Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Thinking of leaving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey
Thinking of leaving

Well, much as I hate to admit it, being a proper Landy nut for 2 decades now, this was all prompted by my utter hatred of the fuel of Satan now having risen to levels above pathological.

It all started when having to fill up on the way to a client meeting and getting Satan's Urine all over my nice leather brogues, my hands, and indeed, a fairly nice suit jacket, mainly because most people (especially women) seem utterly incapable of filling a car without spilling this greasy nastiness everywhere.

So, the decision was made then and there, never again will I drive a log burner. Thus it has to be petrol. No worries I thought, assuming it'd be a FFRR S/C of some description, until that is, I clapped eyes on a Porsche Cayenne Turbo. So what harm can a test drive do then ?? A lot it seems. It drives really well, has plenty of toys, goes like stink and is about half the cost of the same FFRR.

Fuel economy I'm past caring about TBH. Nothing in this bracket is exactly frugal. If I wanted frugality the I'd have bought one of those hateful 70mpg euroboxes, and besides, life's too short to worry about the cost of fuel.

So I really am at the "S0d It" stage. LR wont build me a Disco4 with the petrol engine (as found all over the world) because it's not approved for the UK market. The FFRR S/C seems overpriced for such a thirsty car which nobody allegedly wants (especially dealers if you're trying to sell one) and the Cayenne ticks all the right boxes.

Come on you lovely bunch of chaps. Convince me otherwise.

Dom.

Post #139150 3rd Sep 2012 8:36am
JOKER

Scotland 

I would say go for it Dom …. After only having my own FF (tractor) for 9 months i am as Censored off as you with every friggin petrol station i go to the Diesel pump handles all have diesel everywhere … Have never had to buy so many packs of baby wipes or hand cleansers since getting the friggin thing …

And the Porsche Cayenne (model dependant) is an awesome car in its own right plus it still has that on road presence of a FF …

So i aint one to convince you i would say F Censored K it go with the flow , and if you do come back and give us a run down on it … Thumbs Up

Post #139158 3rd Sep 2012 9:29am
BrianC

Scotland 

I would say go for it Thumbs Up

Post #139160 3rd Sep 2012 9:37am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

wouldnt be the same here with out the 'dom' father.... Wink

as for dirty diesel pump handles, i have a bunch of plastic glove things nicked from my local asda petrol station, does the job.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO ʎź“•āˆ€ź“•Oź“¤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #139164 3rd Sep 2012 9:44am
Paulo

Scotland 

I'm still enjoying my Cayenne after almost 2 years of ownership but will still own a FFRR one day... Laughing
If you need any pointers on buying a Cayenne let me know...

The two major problems on Cayenne's are:

1. Plastic cooling pipes cracking, replacements are aluminium and cost around £950 including labour.

3. Cardan Shaft going, original normally lasts 60K miles, replacement new design costs around £850 including labour.

Other than these two design faults, a very reliable vehicle if properly maintained. A guy on the Porsche Club forum recently bought a Turbo with 241K miles and says it is an awesome drive. Many American owners have in excess of 300K on their Cayennes....

Good luck...

Post #139169 3rd Sep 2012 10:00am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless Iā€™m not at home, in which case Iā€™m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I just keep a supply of the blue gloves that some filling stations provide...............

No smelly hands! Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #139170 3rd Sep 2012 10:04am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Been thinking the same thing recently.with the amount of cash I'm throwing at the old ffrr, I cold easily run a turbo cayenne, if only I cold convince swmbo!

Post #139172 3rd Sep 2012 10:09am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

I think the members here tend to have more respect of the Cayenne than any other rival top end 4x4 and there is certainly no doubting Porsche engineering and build quality .
Plus the grate thing about owning one is you sit in side and look out and avoid the whole fugly thing Thumbs Up 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #139173 3rd Sep 2012 10:10am
Paulo

Scotland 

Not all Cayenne's are ugly.... Wink

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #139176 3rd Sep 2012 10:27am
kay323

I am thinking of doing a test drive on a diesel cayanne. They are meant to quite refined and petrol like.

My mate has a cayanne turbo S, it drives like a car. But he is alwasy moaning about the fuel costs!

Post #139180 3rd Sep 2012 11:02am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

No sorry, still ugly Wink 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #139186 3rd Sep 2012 11:47am
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

The odd thing is that I'd never fancied a Cayenne since joining in the fun on this forum, but now I do.

What to do? Damned if I know!

There's always the doubt that a Cayenne wouldn't match up to the 'completeness' of a petrol FFRR, but there's only one way to find out, I suppose.

And I'd rather a Cayenne over a RRS, in truth.

Buy the Porker and then a cheap 90 / 110 as a toy? Laughing Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #139187 3rd Sep 2012 11:57am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

kay323 wrote:
I am thinking of doing a test drive on a diesel cayanne. They are meant to quite refined and petrol like.

My mate has a cayanne turbo S, it drives like a car. But he is alwasy moaning about the fuel costs!

The point is to get away from Satan Urine and back to Petrol. I absolutely hate the whole DERV experience, from the noise, smoke, increased servicing costs, filling up and so on.

And the bit about filling up isn't just a case of gloves either. It's always all over the floor, hence shoe soles get covered and thus the carpets, not just all over the handle of the pump either, normally halfway up the hose as well so if you brush against it (hard not to when filling up) you get it on your clothes. Bah, I'd like to get hold of Dr Diesel and set him on bloody fire. Censored

And breathe.......

It really is going to be either a Cayenne or a Supercharged RR. And I'm genuinely torn.....which I never thought I would be. Example here.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...ogcode=flp

Post #139189 3rd Sep 2012 12:08pm
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless Iā€™m not at home, in which case Iā€™m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I have to agree, it's not the best looking thing on the road. It's the look of pity you'd get from other drivers that would put me off! Whistle Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #139193 3rd Sep 2012 12:16pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I find it very easy to avoid getting diesel on myself Smile I just dont use the stuff!!

I either get it filled up by someone or fill up at home and never get a drop on me Smile

Saves a lot more money than petrol or LPG as well and smells nicer....

I wont go on...

If it were me i wouldnt touch a cayenne.

My first experience of one was passing a test mule or demo one just before the launch on the M62 years ago.. Flames coming from the bonnet, fire engine parked well behind it and inside 2 lanes closed....

Never seen another new car have so much flames from it bar lambos and fezzas Smile oh and the volvo issues with the XC 90... FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #139194 3rd Sep 2012 12:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>