Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Whats the optimal tyre / wheel combination
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Playsatan

Scotland 
Whats the optimal tyre / wheel combination

I've found myself in the unexpected position of looking for some new wheels and tyres.

When I bought my car a few weeks ago it had a set of 20" RRS supercharged wheels which had just been rerubed. The tyres on them had a few mm of tread above the minimum but no more and were budget brands. I figured I'd run it like that through the summer and get some better rubber before the end of autumn.

That was the plan until I walked out of my front door yesterday to see one wheel sitting on the rim. I took it to my local garage to get the puncture fixed only to find out the rim had a split about an inch long. The split was from a previous (poor) repair. So with no option but to stick on the spare I brought it back home to look at my options.

The thing is as I look at the car sporting a 20" and 18" I'm not sure what I prefer. The 18" looks under wheeled but now I look at it the 20" looks under tyred.

Click image to enlarge

So my question is what's the best combo? I can buy a non genuine rim for £150 and put my old tyre onto it until I change all 4 as per the original plan but could I up the profile on a sport 20"? Or should I buy a set of 18's and start over?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #177788 15th Mar 2013 7:30pm
Contraband

Scotland 

I would wait and buy a complete set of 4 with 19"or 20" tyres that have been taken off a new car. They come up regularly. Dan sells them now and again also. Thumbs Up
Ps.. I don't like either of the rims you have on at the moment.. Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Last edited by Contraband on 15th Mar 2013 7:41pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #177791 15th Mar 2013 7:40pm
SteveyD

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

So meet in the middle and fit vogue 19's, cheap as chips and a good looking wheel.

Personally I'm looking to run 20's, I once wanted 22's but due to the risk of wheel cracking I'm avoiding them now.

Post #177792 15th Mar 2013 7:40pm
GreenBlood

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Go with a set of 19's. just the right balance. If you don't get stuck then you are not trying hard enough.
2012 FFRR TDV8 Westminister
Gone: Def90 2.8i, Def110 2.8i
Gone: RRC 2-Door and 4-Door, 2007 FFRR TDV8 Vogue
Gone: Aussie Spec D1 V8, D2 V8

Post #177811 15th Mar 2013 9:28pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I've run a few sets in my ownership and 19 is by far the best all round and the comfort difference at towing pressures between 19 and 20 is noticeable to me Smile
Tyres are cheaper as well.

Tyres depend on what you do in the ff.

If your doing anything that might be off Tarmac then Pirelli ATR's are getting good reviews on the disco site. On here some like the vred wintrac 4 extremes and get good life out of them too.

I've ran conti, Pirelli scorp zero, goodyear wrangler uhp and now run a mix of ATR's front and scorp zero at the rear and it feels well balanced and comfortable but longevity I have yet to find out.

Plenty of sets come up on the bay and the ones up your way either go for well over what I'd class as good value and other times at utter bargain prices depending on which way the wind seems to be blowing but just keep an eye out Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #177818 15th Mar 2013 10:13pm
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Since your options are wide open, check to see if tyres you like are available in the three sizes. That could help with your decision.

Post #177842 16th Mar 2013 6:42am
Playsatan

Scotland 

Many thanks for the advise guys. I think 19's may be the way to go but unfortunately there seems to be only battered or over priced examples for sale in my area at the moment.

I've put a wanted thread in the for sale section and will continue to trawl ebay and gumtree.

Kingpleb - I have found one local set of brand new wheels and tyres for £600 running scorpion zeros. The first couple of reviews I've seen don't look very good, how did you find them for wear, grip and through the snow and ice?

Post #177934 16th Mar 2013 6:50pm
Playsatan

Scotland 

One last question - are FFRR and RRS wheels the same width? I.e. if I come across a set can I fit standard sized (255) FFRR tyres to them?

Many thanks.

Post #177935 16th Mar 2013 7:02pm
kingpleb

I think the rrs wheels are a little wider but you should be able to get away with 255 tyres on them.

The scorp zeros are good tyres but are soft for my liking but could last up to 20k.

Ill have a nose about later for you and see what there is as some couriers can move alloys about and the disco guys are a great bunch for helping move stuff about and could possibly help. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #177938 16th Mar 2013 7:25pm
kingpleb

Oh and on ice and snow and mud as long as the tread is above 5mm they should be capable.

They are a trade off between road, off road, and snow/ice.

They do a good job and if your happy with upto 20k miles on them they should do you well Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #177939 16th Mar 2013 7:28pm
Playsatan

Scotland 

Thank again for the good advice.

20k would be ok as I currently average 4 - 5k a year. Plus I'm used to the wear rate of R888's on my other car, you could kill a set of them in a weekend.

Post #177943 16th Mar 2013 7:44pm
kingpleb

A weekend is a long life Wink had some hard to find hard wear and stiff shoulder Yokos on my old activa and they didn't last long up front Whistle

Just watch the fronts if you push on. I tend to stick at towing pressures front and a little softer at rear and drop them down if weather is bad for extra grip but helps keep a good front back balance only showing a light rear on very greasey roads when powering hard from a standstill round a corner the back tries to slide which is ace sliding a 2.6tonne beast about Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's

Post #177947 16th Mar 2013 8:03pm
aneurysm1

2010 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Cairns Blue

Hankook venturis are good tyres, I have them and they are long lasting well priced and nice and quiet. Heard a lot of people giving them very good reviews

Post #177957 16th Mar 2013 10:39pm
Simes

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

I'd vote for the Pirelli tyres too. Just changed the set I bought last year (on wheels) from Dan - 45,000 miles and they were down to 2mm.

The Pirelli's wear well on the FFRR IMHO.

Post #177973 17th Mar 2013 9:25am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1