Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Ride making me queasy - is it the tyres?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Harrup

2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red
Ride making me queasy - is it the tyres?

Good evening,

I am a long time FFRR owner. First had a Classic for 10 years, and then, until last week the 4.6 HSE which I drove for 13 years. Never once had a problem with motion sickness, not as a passenger not as a driver. In fact, I NEVER get airsick, car sick, sea sick - regardless of how turbulent or bumpy the trip. Regardless of what car. Not ever.

Enter the new - appologies, newer, RR, a 4.2 V8 supercharged (2007). Stunning car, handles beautifully but.......every time I am in that car I get queasy after a few minutes ride. As a driver, as a front or back passenger. I am stumped ( and nauseous!).

Mystified I presented the car to my local LR expert. Who thought it highly unlikely that it was a suspension problem or any other grave fault. Still he will give the car a thorough health check Next week.

The only other thing I considered as the culprit are the tyres. It came with yokohama advan at the front and Goodyear eagle M & S at the back (255/50/20R). Never driven a Rangie with unmatched tyres before, nor am I familiar with either of those makes. I always had sets of Michelins or Pirelli's on any of my previous RR's. Plus, they had smaller diameter wheels.

My question to the forum:
Could the 20" mismatched tyres and/or wheel size perhaps be responsible for an overly wallowey, bouncy ride? A set of matching new  tyres were planned anyway ( Pirelli Scorpion)  but, maybe I should bite the bullet and go for different ( smaller)  sized wheels as well?

If anyone could share their experience on ride quality relating to specific tyres and/or wheel size I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks in advance

Post #161064 1st Jan 2013 8:55pm
JAYBOY

Wales 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Maybe you're going through the change. Laughing

It maybe the tyres. How much tread is left on them.

do you feel queasy with the window down a bit Question 2020 Porsche Panamera Turbo Hybrid (V FAST)
2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 V8
2018 JCW Mini Cooper
2018 Skoda VRS

Post #161070 1st Jan 2013 9:03pm
TheAllSeeingPie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged Supercharged Java Black

I found the Advans a bit squirmy and changed them for Pirelli Scorpions when they wore out. Felt much better afterwards d they don't do too bad off road either. FYI I have the same MY/spec as you. 
07 Supercharged - Still breaking her in!

Boot soundproofing part 1 - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15612.html
Custom exhaust - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15296.html
18" wheels for Brembo equipped cars - http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic15052.html

Post #161133 1st Jan 2013 11:23pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

That very strange, try a couple of quells or stematil then give it a go.

I can't see that the tyres should have that big an effect so as to make you I'll, if anything the larger diameter wheels should firm up the ride slightly, and it is a pretty small difference over the 19" wheels.

Do you know anyone local with a ffrr you could have a ride in with matching tyres to see if it makes a difference before you splash the cash There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #161138 2nd Jan 2013 12:46am
JohnnyDangerous

England 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Ex leak into the vehicle maybe One day your life will flash before your eyes......................................make sure yours is worth watching!

Post #161139 2nd Jan 2013 1:09am
xjsracer44

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE Supercharged Java Black

Was the car sitting around for a long time before you bought it, if so the tyres may have flat spotted and therefore cause a strange bobbing motion?

If so this can normally be corrected by frequent use, but may be more pronounced on certain makes of tyre.

Changing to a completely new matched set should eliminate the problem, but worth checking first.

If possible try the car on a different set of wheels & tyres to see if that improves matters or get the balance checked on the existing ones.

Post #161143 2nd Jan 2013 7:31am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Before spending ANY money at all try the easiest check.

Drive another L322 model, anything, and see if you feel the same. That way you can narrow it down and know if its JUST your car or something else entirely. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #161151 2nd Jan 2013 9:04am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Check the pressures as advised above Smile

Did your 4.6HSE have the fabled air suspension or a conversion?

Its well known that hydro-pneumatic and air sprung cars can make some people queesey, Citroen were fabled for this when they had their uber soft riding cars Sad

Also maybe try swapping the tyres front to back, maybe they aren't happy with the weights on them at the minute.

Have you tried putting a smelly thing in the car, its possible there is something odourless causing this? FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #161157 2nd Jan 2013 9:19am
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

First thing I'd do is look for exhaust leaks, or leaks from the breather pipes under the bonnet (at the back of the engine I think on yours). Carbon Monoxide - odourless and colourless - and can cause queasyness (before unconsciousness and death).

Try a household CO detector in the car and see if it goes off.

Post #161321 2nd Jan 2013 4:33pm
Harrup

2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

Firstly, sincere thanks to all for your input. Really appreciated.

Took the nausea inducing spiffy vehicle to the tyre place today to see whether tyres needed balancing, check for flat-spots, etc., etc. Plus, I wanted a new matching set of tyres anyhow. New tyres to be fitted next week.

However.....and for the lack of a better description...I have a gut feeling ( very apt since I feel queasy!) that it isn't necessarily due to the current mismatched tyres. Or at least, not SOLELY due to the tyres. Since, as I mentioned in my OP, I Am NOT prone to motion sickness. I have flown in strong crosswinds on small aircrafts, I have been on ferrys and boats in diabolically rough seas....all around me people throwing up and I am feeling just fine n'dandy.

Moreover, since I get incredibly attached to my RR's I drive them for a decade or more... and until the suspension can only euphemistically be called "very interesting". The Classic RR, in particular,had a "VERY interesting" ride towards the end. Not once did I feel queasy in either. And to answer kingpleb - yup, my 4.6 HSE has the fabled air suspension. Loved it - EAS faults n'all.

Anyhow, many thanks to Simes and JonnyDangerous for mentioning a possible exhaust leak. I shall buy a new CO2 detector tomorrow and see whether this sheds further light on the matter. If it is an exhaust leak - it would explain why my husband doesn't feel queasy in the car since he routinely likes to drive with the window open and have ALL airvents blow fresh air at him whilst I have the window closed and hate have cold air spewing at me through the vents. But as it's my car and I am the primary driver it has to primarily suit me!

Still, just to be throrough, I'm going to test another L322 tomorrow. Won't be a petrol engine - which are seemingly rarer then hens teeth around here - but as close as I can get.

Thank you again.

Post #161407 2nd Jan 2013 9:46pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

CO2 detector...great catch, wish I had thought of that.

Keep us posted please Thumbs Up Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #161411 2nd Jan 2013 9:57pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

If you do get the tyres replaced and I still suspect they aren't the cause, ask to retain them as they could be used by another member, especially when they don't lead to the solution Smile

Ps for my tuppence I think you may have some bush that's going old and aged and not damping as it should.

Don't forget you need to be testing another car with the same size alloys and tyres on as the ride differs enough to notice between 18/19/20/22" rims Wink FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #161415 2nd Jan 2013 10:03pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey

My guess is that it'll be a CO problem and you're going to find that out prettty quick...

However, back on the wheels thing, I'm a bit surprised by the size stated - not that there seems to be a standard size as such. I have the same car. It came with 275/45/20s. Its currently got 255/55/19s on for winter and I'll be swapping back when the threat of another cold snap recedes a bit further. 255 on 20s seems unual and I've seen most 50series on Sports not FFs but that just might be cos I need to get out more. But as I said, I've not detetcted any real standard for size on FFRRs so I cant see why it would affect anything more than speedo accuracy. If you get stuck and want a go in mine for comparison (albeit on the winter rubber for now)....I'm sure we could arrange a meet somewhere (East Devon?) Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #161462 3rd Jan 2013 8:46am
VaguelyVogue

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Buckingham Blue

There are three standard sizes for the L322:
R20 255 50
R19 255 55
R18 255 60

Post #161467 3rd Jan 2013 9:12am
RRUK
Site Supporter

Across the L322 range of models and wheel sizes the outside rolling diameter of the standard supplied sizes were identical. This meant you could mix and match in an emergency.

Therefore in theory if you were running a Supercharged on 20" standard size wheels and tyres you could put an 18" or 19" wheel on as a spare and it would have no dramatic affect (at sensible speed and handling limits)

Edited: On a Supercharged or TDV8 you would have to think about clearance for the Brembo brakes - even though someone actually doing this is highly unlikely I felt compelled to point this out.

Standard sizes are as follows for the L322

20" Alloys
255/50/20

19" Alloys
255/55/19

18" Alloys
255/60/18

Note that 275/45/20 are NOT a Land Rover fitment for the L322. These were put only on the Sport (and maybe the Evoque but I've never checked). My TDV8 had this size on when I bought it from a main dealer and I argued the toss with them that they invalidated my insurance. They said they were fine, so I asked them to sign a letter for my insurance company stating that although Land Rover had NEVER fitted this size to a full size RR, they would advocate they were safe etc. I also rang Land Rover and got them to state that they had never fitted that size. (I did my homework)

They put on a new set of tyres quite swiftly after that.... Whistle Discovery 4 HSE
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

Last edited by RRUK on 3rd Jan 2013 11:42am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #161468 3rd Jan 2013 9:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>