Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > 4.4 V8 rocker cover gaskets
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Deasy

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Hmmmm, why are range rovers so needy???

I knew this needed doing as they had started to weep, but it went into 'il do that next month iv spent enough this month' list

My ff had other ideas, and as the wife pulled onto the drive it was prety clear the weep has turned to a prety frequent drip, but not quite a pour yet Sad

Dan at duckworth, you have a PM! 

Post #184986 26th Apr 2013 8:23pm
Rob2529

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Mine were a bit random. I knew they always had a weep, but took it for an LPG service and the guy said he had a massive pool under the car from a leek Shocked . Looked under and found nothing. I can only guess the rocker got pressured up through the PCV getting blocked or something and forcing the oil out. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #184993 26th Apr 2013 9:11pm
Deasy

I'm guessing that's what originally made mine weep rob. But iv done the pcv valve and hoses

The rockers have quite a leak ATM, seems to be coming from everywhere! Iv herd you can remove them, clean them ip and put abit of gasket sealant on and they might be ok? As they are rubber gaskets not paper/metal???

Any ideas? 

Post #184998 26th Apr 2013 9:44pm
Rob2529

They are rubber yes BUT if your going to the effort of removing them to check I would just replace them. The worst area i think is the back of the gasket. There is a big half circle that's filled with the gasket. Only reason I can think of is to get the cam shafts in or something like that. If there's no reason it's Censored stupid idea.
My bolt seals were rock hard and were leaking so guess the gasket could easily harden.
You could try as a temp fix to try tightening up the nuts on the cover. I got about 1/4 of a turn on mine when they started leaking. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #185030 27th Apr 2013 7:48am
Deasy

Ok il give that ago as I have noticed oil around the bolt heads abit 

Post #185041 27th Apr 2013 8:33am
dirtyharry

Well, I followed Robs' excellent instructions and attempted the passenger side first, but alas to no avail Sad

Rob said it would be a little fiddly, but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get the rocker cover off as there were too many pipes in the way, especially with the LPG system too. I did replace the rubber seal washers though and hopefully that'll prevent any weeping on the PAX side (it wasn't too bad anyway).

Good news was the driver's side was a piece of cake and the rocker cover came off easily! Very Happy The gasket had hardened and was almost breaking up as I removed it from the cover. Swapped that and the inner gasket for new ones and all the rubber seal washers - fingers crossed that's a good job done! Very Happy

However, bad news was (and rather puzzling) I disconnected the earth lead to the battery whilst working on it and when I'd finished the battery was flat Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head

Just need to do the oil and filter change, transmission filter and fluid, adjust the handbrake, clean the slight corrosion off the brake pipes (both MOT advisories), swap the FSR for a new one, sort out the flat battery.........etc etc....the list never ends Sad Cheers

Greg

Go ahead punk, make my day........

Previous vehicles:-
Far too many to list (in excess of 45!)

Post #187264 8th May 2013 7:58pm
Deasy

Yep I have the same issue, my LPG kit is right in the way! 

Post #187270 8th May 2013 8:23pm
dirtyharry

Glad it's not just me then! Wink Cheers

Greg

Post #187272 8th May 2013 8:25pm
Rob2529

its a total Censored to do but you both haven't tried hard enough Rolling with laughter my LPG kit was very neat and tucked away behind the engine so probably had a bit more room to work. The part that got in the way the most was the air con pipe work. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]

Post #187299 8th May 2013 10:03pm
Deasy

This is how tight mine is!

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  

Post #187300 8th May 2013 10:07pm
Rob2529

ooooosh thats going to be tight! I struggled to get past the blend motor without the evaporator being there! All my stuff was tucked away behind the block. Made it hard to service and work on but looked good and obviously made changing the rocker easier. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]

Post #187303 8th May 2013 10:16pm
dirtyharry

Mine is not too dissimilar to Deasy's!

I did try Rob, honest I did Embarassed Cheers

Greg

Post #187331 9th May 2013 6:38am
paneldamage

United Kingdom 

Just done this today on my 4.4 M62, both sides, absolute pig to do the passenger side with the LPG pipe work, six hours but wasted a load of time dodging the rain, then had to take the undertray off co I dropped one of the special nuts in the bowels of the beast, plus the gasket keeps falling off- that's bl***y gravity for you- or it gets knocked off as you manoeuvre it home.... top tip, some strong elastic bands, about five of them spaced out along the cover to hold it in the groove, then just cut the bands and pull them out when the cover is nearly on....

Post #217757 20th Oct 2013 7:43pm
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

It's not a pushrod engine and it's pre valvetronic so there's no actual rocker. Aren't they actually cam cover gaskets?

I'm not trying to be a tw@, just thinking some people might not find this excellent write up for looking for the right/wrong thing.

Post #217759 20th Oct 2013 7:56pm
Zambezi

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Great thread and explanation with very clear photos, thank you.
Just about to attempt this, not looking forward to it as mine has LPG so access on both sides restricted, driver's side due to the loom and nearside due to regulator and plumbing Sad
Could people who have done this let me know their experience of pattern parts v OEM v LR originals please ?
The price difference is huge, from £7 per side for the gaskets to £30.
Other questions:
Should I also renew the rubber gaskets on the plastic top cover ? Mine seem fine.
Should I use any gasket sealant or thick rubber friendly grease on the cam cover gasket ? Would this help hold the gaskets in place whilst refitting parts ?
Lastly, the rubber seals to the retaining bolts seem to be either LYF000050 or LYF000030. They look almost identical but which is correct ?
Thanks
David

I think I've found the difference between LYF000030 and ...50. The 30 seems to be for the retaining nuts (3 per side) right at the front of the camcover, visible without taking the plastic cover off whereas the 50 seems to be for the retaining nuts (8 per side) under the plastic cover.... I'm happy to be corrected...shame as the Allmake version of the 30 is half the cost of the 50 2002 4.4 V8 with LPG
Zambezi silver

Post #369281 29th Jan 2016 8:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>