though, they can't fix the cars which has been the same for the past decade Rolling with laughter The problem is what to replace it with, had a look through the Autotrader last night & finding something big enough to carry 5 of us plus all our gear in comfort isn't as easy as it would seem. Like the Porsche Cayenne V8 but would need blindfolding before I got out Rolling Eyes Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #108975 24th Feb 2012 11:09am
Glideman

This just gets better & better, the dealer just rang & said the jobs turned into a nightmare. They cant get the viscous fan off & are having to destroy it to remove it. Oh and they snapped the top hose housing removing it and it now needs a new top hose to. The cost just to replace the water pump has turned into a £1,000 job!!! I said I can't understand how a simple water pump could cost £1,000 but they have me by the balls as the car's in bits & I can't move it. I'm completely Censored off with the Censored thing Big Cry Range Rover 4.4 V8 Vogue

Post #109000 24th Feb 2012 12:08pm
Emperor Mong

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 2.0 PHEV Loire Blue

Some dealers can be their own worst enemies. When we had the P38 Range Rover, my wife was dropping the kids off at school. She drove into the car park to find it full so just stopped it blocking all the other cars in. She only needed to get the little dears out of their car seats and would be gone in an instant...

She kissed the kids, pushed them quickly through the gate and rushed back to the car before she inconvenienced anyone. The Rangie was dead. Turned the key and nada. Feck!

She phoned the dealer around the corner. Explained that her Rangie (bought from them) is dead and worse is blocking in the wives of half their potential customers in the area.
"No trouble madam, we will be round immediately".
15 minutes later and she was about to be lynched. She phoned the dealer to ask where the feck they've got to, as it was becoming embarassing.
"Oh, we're not coming. You need to call Land Rover Assistance".
Twunts.
Must have cost them a few sales though, including from me.

Post #109004 24th Feb 2012 12:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>