Home > General > Land Rover Gets tough on engine chipping and remaps: read on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black
Land Rover Gets tough on engine chipping and remaps: read on

Here's a link to a thread on the RRSport forum, its worth reading as it could mean voiding your warranty and insurance. It's a personal decision.

Letter originates in the Dominican Republic but I feal that LR take a very dim view on chipping overall.

My view is that such remaps do not extend the engine past it's thresholds, but utilise more of the available power that was locked away. The UK is not an 'extreme environment' for these cars and I don't personally think that remapping does that much harm. If I were running the vehicle in Siberia, Sahara etc, I'd think twice.

This is a totally PERSONAL view and not the view of the forum or the forum's owner.

Link to original thread here:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic10454.html

Copy of letter here:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?&pos=-7722

text of the letter here:

To: All National Sales Companies and Importers
For the Attention of: The Managing Director
Copies to: The Service/After-Sales Director/Manager
The Parts Director/Manager
Dear Colleagues,
Installation of Unauthorized Power Upgrades (Add-on or ECM 'Chipping')
This Policy Letter replaces Policy Letter NSC/LR/0137, issued in May 2003
A number of major power-train units received through the normal Warranty Returns process have been damaged by the installation of unauthorized power upgrades to Engine Management systems. Changes to the vehicle's power characteristics have far-reaching consequences on many systems including the entire driveline, braking system, emission control devices and in particular the Diesel Particulate Filter circuit (DPF). The DPF undergoes regular regeneration cycles to clean lodged particulates by means of increasing the temperature within, and this operation is not completed satisfactorily with non-production engine management software.
The installation of unauthorized upgrade packages appears to be particularly prevalent on Diesel variants of Freelander, Freelander 2, Discovery 2, Discovery 3 and Range Rover Sport, where investigation of catastrophic failures has shown significant numbers to be attributed to unauthorized power upgrades. The Warranty Returns Centers will monitor the following failures:
• TD5 Engine – Discovery
• TD4 Engine – Freelander 1
• TDV6 Engine - Discovery 3
• TDV6 & V8 Engine - Discovery 3 and Range Rover Sport
• Intermediate Reduction Drive (IRD) – Freelander 1
• Automatic transmission – Freelander 1 & 2
• Automatic transmission – Discovery 3 and Range Rover Sport
• Damage to the Diesel Particulate Filter
Power upgrades are typically achieved either through the download of unauthorized and potentially illegal calibration files into the Engine Control Modules, or through add-on hardware. Other power upgrades may also be available, and in all cases, warranty responsibility on any affected component does not lie with Land Rover.
The resulting power increase is achieved at the expense of:
• Engine and transmission longevity
• Increased fuel consumption
• Increased pollutant emissions
We would also draw your attention to the following statement from the Owner's Handbook:
'The fitting of non-approved parts and accessories, or the carrying out of non-approved alterations or conversions, may be dangerous and could affect the safety of the vehicle and occupants, and also invalidate the terms and conditions of the vehicle warranty.'
Please take actions to ensure that Authorized Repairers are not in any way involved in the promotion, marketing, or installation of such unauthorized power upgrades. Remind your Repairer bodies that evidence of upgrade is almost impossible to conceal, even when original equipment is refitted following unit failure. Any major unit failures suspected to be resulting from unauthorized power upgrades will be thoroughly investigated and warranty payments will be withheld or withdrawn as appropriate.
Yours faithfully

K Phelps Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #625 21st Jun 2008 11:23am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

food for thought, I belive that some stealers offers engine up grades them self will that mean they are now resposible for engine warenties? 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Last edited by axle on 23rd Jun 2008 4:53pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #627 22nd Jun 2008 11:01am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Another thought is why is the ffrr TD6 not included? 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #628 22nd Jun 2008 12:58pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

1. Yes, I have heard this also so I can't answer that. I also know of a Stealer that does LPG conversions, despite the fact it voids the warranty.

2. The RR TD6 is not included cos it's such a wheezy engine it needs all the help it can get! (plus it might be because they no longer produce this variant and don't see it as much of a problem, RR TD6 buyers are less likely on the whole to be into 'chipping' their cars, whereas the TDV6 buyers in Sports and Discos will be) Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #629 23rd Jun 2008 9:59am
Aeroresh

2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Nara Bronze

I think the TD6 engine ecu is alot more primitive than the later generation cars making it more difficult to tell whether it has been tampered with or not.

This is backed up by Mike Cooper of DMS who told me when I questioned whether the dealer would tell when I uploaded either the standard map or the modified one from the DMS softloader black box. Apparently there is no counting device in the ecu so it cant tell if the standard map has been upgraded or not. Wink '14.5 SDV8 Nara Bronze for sale
'17 BMW 740e Msport Individual on order
'17 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4 Hemi on order
'16 Bentley Continental GT V8S Mulliner Driving Spec
'07 Alfa 159 3.2 Q4
'05 Mini Cooper R50
'95 Volvo 850R modified to 400hp
'89 Jaguar TWR ed XJ-S V12 Convertible

Post #638 27th Jun 2008 7:28pm
BigJ

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

From someone in the tuning industry and seeing some remaps the problem is some people to make a quick buck will simply highlight the higher end of the map and increase the entire part by a percentage. Works upto a point, customer is happy with the gain as it goes quicker, but it's not true tuning.

Some 'remappers' purely use the rail pressure map and the limiters which is a basic tuning box!! It wears excessively and there is nothing protecting then engine or how it runs.

To enable the TD5/6, Ford Vistreon engine (New Defenders), TDV6 and TDV8 engines alot of maps need to be altered to ensure the engines run correctly and smoothly, with an increase in MPG as well as a smooth and strong torque curve.

To date for info, I have done 42 TDV8's, 76 TD5's (Older and newer), 43 TDV6 BMW engines, 35 2.7 TDV6's and 23 4.2 Supercharged models. None have problems (With the exceptions of the typical problems with these engines) Used to have:
2005 FFRR 4.4 Vogue - BRC LPG Conversion & Remapped

Now have:
2008 SSRR 3.6 TDV8 - HSE and plenty of toys

Post #55671 19th Mar 2011 9:53pm
tboner001

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Fuji White

On later 2009-10 onwards CPU's the dealer software can see the upload and download count on TDv8 3.8 and 4.4TDV8 do not know about TDV6 though.

But Land Rover receive a blown engine back and take the ecu back as well do not think so, Have used DMS for years on loads of different cars never ever had an issue with any proper tailored map most of which are just releasing the Torque limiters etc not just banging up turbo pressures and fueling rail pressures like some of the nasty tune / chip junk maps. But it is food for thought now Sad . As for increased fuel consumption have always found the opposite on Diesel cars , only Petrol Turbo cars seem to use more fuel.

I wonder if they are blaming failures of the TDV6 3.0 engines at under 200 miles on tuning LOL Censored Evil or Very Mad Far to many gone...

Post #55684 20th Mar 2011 1:49am
BigJ

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

tboner001 wrote:
On later 2009-10 onwards CPU's the dealer software can see the upload and download count on TDv8 3.8 and 4.4TDV8 do not know about TDV6 though.

But Land Rover receive a blown engine back and take the ecu back as well do not think so, Have used DMS for years on loads of different cars never ever had an issue with any proper tailored map most of which are just releasing the Torque limiters etc not just banging up turbo pressures and fueling rail pressures like some of the nasty tune / chip junk maps. But it is food for thought now Sad . As for increased fuel consumption have always found the opposite on Diesel cars , only Petrol Turbo cars seem to use more fuel.

I wonder if they are blaming failures of the TDV6 3.0 engines at under 200 miles on tuning LOL Censored Evil or Very Mad

Agree completely. See too many examples of where more boost, little bit more fuel and twack up the torque limiter....

ECU Counters are nothing new, VAG introduced them years ago. As always, a counter can always be reset or matched to what it was before......!!

New TDV8's are ECU out job everytime at the moment. Personally not worth it if you ask me at present, no matter how careful you are at removing the ECU and prising it apart, you can still tell. What annoys me is tuners arn't truthful about this and tell customers they can do it. But do not explain it could invalidate the warranty very easily, as any technician can inspect an ECU case. Used to have:
2005 FFRR 4.4 Vogue - BRC LPG Conversion & Remapped

Now have:
2008 SSRR 3.6 TDV8 - HSE and plenty of toys

Post #57115 28th Mar 2011 1:22pm
tboner001

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Fuji White

Think on the current ECu's problem was the bolts that are used on the Ecu's but i know the people i have used in the past have managed to obtain the same bolts from the factory where the ecu's are made ! Far to many gone...

Post #57147 28th Mar 2011 2:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1