Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Air Compressor Strip down
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Trist78

2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black
Air Compressor Strip down

My compressor stopped working and I have checked the following, Height sensors, battery is ok, air suspension bags.
I came to the conclusion that my compressor was the culprit.
I had a choice of buying new or having a go.

I Guess when you get to this stage you would have had the following :

Suspension inactive

LED lights on the suspension dial has gone out (In theory you are on a hard lock out)

What I found is that you would need a reset with a diagnostic.

I also tried to do a battery disconnect to reset but to no avail.

Please note for the first time disconnecting follow the WIKI disconnecting battery procedure.

Afterwards remember to do lock to lock( also this doesnt reset the system when your lights has gone out on your susi dial )
This is what I found on my 4.4 V8 petrol.

This is also a temp fix and will need to rebuild it with new parts ie springs to get it in better working order.

Please add to this if you have more info on this.

This is how I did it, also the things I found out.

After I had done it I asked the Master mechanic if I need to disconnect the battery before I disconnect the compressor and the answer was no but make sure the car is off and key taken out.

Took it out the shell and disconnected it off the RR, that would be the block for the power and connection and the airline which is a push fit.

Click image to enlarge

Note to one self take lots of photos around the compressor so you know where to put the pipes back when re-assembling.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Ten ml socket will take the two retaining bolts for the black section ( chamber)
Click image to enlarge

I took a picture of this section for reference

Click image to enlarge

This will pop out so dont be alarmed
Click image to enlarge

Take note the order this is in spring and akind of plug
Click image to enlarge

The rusty spring and cover
Click image to enlarge

Will come back to the chamber strip down
Photo for ref and this is one of the solenoid valves
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This is the first solenoid that I stripped
Click image to enlarge

I took the spring out that pushes the little rod with a rubber seal on the end cap. I also stretched the spring to give it a bit of refresh. Please note it will last forever it will need replacing. I gave the rubber o Ring seal a clean and a slight covering of grease
Click image to enlarge

This was the other solenoid the black one
Click image to enlarge

Again same set up as the other
Click image to enlarge

I checked into here too, I think you can leave this it has a very strong spring and i just cleaned around and dried it all up
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Make sure you don’t lose the washer
Click image to enlarge

I now have the chamber separate and ready to dismantle
Click image to enlarge

Try not take the round stopper at the end until you have pulled out the whole unit out . Saves it spilling out everywhere
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Take note of the o ring clean and lube up
Click image to enlarge

I took out the content and put it in a oven proof container and put in the oven at 100c for about half hour to dry it out a bit more.
Click image to enlarge

All cleaned and dry ready for re assembly
Click image to enlarge

Ref Took the top off with a 10 ml spanner and a torx head cant remember what size
Click image to enlarge

When off checked that the piston was moving freely and cleaned what I could but couldn’t see the point of stripping this down, lubed the moving part and put back together. If you did decide to do it you would need to drill out the rivets and undo the lock tighted long screw.
Click image to enlarge

The Piston ring seemed ok took it off cleaned around and put back together. The piston chamber also got cleaned and slight grease on it just stop any friction.

I put it all back together and then I put a 12v battery to test it and it was ok so it went back in.

Hope this can help some people

Thanks

Trist

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #148146 25th Oct 2012 9:36pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Thumbs Up good write up. Did you rough up the piston ring? Always worth it. Bet you you get 12months out of it! [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #148150 25th Oct 2012 10:19pm
Joe90

England 

Nice work, hope it all holds up Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #148151 25th Oct 2012 10:22pm
Trist78

Rob2529 wrote:
Thumbs Up good write up. Did you rough up the piston ring? Always worth it. Bet you you get 12months out of it!

I cleaned with a green pad, I stretched it by taking it out.

It actually sounds a lot quieter.

Also the other thing I found out was that land rover put out a bulletin about getting the ecu re flashed with regards to bringing down the pressure down to about 9 bar. Apparently this was due to compressors burning out!

I dont know whether the RAC can do this could somebody confirm ???

I can believe it, as mine is currently pumping up over 11 bar !!!! So mine is over working !!

Post #148153 25th Oct 2012 10:30pm
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

i've wiki'ed this excellent write-up... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #148186 26th Oct 2012 8:27am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Thanks Trist, excellent job !!! This definitely deserves a place in the Wiki Hall of Fame Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #148190 26th Oct 2012 8:47am
Meerbusch

United Kingdom 

VERY VERY good describtion of refit the compressor, I make it on the same way, but I change the rusty springs, the piston-ring, the cylinderhead because of his inside-wash-out, the dryerpatrone and the gaskets. But for refit without any money-invest, VERY VERY good, respect! Of course it is not like new, but better than before. Original full power you can ONLY get with new cylinderhead and piston-ring..., regards, Uli TDV8 4.4 from 2012, 278.000km like new + Lancia Flavia Coupe 1964 + RRS L494 3.0 SDV6 + C220CDI Convertible 2021

Post #148243 26th Oct 2012 11:35am
47p2

Scotland 

This guy makes new seals for the compressors, he doesn't always have them in stock but if you need one he will do his best to make one for you as soon as possible. Read on various forums about the excellent service he provides. Worth dropping him a message if you are looking for a replacement. Thumbs Up

Post #148266 26th Oct 2012 12:26pm
Meerbusch

United Kingdom 

Yes, I know this ebay offer since years, but only changing the piston-ring is like new brake rubbers on old brake-discs, you NEED the new cylinderhead, because when I always feel at my repairs with my finger inside the cylinderheads, I feel the (german word: Abnutzung) of the head, new piston ring is only for some month, believe me! Made about 70 compressors of Range Rover like new, only the ring I made at my own some years ago, and after 7 month the problem came back..., therefore I decided to repair commercial + professional with ALL!!! parts new, it costs from 115 for a complet set - 165 GBP incl.work and deliver, regards, Uli TDV8 4.4 from 2012, 278.000km like new + Lancia Flavia Coupe 1964 + RRS L494 3.0 SDV6 + C220CDI Convertible 2021

Post #148288 26th Oct 2012 2:12pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

Abnutzung = wear (deterioration)

Post #148295 26th Oct 2012 2:35pm
Trist78

Meerbusch wrote:
VERY VERY good describtion of refit the compressor, I make it on the same way, but I change the rusty springs, the piston-ring, the cylinderhead because of his inside-wash-out, the dryerpatrone and the gaskets. But for refit without any money-invest, VERY VERY good, respect! Of course it is not like new, but better than before. Original full power you can ONLY get with new cylinderhead and piston-ring..., regards, Uli

Uli

I have said that this is not a fix but a temporary fix or at lease to check if the motor is still running(can be done by putting power to it via a 12v battery) or stuck !

Now I know the motor is working it is now time to do the rebuild with the new bits ! Or I could have had new rebuild kit and found the motor is not working then i would have to spend twice.

Post #148359 26th Oct 2012 5:42pm
ebajema

I wonder if honing the cylinder with a new, slightly bigger ring would have the same effect as all new parts. Anyone have an idea on how much wear/diameter increase occurs in the cylinder head ? MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #150357 9th Nov 2012 10:09am
Meerbusch

United Kingdom 

@ ebjema, plastic HONING???????????????????????????????????????? You will be the millionär, if you can plastic honing...., but the idea is correct. But a new cylinderhead costs round 115 GBP incl. all new parts...

rgards and nice weekend, Uli TDV8 4.4 from 2012, 278.000km like new + Lancia Flavia Coupe 1964 + RRS L494 3.0 SDV6 + C220CDI Convertible 2021

Post #150502 9th Nov 2012 10:50pm
ebajema

Hi Uli, I didn't realize the chamber in which the piston is running was made of plastic, it looks very metallic to me.

Do you know which type of plastic it is ?? MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #150515 10th Nov 2012 9:12am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I fitted the kit from Meerbusch and its now working perfectly. Highly recommended. 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #150728 11th Nov 2012 10:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>