Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Diff modification question !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
td6 vogue

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
Diff modification question !

Guys more help needed. Have had my vogue from new 04 but it has not had the diff modification and has been in europe with me the last 18 mths and serviced once in europe at main dealer. I am going to get it serviced this month (uk) and ask them if they can do this Diff. Question is will i have a problem with this and will i have to pay? The car has been serviced every year before this at a LRMD but i think i only heard about this Diff mod on here.

Post #10814 8th Jan 2010 7:26pm
S1NGH

Kenya 

Should be free afaik.

Post #10815 8th Jan 2010 7:27pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

It should be free as part of the Range Rover Assurance Programme, however if you car is not showing any signs of Diff problems I would not bother.

how many miles has your car done?If its over 60K it probably will never have an issue.

The reason I say not to bother is that if your car goes to a dealer and they 'fix' something that is not broken it can only lead to trouble! When I had mine done it then developed a leak and needed 2 further visits over about a 6 month period to be re-fixed. I wished I had never bothered. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #10817 8th Jan 2010 7:39pm
td6 vogue

RRUK, this is whats worrying me as it has done only 33k miles and has never had one problem! In fact i have just had one side light bulb go recently and i was shocked to see a warning come up on the screen.

Post #10821 8th Jan 2010 8:02pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

I was told by my Dealer that the failures of the front propshaft were usually seen at 3 years old or 60,000 miles.

Because so many were happening at the time and Land Rover could not source enough new replacement Diffs they started using reconditioned ones which then would fail again because they were not strong enough.

(The propshaft was the issue not the Diff, prop splines would break and enter the Diff causing it to explode internally)

If its running smooth and no noises you've never heard before, leave well alone.

If it ever does explode, it should get fixed FOC anyway. Its your call but in hindsight I know what I would do. Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #10823 8th Jan 2010 8:12pm
td6 vogue

RRUK you may well be right! Thanks for your help will let you know when i have spoken to a dealer what i have done!

Post #10827 8th Jan 2010 8:19pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

The reason the Dealers don't advertise the Assurance Programme is that its FOC work to you!

If you Do get it done, at the time they were lending owners a TDV8 Vogue for the day and you just may still get that, ask them....

A FFRR is just the BEST car to cruise round Europe in isn't it? Just SO British.... Very Happy Thumbs Up Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Post #10831 8th Jan 2010 8:24pm
GKP

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

RRUK wrote:

Because so many were happening at the time and Land Rover could not source enough new replacement Diffs they started using reconditioned ones which then would fail again because they were not strong enough.

(The propshaft was the issue not the Diff, prop splines would break and enter the Diff causing it to explode internally)

What?! I think you've been confudulated by too much information.

The forward end of the front prop has a male splined end, the diff has a female splined receiver. Together they make a rotating slip joint, although the slip is measured in milimeters.
The splines wear and when failure occurs all that happens is the prop spins inside the female receiver and makes a terrible din at the same time. The result is a complete loss of drive.

The female receiver is attached to the diff input shaft using a single nut, however this nut is also used to set the preload on a crush spacer. This preload is what causes the main issue in any repair. Ideally the the preload should be set once and that's it, so the correct way of repairing would be to supply a complete new diff and a new front prop. However it is possible to remove and replace the female receiver in situ, but setting the correct preload on the securing nut is critical. (It is flippin' tight!) Too loose and the two roller bearings which support the input shaft will be allowed to move - with inevitable diff munching consequences. At no time can any splines enter the sealed diff casing to cause damage.
There was an attempt at a solution when failures started happening, this involved nothing more than checking the alignment of the diff to the transfer box and lubricating the splines of both parts (of the sliding joint regularly and drilling a hole in the end of the front prop - reasons unapparent at the moment!

The official LR fix is to replace the two parts of the sliding joint (the splined male prop and splined female receiver) with what is essentially a CV (constant velocity) joint. The fix is free of charge and shouldn't take more than a few hours to do. Not sure you should be reading this bit.

Post #10873 9th Jan 2010 9:59pm
S1NGH

Kenya 

I'd recommend getting it done - can be very ugly if it fails at high speed. The design of the original version isn't very clever, the replacemant part is much better.

Post #10876 9th Jan 2010 10:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1