Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Any Issues with Recovered / CatB Vehicles I should know?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Joe90

England 
Any Issues with Recovered / CatB Vehicles I should know?

Here is an extract from a listing for a Defender on eBay

"This car was stolen around 7 years ago and was found by the police recently, because of the amount of time the car was missing it was written off and put on the register. When it was discovered it was returned to the insurance company that had paid the claim and they applied for and recieved a logbook. it was after this that i aquired it . Although it shows as a catB write off it has never been damaged and also has a letter from the police that recovered it."

No reason to doubt that the seller is honourable, but what should I be watching out for or concerned about? .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #139579 5th Sep 2012 11:45am
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Assuming, as you say, that there's every assurance the Defender is totally unharmed and undamaged from the theft and recovery, then just the usual Defender things.

Which engine? 90, 110 or 130? Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #139584 5th Sep 2012 12:08pm
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

I've seen the ebay listing for it - 300TDi engine - make sure it's had the replacement cam belt housing done (might have missed a few recalls while it was living under a false identity).

I would imagine you'd need to get it at an attractive price - and should it get stolen again the value might be lower than you'd expect because of its history.

Otherwise, if it looks and drives right and straight, then I'd take a punt. You never know, the tyres could be full of uncut diamonds or other contraband that you could sell to offset the purchase price...

Post #139595 5th Sep 2012 12:42pm
Andy_J

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I think Cat B is break for parts only, so as long as you don't want to put it on the road.... 56 TDV8 Vogue SE
9 Freelanders, 2x 2002 TD4ES, 2001 TD4, 2002 1.8GS, 2000 XEDI, 2x 2000 1.8ES, 2004 1.8 & 2000 1.8 GS (rolled)
91 Lotus Carlton (sold)
90 Lotus Elan (BRG)

Post #139714 5th Sep 2012 8:54pm
Contraband

Scotland 

Salvage Categories

Once a vehicle is written off it is classed as salvage. There are several categories of salvage. In summary the categories are as follows:

Category A - the entire vehicle must be crushed.

Category B - the vehicle may be broken for parts but it must never be returned to the road.

Category C - possible structural damage but the vehicle is repairable. The cost of the damage would have been more than the book value of the car if that repairs were carried out at garage prices and official manufacturers parts.

Category D - most likely to be nonstructural damage and should be relatively easily repairable. In this case the vehicle may have been economical to repair but for other reasons it was written off. For example where the insurer have to provide a courtesy car the time taken to repair the vehicle would mean that the courtesy car cost together with the repair cost would be excessive. In a category D scenario it is more likely that the insurer did not wish to repair.

Category X - this is minor damage and easily repairable. Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #139715 5th Sep 2012 8:59pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

As above parts only Sad there are less legit ways to put it back on the road and some more legit ways.

Like just apparently swapping the chassis.... Whistle FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #139720 5th Sep 2012 9:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1