Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > BMW x3 are they any good
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Mutley

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black
BMW x3 are they any good

I am still looking at another vehicle for the wife budget is now £11k & she quite likes the look of the x3
We can buy the petrol so you get more for your money leather satnav etc

Has anybody got any feedback of knowledge on these cars she has now decided she wants a smaller 4x4 as an additional vehicle

Any ideas? Mutt
FFRR Black TDV8 Vogue MY08

Post #138847 31st Aug 2012 8:38pm
Joe90

England 

From looks alone, not my cup of tea at all, but based on the speed at which most X3's go by me on the motorway, I guess they go like the clappers or all 2nd hand ones are hammered! .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #138861 31st Aug 2012 11:13pm
Mutley

Joe thanks for that I have revised the budget so I think she should get a good one fingers crossed, its going to spend a bit of time on the drive as my wife commutes to London so we dont really want to spend a large amount as it will depreciate really quickly & it makes it worse if she only uses it going to the local shops etc, so we can get a nice BM she likes the x3 although I have never driven one

just seen this on the bay of fleas looks nice I thought I might make a cheeky 10k offer as I do not know what its worth http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-BMW-X3-3-0S...520wt_1329

If anyone knows a website that will give me a value please can they post it, I suspect dealer PX for this guy is low as it has 55k miles only downside is its 400 miles north Big Cry Mutt

Post #138878 1st Sep 2012 9:02am
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Looks nice in that colour, and with the colour coding.

As you can see by my previous cars, I'm a bit of a BM fan, don't dislike the X3, but it doesn't have the great off road ability. If used mainly on road, I've a sneaky suspicion it'll be more of a drivers car than a Freelander 2 for example.

All things being equal, I should be driving an X5, but I prefer to sit in an L322.

Click image to enlarge
 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #138886 1st Sep 2012 11:06am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

My son has an X3, swears by it.
Not my cup of tea but certainly a very nice vehicle.

Post #138888 1st Sep 2012 11:21am
Mutley

Thanks guys that price guide is interesting as it says he should get £13500 for it in a PX, so the market is bad as I have seen not a lot is shifting well certainly not quickly, so he must have been offered a really bad trade in.

I will show the Mrs and see what she says but I may put an offer on it, the car will be mainly used by my wife so it will only be used in snow if the RR was suddenly out of action so I think she will like this car or one similar

As said the only downside is its a long way from Reading Whistle Laughing Mutt

Post #138894 1st Sep 2012 12:16pm
bazadamson

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Oslo Blue

Thought I'd give you my view.........
My wife had an X3 for two years and to be fair, wasn't a bad car but it wasn't really my cup of tea!
It was reliable enough and was reasonable on economy (it was a 2.0 TD) and decent enough at motorway speeds. It had to have a new clutch and Dual mass flywheel just before we sold it (Warranty Direct paid for the failed flywheel but I stumped up for a clutch kit-made sense as it was stripped down already!) but the only other costs incurred were routine servicing.
The transmission on the X3 is VERY sensitive to differring tyre pressures and tyres which are not matched - ALL 4 tyres really need to be the same make and tread depths or the transmission makes a horrible 'clunking' at low speeds.
However, the most annoying thing about it was the ride quality.........TRULY AWFUL and bone jarring!! I only drove it occaisionally and was always glad to get back into my MK2 Golf GTI!!
The X3 was replaced earlier this year with a TD6 FF and this is a different world!
I would encourage you to test drive one before you buy to see if it's acceptable for you, but if it's your wife's car..............she might not notice, but you certainly will!!
Only my opinion.........

Post #139059 2nd Sep 2012 4:37pm
Mutley

Thanks Baz much appreciated, its not for me but my wife likes them we were considering a Quaschi Kuga or RAV4 but then came across the BM, I can buy the 30 ltr petrol or 30 Ltr SD which is really well kitted out, i like the one in scotland but its a bit far.

You are right though I need to drive one or more important she does Laughing Mutt

Post #139065 2nd Sep 2012 5:18pm
bazadamson

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Oslo Blue

If she's a badge snob (like my wife!!) then she'll love the Beemer.......but common sense SHOULD prevail and a RAV 4 would be the better option! IMHO!! Horses for courses though and logic/common sense won't cut any ice when women and cars come together!! (Hope my wife doesn't read this......or yours!!) Shocked
Good luck with the search!

Post #139106 2nd Sep 2012 8:38pm
nightster1

Ireland 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Epsom Green
Re: BMW x3 are they any good

Mutley wrote:
I am still looking at another vehicle for the wife budget is now £11k & she quite likes the look of the x3
We can buy the petrol so you get more for your money leather satnav etc

Has anybody got any feedback of knowledge on these cars she has now decided she wants a smaller 4x4 as an additional vehicle

Any ideas?

&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Du2LLMxlkT-Y&gl=IE

Have a look Current:- TD6 HSE
Past:- Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD x2
Jeep Cherokee Limited TD x1

Post #139469 4th Sep 2012 9:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1