Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L405) > First impressions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
montpellier

First impressions

Had a chance to drive a 4.4 TDV8 Vogue SE on Saturday. Cannot compare to 3.0 obviously but have to say very impressed. Engine was seemless in power delivery and under hard acceleration makes a pleasing noise , most unlike a diesel. Performance superior due to reduced weight and engine mods, not a huge difference but sufficient. Handling is sublime for such a big car, and ride far superior to the outgoing model. It has lost it's "wobble". Not saying the last model is poor, in fact it is still great, but the new car is far more sophisicated in it's application. It just feels like it has grown up as a car. Steering is precise, and nicely weighted, road noise minimal, and it feels far sportier.

Looks, weel actually it feels if anything smaller, due to the lower nose, and I did not feel the width to be an issue. Having said that I had just come from driving a wider car. In any case it did not feel any more imposing than the Sport or FF. I think it looks modern, and classy, it did not have the zoro accents, and think it is better for that. Certainly it keeps the lofty road presence that Range Rover are famed for. It is still a noble car and one of the few cars where the whole family will be at home.

Interior, well it is another step up, nothing dramatic, but very classy. I would agree with the other comments, that the touch screen may drive everyone mad. There is good reason why BMW, Mercedes and Audi use a rotating wheel. I think it is an area where owners, with use, will probably mark the car down.There are more toys that you can think of, and the comment that it is a cheap Bentley are not far off the mark. Whilst price has gone up for a 4.4, you can still get the 3.0 at similar levels to the outgoing car. Finish was perfect on the car I drove, and the overall impression is that of a quality product.

It is proving popular, spoken with 4 dealers, one is sold out until mid 2014 (!) 2 all of 2013, and one had 2 slots left in 2013. Almost all have sold Autobiography or Vogue SE 4.4 , only one an entry 3.0 Vogue (there are other 3.0 cars, but am talking majority). Seems most are exisiting owners coming from current V8. There were a few Supercharged cars at the London dealer.

My car should arrive in January, and I am quite excited I have to say, it is a very impressive car.

Last edited by montpellier on 8th Dec 2012 10:36am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #155712 6th Dec 2012 11:48am
oldcro

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Stornoway Grey

The only good news in your post is that dealers are rapidly selling out of Vogue SE 4.4's. If they were available next year I would be looking at trading in my Westminster cause it sounds like my ideal motor.

Thanks for an excellent review by the way.

Post #155784 6th Dec 2012 3:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1