Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Cluster Repairs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sms720

United Kingdom 
Cluster Repairs

Not really sure anyone will have an opinion on this but thought I would post for interest...

When I purchased my 2003 Vogue (a couple of weeks back) the instrument cluster had the fairly common pixelation problem that I researched on the web. It didn't worry me too much but as soon as I got the car I took the cluster out and sent it to a company called Cluster Repairs UK who replaced the LCD parts of the display. When I got the cluster back and installed it all worked perfectly for about 7 days. Now its starting to degrade again, very gradually.

I have yet to ring Cluster Repairs (you get a 3 year warranty with the repair) but am now wondering what could be causing this - maybe the unit as a whole?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Will post back when I ring the company and get their opinion.

Regards

Si

Post #7945 22nd Oct 2009 12:25pm
Stuart528

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Is this Cluster Repairs in Norfolk somewhere? I used them a year or two ago for a failed instrument cluster on a Volvo XC90. NB this was for a completely dead cluster: no lights or needles working at all, not just failed pixels.

The unit came back still broken. I sent it back again, they swore blind they had made the fix, but fixed it again. When it arrived back the second time, still broken.

I can't say for sure whether they actually fixed it or not: I spent a long time on the phone with them and they sounded genuine, but it was a lot of wasted time and effort. I have no reason to doubt their word, and I am not suggesting for a moment that they are fakers or anything, but I am still in the dark as to what did or did not happen. In the end they refunded me, after an admin fee which was reasonable. I have now sold that car after many problems, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was just Volvo poor quality at fault. I ended up spending 900 quid at the dealer to buy a new one.

So i guess what I am saying is that they seem to be a good outfit, but definitely ask them to fix it again, and be sure what the small print says.

Post #8431 15th Nov 2009 10:17am
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

HI sms720,
I have since found out that all that bull **** they give you about stripping down the clocks,removing the needles is crap, the fault that happens 99% of the time is the ribbon cable, its made of plastic that sticks to the contacts and the heat over time drys it out and you get bad contacts, its only 20 pounds for the ribbon and you dont even have to take the front of the clocks of...
daveo

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php?t=173483

Post #8432 15th Nov 2009 6:35pm
sms720

United Kingdom 

I would completely agree with your assessment of the issue, as the display seems to be affect by heat, the longer the drive the more pixels that disappear.

I you start the car from cold the display is perfect.

Post #8498 18th Nov 2009 12:07pm
sms720

United Kingdom 

Just to be clear here, you still have to remove the dash cover and take the cluster apart for the ribbon repair?

Post #8500 18th Nov 2009 12:14pm
daveo

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Java Black

hi, yes you have to take the cluster apart but not as thay say, removing dials and needles ect....just the back part.daveo

Post #8503 18th Nov 2009 4:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1