Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > GSM Controller for FBH - Installation Completed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
awclymm

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black
GSM Controller for FBH - Installation Completed

Hi

I first saw the details for this set up via a post from Wiggs over on the Discovery forum:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic67628.h...te+dialler

Seemed a great idea, so I've just completed the install in my 2008 MY Vogue SE.

I purchased the Quantek GSM 500 GSM controller direct from Quantek, and picked up a spare T91 remote off ebay for £30.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take any pictures of the soldering job on the T91 unit. Best to refer to Wiggs's post referenced above for details of this.

I decided to install it in the rear fuse box compartment - here's what it looked like before I started:

Click image to enlarge

I decided to use this useful little gadget to provide a power feed - first read about it in nicedayforit's thread in this forum here:

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic12245.html

Click image to enlarge

I used fuse position 4 to piggy back off - this is the fuse for the rear 12V power supply, and isn't ignition switched. Obviously with this system you need a permanent power supply!

Started off by attaching a small piece of slotted DIN rail in the top left hand corner of the recess (after checking that there was sufficient room for the cover panel to still go back in place afterwards!!). The Quantek unit is designed to attach to this rail. There was a convenient sized hole already drilled, so it was a simple case of a washer and self tapping screw and the job is done.

Click image to enlarge

I decided that I wanted the ability to power down the unit if necessary, so I fitted a simple inline on / off switch:

Click image to enlarge

Here's a picture of the Quantek unit. It actually comes with a really clumsy aerial on a long cable with a magnetic base attachment. I decided I didn't like this, so I bought this really neat right angled stubby GSM aerial from these guys:

http://www.plusoneproducts.co.uk/onlinesto...ucts_id=38

Click image to enlarge

I then mounted the T91 remote using velcro, so it's easy to access the battery compartment when I need to change it:

Click image to enlarge

After that it was a fairly straightforward job of connecting everything up and tidying up the cabling:

Click image to enlarge

Works like a charm.

As a final touch, I set up a speed dial on my Iphone to dial the unit using a simple little app called 1tapdial:

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by awclymm on 20th Jul 2012 8:25am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #131062 14th Jul 2012 2:17pm
simon1233

United Kingdom 

Very nice, good write up as well!

I am tempted to try this on my car as I like the idea (that during the colder months) of being able to call the heater as I get off the plane/ before I leave a meeting etc and the car will be nice and warm by the time I get to it.

The T91 remote has a good range, but not that good Thumbs Up

Post #131094 14th Jul 2012 8:10pm
tomthevet

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Tonga Green

Does the dial up warm up work on Jacqui too??

Or do the 91 missed emails count against you???

I'll get my coat...

Post #131098 14th Jul 2012 8:27pm
gabbo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

I'm confused....not for the first time. How does the auxiliary heating work normally? 07MY SC VSE (on its way)

The list of previous cars is long & some are boring there has been two RRC's and a very pimped hilux

Post #131104 14th Jul 2012 9:03pm
awclymm

gabbo wrote:
I'm confused....not for the first time. How does the auxiliary heating work normally?

There are tons of threads on here about the FBH - just use the search facility and do the reading. Essentially, the FBH works either via a timer or by remote control. The remote control has a finite range, so the ability to activate the FBH by telephone from anywhere has a big benefit.

Post #131129 14th Jul 2012 11:02pm
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

What a great upgrade, nice write up. Thanks! Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #131149 15th Jul 2012 9:12am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Very nice job!

But you don't need the remote in back: the receiver for the remote has 3 wires going to it (& antenna): r/something +, bn/something gnd, and a gn/wt signal to FBH. The FBH gets a 12V signal, so all you have to do is have your GSM controller bridge the r/? and gn/wt. Easy peasy. Very Happy 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #131200 15th Jul 2012 2:06pm
awclymm

SteveMFr wrote:
Very nice job!

But you don't need the remote in back: the receiver for the remote has 3 wires going to it (& antenna): r/something +, bn/something gnd, and a gn/wt signal to FBH. The FBH gets a 12V signal, so all you have to do is have your GSM controller bridge the r/? and gn/wt. Easy peasy. Very Happy

Thanks Steve - wish I'd known that beforehand!! The trickiest bit of the whole job was the soldering up of the T91 remote. i should have realised that there was a way of bridging the signal between the Webasto receiver and the FBH.

Your input will certainly make life a lot easier for others going down this route. When I've got a few minutes I will re-wire my set up as you have suggested, and then I don't have to worry about the battery in the remote letting me down.

Cheers, Andy

Post #131221 15th Jul 2012 5:02pm
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Welll it's not something that you can know easily - most things in our cars happen because data is sent over a bus. An old fashioned + or - signal... Smile

You do have one advantage now. The FBH runs for 1/2 hr and shuts back off automatically. You'd have to add a timing circuit to achieve that. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s

Post #131233 15th Jul 2012 5:50pm
awclymm

SteveMFr wrote:

You do have one advantage now. The FBH runs for 1/2 hr and shuts back off automatically. You'd have to add a timing circuit to achieve that.

In which scenario? If I keep the set up I currently have with the T91 firing the Webasto, I will still get the 30 mins timing. Are you saying that I wouldn't get the 30 mins timing if I hard wired the Quantek to the Webasto as you suggested?

Thx, Andy

Post #131304 16th Jul 2012 7:33am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the FBH will run as long as it gets a 12v signal on the gn/wt wire. There is a cut-of after 1/2 hr and a low voltage cut-off. I believe the 1/2 hr is controlled by the remote receiver and the low-voltage is in the FBH ECU, but I have never verified this.

With your current set-up, you essentially have retained all stock functionality, so you won't have to worry about this. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s

Post #131326 16th Jul 2012 10:08am
awclymm

SteveMFr wrote:
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the FBH will run as long as it gets a 12v signal on the gn/wt wire. There is a cut-of after 1/2 hr and a low voltage cut-off. I believe the 1/2 hr is controlled by the remote receiver and the low-voltage is in the FBH ECU, but I have never verified this.

With your current set-up, you essentially have retained all stock functionality, so you won't have to worry about this.

Think I'll leave things as they are then.....!!

Post #131332 16th Jul 2012 10:44am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Is it possible to do the following to make mainting the setup that much easier?

1. T into the current GSM attena cabling in that area?

2. Power the T91 from the power sockets as well as the power drain when not in use must be milliamps, and will only spike when its activated and thus means less battery replacements as well??

PS i do love that install and if there is a way to get away from using the T91 it would bring the cost of it down by 50% nearly Very Happy FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #131333 16th Jul 2012 10:44am
awclymm

1. - No idea if this is possible or not. But why would you bother? The quantek comes with a perfectly usable aerial, or if you want something a bit neater you can spend £6 or so and get the stubby aerial.

2. - The T91 runs off a 6V battery, so can't see how you could do that. I don't understand what you mean by "power drain when not in use" - it's no different to the "power drain" that the T91 remote on my key ring has. To avoid any confusion, the connections to the T91 in my set up above are simply a bridge across the terminals of the "on" button in the remote. The relay in the Quantek unit momentarily completes the circuit, thus sending a signal. It's no different than if you pressed the button with your thumb.

A T91 remote is £30. A Quantek 500 is £100, so not sure how you reach your 50% saving calculation!!

Post #131361 16th Jul 2012 1:38pm
awclymm

I have a spare Quantek 500 unit that I bought for a mate to do the same modification, but he has decided to swap his RR for a BMW (don't ask...!) - I've put the Quantek unit up for sale in the for sale / wanted thread.

Post #137336 23rd Aug 2012 9:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>