Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Fiorano

United Kingdom 
Brake Disc Check

Hi all,

this is my first post in this forum!

Last week i bought a 57 plate 4.2 S/C from a main dealer. The deal was done over the phone as the car was far away. When I went to pick it up I noticed that the front discs were very worn and there is a substantial "lip" on their circumference. We agreed that as their service was shut at the time, i would have the discs looked at at a main dealer in London where I live and if they were below tolerance, they would pay to replace them.

Problem is that I rang around a couple of dealers here who are happy to give me a visual opinion but for any measurement they want to charge me 130-150 +VAT or so because they have to remove the wheel! I think this is a bit excessive. Can anyone recommend any authorized service centre in or close to London that I may get this done cheaply and preferably free. Clearly if the discs are found to need changing I would change them with that dealer and most likely they will be the people that will be taking care of my car for future service. I am really disappointed how short sighted the dealers i contacted have been on this.

Any help is much appreciated.

Post #110881 4th Mar 2012 10:40pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

pop into kwik fit for a brake check ..not sure whether they charge or not but if they do it wont be a lot and you'll get a print out with the readings.... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #110883 4th Mar 2012 10:43pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

You could always buy a micrometer for about £10, take the wheels off and measure them yourself.

Post #110884 4th Mar 2012 11:11pm
Fiorano

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies. Both are options that I have thought of but the deal was that I get the breaks checked by an authorised dealer unfortunately.

Post #110885 4th Mar 2012 11:21pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

are dealers not meant to do a health check on any car they service by law,and they must of serviced it before they sold it.. they say its free as if they are doing you a favor but in reality they have to do it..who was the dealer V8 facelift Range Rover Autobiography 22" wheels.
1976 Harley Davidson Iron Head Sportster

Post #110893 4th Mar 2012 11:57pm
Fiorano

United Kingdom 

According to the sales guy the car was seviced. I saw the job sheet and it said brake discs were low. Apparently the pads were changed but not the discs as the were within tolerance. The last bit is what I doubt.

Post #111019 5th Mar 2012 5:10pm
JIMMYM

United Kingdom 

Even if the discs are 'within tolerance' as they put it, what's the point of fitting new pads to badly lipped discs. The new pads should be good for 15 to 20k easily but by the sounds of it the discs won't be. Then got to chuck another set of pads on when fitting new discs. Sounds to me like old pads were on their bones and dealer's just taken cheapest option. All for sake of pair of discs that are prob about £70 tops trade to them for a genuine pair. Sounds like you'll struggle now to get them to cough up because they've had your money. Usual story. Prob cost you about £150 for genuine new pads and discs plus sensor wire about £15 plus labour for fitting. Be looking about £250 I reckon using a local garage. Not my garage of choice but I believe Halfords are doing brakes for life promotion where as long as you own car they'll replace purchased brakes for free. Don't know what their prices are like but if you intend keeping a while might be an option.

Post #111286 6th Mar 2012 8:38pm
Fiorano

United Kingdom 

Thanks Jimmy, my thoughts exactly but I think changing the discs will cost a good 700 quid or so at a main dealer and they will have to pay (unless they cut themselves a deal). Lets see. Still haven't found someone to check the brakes,,,

Post #111360 6th Mar 2012 11:53pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Its not good practice to fit brake pads to a car where the discs wont last for the life of the pads! In a way, the fitting agent is leaving themselves wide open to litigation if the disc failed... I certainly would not have fitted pads to it!

Craig Rolling Eyes

Post #111365 7th Mar 2012 12:13am
tomthevet

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Tonga Green

Just out of interest my old man used to be vehicle evaluation engineer for Rover/Landrover and all he in common with all his fitters, technicians and engineers never really changed discs and look upon it as a waste of time and effort unless overheated/cracked/pitted etc. He is currently at well over 100,000miles on a TD5 on original discs as though worn he always quotes rotational strength being more than enough even when well worn.
Then again he is a Scotsman.
And his car doesnt stop.
Just joking on the last point.
T

Post #111371 7th Mar 2012 12:31am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Thats great until one lets go my friend...

Craig Exclamation

Post #111377 7th Mar 2012 12:53am
tomthevet

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Tonga Green

Hey am only saying his attitude. And to be fair he has a modicum of experience ranging from being part of issigonis team on original mini through design of landcrab suspension right through to death valley testing discos, rrs, freelanders, etc etc. In their high mileage testing at gaydon and elsewhere they never had to change discs it seems unless damaged from other failures.
Anyway I guess we will all continue to do whatever we feel happy doing.
T

Post #111379 7th Mar 2012 1:31am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Until the advent of asbestos free brake pads it was almost unheard of to need to change dics on cars, they almost lasted the life of the vehicle.
As I understand it, due to the use of asbestos free pads brake discs are now made of a softer material than before hence the wear problem.
I do know of a discovery owner who had a brake disc fall to pieces when he applied the brakes, probably due to neglect.

Post #111391 7th Mar 2012 9:10am
TugRR

United Kingdom 

Hi Fiorano -

Once again, a main dealer is taking huge liberties.
Inform the supplying dealer of your concerns in writing and tell them to make the arrangements for the vehicle to be inspected. Do not do their work for them. Doubtless you will have paid good money for a car which you expected to be in top order.
Don't forget, your vehicle weighs around 2.5 tons - if they reported on the discs being borderline, they should have replaced them.
You may also want to look at the Sale of Goods Act.
Be as awkward as you possibly can.
Alot of people who contribute on here have had similar main dealer experiences - I certainly have.

Good luck !

Thumbs Up Where do you go after one of these . . . ?

Post #111440 7th Mar 2012 11:08am
Fiorano

United Kingdom 

Thanks TugRR.
I will book it in for a full health check from a dealer near me this week and see what the report says. Assuming its what I think it will say I will send it through. Also what is interesting is that on a couple of occasions that I used it in the morning from cold, I could hear the belts squealing until it gets warmed up.

Post #112564 12th Mar 2012 1:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>