Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Calling RRPhil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green
Calling RRPhil

Gents, does anyone have an email address for RRPhil ?? I have two PMs for him that he hasn't read yet (one is quite old) and I really hope that he can give me the answers Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #177866 16th Mar 2013 11:50am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

here,

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post105033.html#105033

it looks like you have to add the .uk onto the end..

...and he's a regular on the rangerovers.net forum... ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #177867 16th Mar 2013 11:53am
ebajema

Bump. As in I tried Stan's suggestions but that didn't help MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #178844 21st Mar 2013 11:58am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

he is about as he's posted here a couple of days ago.

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic17422.html ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #178853 21st Mar 2013 12:12pm
ebajema

Hi Stan, thanks, I noticed that so I am hoping that he sees this Wink MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #178854 21st Mar 2013 12:13pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Hi ebajema,

I’m a member on several L322 forums and I’m afraid that I used to get deluged with PMs so I’ve now had to turn them all off where I can (or where I can’t, like on here, I never get around to reading them) so I apologise for not getting back to you. Obviously I’m happy to try to answer any questions that get posted up on the forum and, that way, there’s also the opportunity for others to respond with the benefit of their experience.

Phil

Post #179072 22nd Mar 2013 1:25pm
ebajema

Hi Phil,

I totally understand, no worries, I will post the PM's here and if you get a chance please have a look at them. If not, no problem Smile

Cheers,

Eugene MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #179074 22nd Mar 2013 1:33pm
ebajema

Hi Phil,

I hope you would be so kind as to provide me with some advice on my SC gearbox. My 3-4 shift problem was still there when the transmission cooler cracked internally. So to resolve that issue, I will be installing the new transmission cooler next week and then I will have to flush the gearbox a few times with ATF (I am not planning to use Lifeguard but something close). Once that is done, I plan to replace the filter/pan and refill the gearbox.

Now through a friend of mine who has contacts in ZF, I was told that the gearbox 3-4 shift problem is likely caused by the mechatronic unit or a clutch. Since the mechantronic unit is relatively easy to remove I plan to take it out when I do the filter change (thanks to your write up, I found out its quite easy ).

From a document I found on the web, I believe that a potential cause is a specific valve, the Delay Accumulator Piston. So I want to remove that and see if there is anything wrong with it. Would you recommend to do that and do you have some tips ??

When our mechanic replaced the oil and filter last time, he said it was quite dark but not too bad. After the filter change the gearbox did fine (apart from the 3-4 shift). This doesn't happen when it is still "cold" (relative over here at 30+ all the time) but only very briefly the 3-4 shift is fine (I mean a few hundred meters).

Now I am not sure whether they filled the gearbox fully when they did the filter/oil change !!

For info, when driving in auto, the 3-4 shift is really bad (it jumps back to 3). When in manual/tiptronic, I just need a little acceleration to make the shift relatively well. With a bit more acceleration it goes pretty well. All the other shifts are fine. Downshifting is no issue.

I would really appreciate your view on this

Kind regards,

Post #179075 22nd Mar 2013 1:34pm
ebajema

Hi Phil,

Do you know of any place that does reflashing of the gearbox ECU, with the ECU out of the car. For obvious reasons I can't take my car to a European dealer and with the current "issues" (thread : Tranmission faults), I want to get the newest software flashed.

I should be able to use the Faultmate but that is back to BBS for checking communications issues. It is back now and seems more stable although I am still hesitant to use it.

Hope you know someone that can help me out. I will be on leave in Aug so perfect time to send the ECU for a much needed upgrade. For sure it has not been done for the last 4 years at least (as since then the car was in Nigeria).

Cheers,

Post #179076 22nd Mar 2013 1:35pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Eugene, Can BBS not supply the latest Firmware and then flash it even with the unit as it is? FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #179101 22nd Mar 2013 3:55pm
ebajema

KP, yes they can, that is not the problem, the software is available for my model, I just need to download it. Before I sent the Faultmate back to them a few months ago, I had some issues with stability of the software on the Faultmate itself with regards to communication. When they sent it back (no faults found but reinstalled the firmware anyway) it seemed a lot more stable but I haven't used it much.

So now I have this dilemma, do I risk it with potentially unstable communication or is there an alternative ???

Reading a bit more on the ZF box since then I am afraid that the mechatronic unit is also involved in the software updates so the only way seems doing it while on the car. I hope Phil can give me some guidance here as well Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!

Post #179102 22nd Mar 2013 4:00pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Ahh some risk Sad

Mine seems fine so far and I'd offer to do it but i don't have MV, just SV Sad

Phil when your back could i please bend your ear for some TD6 info with your faultmate?

Should only take a few minutes of your time but would help me massively in tracking down my fueling fault which is doing my flipping head in!!

PS Sorry Eugene for thread Jacking Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #179512 24th Mar 2013 5:11pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

ebajema wrote:
From a document I found on the web, I believe that a potential cause is a specific valve, the Delay Accumulator Piston

Eugene,

I wondered if the document you mentioned is the Sonnax one that I posted here : http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/post155157.html#155157 or if you’d found a second source that states that the Delay Accumulator Piston might be responsible for your 3-4 shift problem?

I haven’t yet stripped the valve block from my original 6HP26 teardown but I’ll remove this valve and report back on how easy/complicated the process is. I also have a second 6HP26 in my garage (actually from a Jaguar) which I haven’t yet started to disassemble so it may be that I can send you some different parts to try?

Phil

Post #179612 25th Mar 2013 11:41am
ebajema

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply and offer for help, it is very much appreciated. Yes, the document is the same Sonnax document you posted.

It would be great if you could help me, first just with the removal of the Delay Acc. Piston. I am a bit limited in available tooling here, all my "good" stuff is in a storage container in the Netherlands (including my lathe !). So a bit of information on removal is very helpful.

Today I will have a look at where they are on flushing the cooling system and gearbox when I go for lunch. I hope that it won't be too long before we can do the first test drive and see if just flushing out the "milkshake" and replacing it with ATF makes any difference to the 3-4 shift. I don't expect it though.

The filter change (and therefore the mechatronic removal) will probably be in 2 to 3 weeks time.

Cheers,

Post #179613 25th Mar 2013 11:51am
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

Eugene,

I can confirm now that the only ‘special’ tool required to facilitate removal of the delay accumulator piston (which is actually a damper for the MV1 solenoid) is a T27 Torx driver. Shift Valve 1, which is controlled by the same hydraulic circuit and is responsible for initiating the E-clutch engagement for 4th gear, is also worth checking at the same time, especially as this appears to be where your trouble lies.

Click image to enlarge

However, one thing I need to mention is that, in order to extract the retaining clips from the end plugs to release the spools from their bores, the two halves of the valve block have to first be separated.

Click image to enlarge

This, in itself, isn’t a problem but the intermediate sheet (sometimes referred to as the separator plate), which is sandwiched between the upper & lower valve bodies, has a bonded rubber gasket printed on both sides of it that seals the two halves together.

Click image to enlarge

Inevitably some of the rubber gasket is likely to be left on the valve block faces when they are prised apart so, in all likelihood, you’ll need a new intermediate sheet.

Will it be possible to source one in your part of the world? I understand that they’re only available from a ZF parts distributor (though Sonnax also supply them). According to the Sonnax table below, there are several different separator plates available for the 6HP26, depending on the application:

Click image to enlarge

My valve block is the A052/B052 model so it uses the 1068 327 180 plate, and I would guess that yours would be the same, but I suppose it’s possible that there may be variations between European & NAS transmissions for example - unlikely though?

Phil

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #180473 30th Mar 2013 6:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>