Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Conversion to RHD
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ahebron

New Zealand 

Lets put a few things right here.
They do not salt the roads here as snow is generally only an issue on the Central Plateau of the North Island and from Christchurch down in the South Island. Last winter was a freaky exception. But they will close roads for several days at a time
LPG is not as cheap as it used to be here in NZ and pumps are not as wide spread as petrol/diesel.
Diesel is approximately a 2/3 the price of petrol at present it is $1.54 per litre for diesel and $2.20 for Petrol (NZ dollars). Prices can vary upto $0.20 per litre around the country. The further away from a major centre the more expensive.

http://www.fuelsaver.govt.nz/fuel.html

There is only one colour/type of diesel and it is not taxed at source which is why we have Road User Charges (RUC) for diesel vehicles which you buy in units of 1000kms. I buy 10,000km at a time

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factshee...icles.html

If you do wish to import a car to New Zealand then read this

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/importing/index.html

GST is payable on landed costs including and is %15

If you wish to buy a car in NZ then have a look here

www.trademe.co.nz

Go to Trademe Motors and look at Range Rovers.
You cannot bid if you are outside NZ or Oz.

There is a NZ Ebay but Trademe is by far the most used internet auction site here

Luxury cars do cost a bit here but we are a small market and a long way from Europe. Recently a new emissions ruling has been bought in that I think matches Euro 5. This has caused a marked drop of imports from Japan which was NZs major supplier of 2nd hand cars for many years. Now talk is of dealers importing cars from the UK
as more compliant RH drive cars exist there.

Motorways only exist in big cities with Auckland having the most. Otherwise roads are generally 2 lane with a white painted line being the main safety between traffic travelling in opposite directions. Quite like UK B roads.

And yes it is an absolutely stunning place. But you will all know that from The Piano, Narnia, LOTR etc Very Happy

Adrian

Post #111899 9th Mar 2012 5:06am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Hi Adrian, thanks for the detailed response. I have been trawling around NZTA and all to find the rules recently and a few years back when I was living in New Plymouth (wanted to bring in my GMC van that was in Oz at the time).

Recently, when we were in NP for a wedding, we decided that after this stint overseas it would be good to go back to NP for a while and so I started to look at FFRRs on Trademe and the prices shocked me (I nearly bought a P38 back in 2006 and that was a very decent price for a very good car) so that is when I started looking at RHD conversion (and LPG conversion as the petrol price shot up quite a bit as well I noticed) of my current S/C.

Looking at the amount of LPG stations in NP/Taranaki (I would keep the car dual fuel anyway, so I can always run on petrol, this is based on years of experience in Holland where you can get LPG in almost every petrol station and you can still run out Smile) it would not be an issue, there are plenty places all over town to get LPG. The website LPGA.co.nz shows some 570 LPG fuel stations around the country so not too bad (my GMC had 300 liter of LPG tanks in it and with 4 km to the liter, that was still around 1100 km range).

I still have to do a full detailed costing, including transport cost, import cost etc. etc. to see if it makes sense. I am expecting to be able to get a UK FFRR (reasonably new) with all the necessary emission ratings etc. but also something that I would need to look into a bit closer to the time of course.

Anyway the question on conversion is answered in my opinion so I will be looking at how to import at least one (still to decide on S/C on LPG or TDV8) or maybe more (my container in Holland has only got space for one car Smile. MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #111908 9th Mar 2012 9:13am
ahebron

New Zealand 

Ah well if you are going to the 'Naki' then LPG is no real problem.
Sorry to have gone on a bit in my post I had no idea you have NZ experience.
Got a soft spot for NP love the waterfront and neighbouring coast.
You must have missed my FFRR on Trademe then it was the cheapest I have seen in NZ apart from the one that had a tide mark at window line. Very Happy But it is an old TD6.

As an aside has anyone put LPG onto a TD6 or TDV8. The Aussies are big on it, its a bit like Nitrous for a petrol engine.

Adrian

Post #111911 9th Mar 2012 9:23am
ebajema

Hi Adrian, how could you know that I didn't have experience Smile

I love the Naki, it is a great place especially if you have been here and in Holland for a while. When I worked there (and met my wife there) we had a great time living there. Things are sooo easy there, nothing seems to be a problem, you can get almost everything you need. NP is a great place, the walkway, Pukekura park, the Bowl of Brooklands, the domains, back beach, the mountain, Whangamomona (Forgotten World Highway) etc. etc. Plus all the events Americarna, WOMAD, the concerts in the Bowl, the Light in the Park etc. etc. Not to forget the great restaurant scene !!

And it is one of the best places in the world to ride motorbikes, we used to ride almost every Sunday during the summer, to Mokau (great Hummingbird cake), round the mountain (Mc Farlanes for cake and coffee, dinner at Malaysian carriage or in NP) and especially the South Island for the longer bike trips.

And only a few hours away from great skiing and boarding during the winter !

Anyway, the FFRR still fits into my plan of life over there either LPG/Petrol or Diesel, will investigate closer to the moving date Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #111936 9th Mar 2012 11:14am
ahebron

New Zealand 

Last friday before the big storm hit we put ther push bike on the back of the TD6 left home at 0530 and drove up to NP to ride the walkway and see Te Rewa Rewa bridge. Started to rain at Midday after our ride so came home round the coast. Back in by 2020 and a great day.
Must get round to taking the R1150GS up there one day.

Adrian

Post #112143 9th Mar 2012 8:17pm
ebajema

Cool, we went to the bridge just before we left to go home to Lagos Smile Lovely ride along the walkway I bet !! The GS is perfect for the Forgotten World highway or just going up to the Whangamomona hotel for lunch. Would love to do the FWH again in the FFRR to Turoa (went snowboarding there a while ago). Last time we drove it in an XR6 and that was quite tail happy Smile

Enjoy NZ mate, it is one of the best places on earth if not the best Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #112158 9th Mar 2012 9:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12