Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > "Budget tyres and exhasuts" - rip off
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Aurrian

2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Java Black
"Budget tyres and exhasuts" - rip off

Short version of a long story, what do you think i should do?

Whilst replacing steering angle sensor - i noticed tyre scrubbed on inside, so before i fitted my new wheels and tyres I took it to the local tyre place (Budget in Paisley) to get the tracking checked. When i went to collect the car thought it was odd as they still had it on the ramp - thought they were going to try to tell me something else needed done - but no. I asked them if it was out - they guy said "yes - way out" and relieved me of £31.95.

I put on my nice new wheels but occasionally getting error messages, and checking codes with the guys at Gap diagnostics - they said most likely steering angle sensor or alignment!!

Just back from my usual mechanic - turns out the front ball joints were worn - now replaced. Tracking is out a bit - not too much but needs adjusted, but - wait for it...... The tracking is completely seized! He even tried a little heat but not budging and does not think it's a good idea to overheat a steering component and risk metal fatigue. (which seems reasonable to me)

So the b Censored s at budget obviously did sweet FA. Evil or Very Mad

Going to replace tie rods and track rod ends.

So - Thinking i'll go in and ask the manager in budget to show me just exactly how he adjusted the tracking when it's completely fused - tosser!

Or is it even worth the hassle? I knew they were a shower of incompetent crooks already and blame myself for using them in the first place?

Post #136058 15th Aug 2012 5:54pm
47p2

Scotland 

I would go back and ask them how they managed to adjust it.

You should be doing a 4 wheel alignment

Post #136062 15th Aug 2012 6:10pm
GraemeC

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

47p2 wrote:
I would go back and ask them how they managed to adjust it.

Perhaps accompanied by a local Trading Standards rep....? Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Post #136067 15th Aug 2012 6:30pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

If you dont bother, whats going to stop them doing it to others? Maybe alot worse off than you!

Craig Whistle

Post #136076 15th Aug 2012 6:55pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

^^ Exactly !! I would see it as doing a favour to their next victim.

Post #136077 15th Aug 2012 6:57pm
Aurrian

Yeah. Think i'll go in tomorrow. Can't wait to see their faces. Twisted Evil

Can't decide whether they didn't do it 'cause it was seized - or didn't even bother looking at it. Not sure they would claim to have adjusted it if they knew it was seized - if they did they've got some brass neck...

They're going to regret it though - they're just across they road from my work and a few of my colleagues go there as it's handy - not anymore though... Very Happy

God idea about trading standards! They're just 'round the corner too - I've been to them before when someone ripped me off with fake goods on ebay and they were very helpful.

Post #136080 15th Aug 2012 7:02pm
Andy_J

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Did you pay for it by credit card. If so a quick call to your creidt card company for a charge back will relieve them of the £31 you paid. Perhaps a conversation with the manager on the exact meaning of the term Fraud would prove interesting Very Happy 56 TDV8 Vogue SE
9 Freelanders, 2x 2002 TD4ES, 2001 TD4, 2002 1.8GS, 2000 XEDI, 2x 2000 1.8ES, 2004 1.8 & 2000 1.8 GS (rolled)
91 Lotus Carlton (sold)
90 Lotus Elan (BRG)

Post #136092 15th Aug 2012 7:28pm
Aurrian

Hi

Good idea. I'll get money from amex if budget dont give me it back.

Post #136110 15th Aug 2012 8:45pm
Aurrian

Well spoke to manager - his story is that they might have missed the worn ball joints but that they might have failed in the few weeks afterwards!

Still claims that they did the tracking and that they probably used some heat to free it - but it could have seized right up again afterwards. I asked why they hadn't lubricated it if it was seized and he said "you don't use lubricants on steering components"

Obviously a load of BS. Tried to imply my mechanic (who i have known for 10 years) was wrong.

Can't say i expected any better. I daresay he wasn't going to admit to fraud. Don't think i can be arsed taking it any further as it will just get me more angry.

Lesson learned though!!

Post #136520 17th Aug 2012 1:49pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

That's every garages out when it comes to things like this - "It was ok when it left here" and "It must have happened after you left".
No amount of time and energy will make the slightest difference. Best thing is to put it down to (bitter) experience and find someone you csn trust not to shaft you at every opportunity! Whistle Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #136521 17th Aug 2012 1:59pm
AJS4X4

Bit unfair to tar all with the same brush.............. Neutral

Very short sighted of the manager in this case I think, your customers are very important and it's very easy to loose them.

Have been in the motor/tyre trade for 38 years and always do my best to keep everyone happy. Thumbs Up

Post #136545 17th Aug 2012 4:02pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Yeah, but you're in a minority though, sad though it is. I think a fairer statement would be something like "Most national chain garages get out clause"

By and large, the best places are those where the proprietor has a large part in the work going on. Smaller places, one man bands etc. the kind of place where they don't have hundreds of other branches to support them if they lose custom for any reason.

I do use Stratstones who are a national chain, and I'm well aware that they have a lot of branches which more resemble a national disgrace, but I happen to know the DP at my local branch as a personal friend which tends to help if (when) the staff get it all wrong.

Post #136559 17th Aug 2012 5:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1