Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
RRPhil

United Kingdom 
ZF 6HP26 teardown

First, a bit of background .....

Click image to enlarge

Pierre Lepelletier is one of my heroes. He was born in 1928 and spent the whole of his career working for Ferodo (now Valeo) in France. At the age of 59 he took early retirement and then, two years later, filed a patent application for a new geartrain arrangement for automatic transmissions that could produce six well-spaced ratios using only 5 clutches, a Ravigneaux epicyclic and a simple epicyclic.

Click image to enlarge

This was in December 1989. A few years later he had signed licenses with Aisin-AW (the world’s largest automatic transmission manufacturer), ZF, Ford, Jatco & GM allowing them all to manufacture transmissions using his geartrain system.

Why was his invention so important? Well, in ZF’s case - compared with the 5-speed 5HP24 unit that it replaced - the 6HP26 had 29% fewer parts (down from 666 to 470), was 44mm shorter (reduced from 697mm to 653mm) and weighed 12% less, despite its higher torque capacity and increased ratio spread. Most of the world’s OEMs switched to 6-speed transmissions as a result.

A colleague of mine was lucky enough to meet and have a chat with Monsieur Lepelletier at a conference a few years ago and told me that he’s a perfect gentleman. Now in his mid-eighties, I hope he enjoys a long and healthy retirement – and hopefully he’s made a few quid from the 20 million or so 6-speed transmissions that have so far been produced using his patented design!

The ZF 6HP26 transmission first appeared in 2001 in the 7 Series BMW, the year before the L322 Range Rover was launched, but since Ford had taken Land Rover off BMW’s hands in 2000, the L322 driveline development was frozen resulting in the Range Rover being launched with the already out-of-date 5-speed ZF unit in 2002. It wasn’t until 2006MY, when the Jaguar petrol engines were introduced, that the Range Rover finally caught up and the 6-speed unit became available. The diesel version had to wait yet another year for the TDV8 to be introduced before the infamous GM 5L40-E was finally abandoned in favour of the 6HP26.

Strictly, the Range Rover is fitted with the ZF 6HP26X transmission (the ‘X’ stands for external 4WD i.e. fitted with a separate transfer box) with part numbers starting 1068 020 XXX, the rear-wheel drive variant being the ZF 6HP26 (part numbers starting 1068 010 XXX) and the ‘internal 4WD’ version for Audi & Bentley being designated the ZF 6HP26A61 with part numbers starting 1068 030 XXX.

Anyway, on with the teardown ….

Click image to enlarge

I saw this particular transmission on eBay, actually from a supercharged 4.2l V8 Range Rover Sport, with a starting price of £50 – and I turned out to be the only bidder.

After sliding the torque converter off its splines, and placing it safely to one side, I drained out the transmission fluid. The drain plug is at the back of the plastic sump pan.

Click image to enlarge

Incidentally, the filler/level plug is on the right side of the casing, in a location similar to the 5-speed units

Click image to enlarge

Sump pan removal next – there are 21 screws in all and it’s good to see that the head size has been increased to Torx T40, from T27 used on the 5HP24, to make the heads less likely to strip

Click image to enlarge

These screws are tightened to 8Nm. ZF warn against removing the sump pan at fluid temperatures above 40 deg. C due to the risk of the plastic distorting at higher temperatures!

The sump pan then just pulls off

Click image to enlarge

The filter is an integral part of the sump pan and the photo shows where the oil enters the filter at the very bottom of the sump and also the suction tube which engages in a hole in the oil pump housing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This particular sump pan/filter had never been changed, as revealed by the 2005 date stamp

Click image to enlarge

The OEM is Filtran (as for the 5HP24)

Click image to enlarge

and two sump magnets sit either side of the drain plug at the rear of the sump pan

Click image to enlarge

The electrical connector sleeve is removed next, by first pulling out its retaining clip

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and the connector sleeve will then come out of the casing

Click image to enlarge

It’s easy to see, from the casing corrosion which has coated the two O-ring seals, why this is a very common source of oil leaks in the 6HP26 transmission.

The electrical pins on the Mechatronic module can be seen through the hole in the casing where the sleeve was extracted

Click image to enlarge

There are ten screws in all (Torx T40) which bolt the Mechatronic module to the casing - seven long and three short - and these are easy to distinguish from the screws which hold the two valve block halves together which are only T27 and have a smaller head size

Click image to enlarge

The rooster comb pin engages in a slot in the manual valve which also drives the slider on the (brown) potentiometer so that the controller knows which gear position has been selected by the driver

Click image to enlarge

The Mechatronic module can then be lifted out

Click image to enlarge

The Mechatronic module is a combined hydraulic valve block and transmission ECU. It also houses both the turbine and output speed sensors and also the fluid temperature sensor. There’s a risk that electro-static discharge could damage the ECU so ZF recommend that a ground strap is worn when handling it

Click image to enlarge

This is how the underside of the casing looks with the Mechatronic module removed

Click image to enlarge

Next, the bridge seal to the pump housing just lifts off

Click image to enlarge

and then each of the four rubber jump tubes has to be extracted

Click image to enlarge

In terms of length, there are two small, one medium and one large tube

Click image to enlarge

The park lock engagement mechanism can be seen in the photo above and this is removed next, together with the selector shaft

Click image to enlarge

So that’s it for the underside, next our attention turns to the front of the transmission.

The oil pump and stator support assembly is retained by 13 Torx T27 screws

Click image to enlarge

and each of the (identical) screws is fitted with a washer with a rubber insert to prevent leaks

Click image to enlarge

The assembly can then be drawn out from the casing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next out is the A & E clutch assembly, which includes the front epicyclic

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Followed by the B clutch assembly

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

To remove the static C clutch (& D clutch) housing, the large snap ring has to be extracted first

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

and it can then be drawn out

Click image to enlarge

The two rectangular blocks in slots on the outside of the drum prevent the assembly rotating in the casing

Click image to enlarge

Now the Ravigneaux epicyclic, together with the D clutch pack, follow

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Which just leaves the output shaft

Click image to enlarge

The intricate basket weaving around the annulus gear is actually the target wheel for the output speed sensor

Click image to enlarge

Turning to the back of the transmission, the rear output seal is removed

Click image to enlarge

to reveal a snap ring that retains the insert which locates the rear axial bearing

Click image to enlarge

A couple of threaded holes allow extraction bolts to be screwed in to assist with its removal

Click image to enlarge

So that’s just about it. The casing is now empty

Click image to enlarge

A very simple process requiring no special tools.

Next step is to disassemble each of the subassemblies in turn. I’ll follow up with reports on progress with those.

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #152170 20th Nov 2012 12:43am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks Phill, good read.

I always did think they should've used torx 40's instead of 27's. Laughing

Question for you. All these ZF 6 speeders, are they basically the same regardless of whether they're fitted to a BMW 116 or a Bentley W12?

Post #152177 20th Nov 2012 4:28am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

Very interesting as always, Phil. Learned a lot on this post - thanks.
And it is really good to see that there are still engineers who get their hands dirty!

Did this particular trans not have any probs? Seems that the six and up speeds are much more reliable than both the ZF and GM 5 speeds. Prices are considerably less for many late model transmissions. Maybe we need to rethink what it would take to actually do a swap. A CAN translation module would not be much trouble. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #152182 20th Nov 2012 7:52am
simon1233

United Kingdom 

Really interesting post Phil, I must say that I am fascinated/terrified in equal measure by the sheer complexity of these transmissions.

Looking forwards to the next updates Thumbs Up

Post #152184 20th Nov 2012 8:19am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Excellent post Phil, wish we still had people like you doing the workshop manuals of cars in this way !!!
Thumbs Up Bow down MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #152189 20th Nov 2012 8:58am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Wow great write up Phil Thumbs Up

Post #152196 20th Nov 2012 9:17am
47p2

Scotland 

Awesome write up as usual Phil, I just wish I understood it all Big Cry

Post #152199 20th Nov 2012 9:53am
mrd1990

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Oslo Blue

More detail can be found in this video:

Post #152226 20th Nov 2012 12:19pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Thumbs Up FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #152228 20th Nov 2012 12:24pm
simon1233

United Kingdom 

The Rockwell video is fantastically illuminating, really cleared things up for me... Thumbs Up

Post #152235 20th Nov 2012 12:39pm
madcima

Italy 2006 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

Congratulations, nice service!!
Shocked

Post #152252 20th Nov 2012 1:13pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Wow, just Wow !! Bow down Bow down

As for the sub-assemblies, are there any special tools needed for overhauling these?

I've rebuilt many a manual gearbox but never an auto. This makes me understand that they are not quite as scary as I thought.

Cheers. Dom.

Post #152278 20th Nov 2012 2:24pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your kind comments.

@KurtVerbose

ZF have a range of three 6-speed transmissions to cover different torque capacities. These started out as the 6HP19, 6HP26 & 6HP32 but were later upgraded to ‘2nd generation’ versions with higher torque capacities and renamed 6HP21, 6HP28 and 6HP34 respectively. The 6HP28 was introduced by Range Rover when the 5.0l V8 was launched for 2010MY. I’m afraid I don’t know what proportion of components are common to all of them.

Click image to enlarge

@ SteveMFr

The history of the particular transmission that I’ve stripped is somewhat uncertain. It was listed as ‘working fine when removed’ but it’s sourced from an individual rather than a dismantlers so why anyone would wake up in the morning thinking “Hmmm, my gearbox seems to be working fine at the moment. I think I’ll take it out of my car and stick it on eBay for £50” I’m not sure. The fluid looks a bit contaminated to me so I’m thinking that I might find some issues once I start getting the subassemblies apart – we’ll see.
I agree that, with 11 years of use under its belt now, the 6-speed unit appears to be much more reliable than the 5-speeds (especially the 5L40-E!) it replaced. Certainly the ‘second-hand’ prices are a lot less. 5HP24s are generally priced around £1200 and the 6HP26s around £700 – probably a reflection of the fact that they’re much more plentiful, having also been used in the Disco 3, Disco 4 and RR Sport.
Interesting thought about retrofitting the 6-speed into the ’02-‘05/’06 models…

Unfortunately I don’t have speakers on my PC at work so I’m not learning much from the Rockwell video I’m afraid – but I’m looking forward to viewing it in all its glory this evening where I hope to receive full technology transfer.

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #152307 20th Nov 2012 4:39pm
KurtVerbose

Thanks Phill. Thumbs Up

Post #152315 20th Nov 2012 5:05pm
KurtVerbose

simon1233 wrote:
The Rockwell video is fantastically illuminating, really cleared things up for me... Thumbs Up

Yes, it certainly covers one or two things that Phill has missed out.

Is it just me, or does anyone else hear 'doodie' when Americans say 'duty' - as in 'heavy doodie'?

Post #152316 20th Nov 2012 5:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>