Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
campaj1

United Kingdom 
Chrst just give it marble pillars already

Razz

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-rover/ra...r-upmarket

Still, on a more serious note how much further do you guys think they can take the concept?

Post #178276 18th Mar 2013 10:50pm
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I now really believe TATA will separate the Land Rover and Range Rover brands in the near future. All the evidence is there with the 3 model Range Rover line up, assuming of course that you believe there can be more than one Range Rover.

For me, the Evoque is a Freelander in a Frock. It has a rather uncivilised and underpowered 4 pot log burning engine of little provenance. It's a wholly unrefined beast, fine in a Land Rover but not Range Rover material at all. The petrol engine is almost as bad and has to be thrashed hard to make it go.

The Sport, well, where to start? Let's examine the evidence. A Range Rover Sport is about as credible as a Scania 44-Tonne Truck Sport. The Range Rover was never about sportiness, and I still fail to see the attraction of it really. Again, it's actually a Discovery in a Dress. D3 chassis, almost identical driveline, smaller body with less seats so it should cost less than a Disco, except for that "Range" word in the badging.

Trouble is, people are falling for it. Having seen the Evoque, New 2014 Sport and L405 I reckon the new marketing should say "We make one car in 3 sizes".

All a bit Meh really. As for competing with Bentley, well there's a lot of people in Lode Lane who would need a crash course in build quality and how to avoid Redneck Engineering techniques before that would ever happen. Completely different leagues to be frank.

Post #178292 19th Mar 2013 8:55am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I like this bit:

Edwards also outlined what he would expect a baby Land Rover to deliver if the brand was to proceed with model smaller than the Range Rover Evoque.

He said: "It would need to be tough, durable and robust and capable of living in an urban environment in an emerging city like, for example, Lagos."

Land Rover smaller than the Evoque WTF ?

Post #178293 19th Mar 2013 9:01am
wackyjim

Scotland 2011 Range Rover SE TDV8 Santorini Black

^ Shortly to be tested in the streets of Lagos Laughing Laughing

Post #178305 19th Mar 2013 9:40am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

Ebejema has one ordered I believe....

Post #178306 19th Mar 2013 9:46am
campaj1

United Kingdom 

Laughing they know he will stretch it: post-production development proper this is

Post #178307 19th Mar 2013 9:52am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

the new convertible model looks nice.. Laughing

... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #178310 19th Mar 2013 10:09am
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #178340 19th Mar 2013 11:59am
Ajay(UK)

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Indus Silver

mzplcg wrote:
I now really believe TATA will separate the Land Rover and Range Rover brands in the near future. All the evidence is there with the 3 model Range Rover line up, assuming of course that you believe there can be more than one Range Rover.

For me, the Evoque is a Freelander in a Frock. It has a rather uncivilised and underpowered 4 pot log burning engine of little provenance. It's a wholly unrefined beast, fine in a Land Rover but not Range Rover material at all. The petrol engine is almost as bad and has to be thrashed hard to make it go.

The Sport, well, where to start? Let's examine the evidence. A Range Rover Sport is about as credible as a Scania 44-Tonne Truck Sport. The Range Rover was never about sportiness, and I still fail to see the attraction of it really. Again, it's actually a Discovery in a Dress. D3 chassis, almost identical driveline, smaller body with less seats so it should cost less than a Disco, except for that "Range" word in the badging.

Trouble is, people are falling for it. Having seen the Evoque, New 2014 Sport and L405 I reckon the new marketing should say "We make one car in 3 sizes".

All a bit Meh really. As for competing with Bentley, well there's a lot of people in Lode Lane who would need a crash course in build quality and how to avoid Redneck Engineering techniques before that would ever happen. Completely different leagues to be frank.

I don't believe this is a misuse of the "quote" button as I completely agree with the above Thumbs Up Bow down

Andy. 2015 L405 SDV8 Autobiography, Indus Silver with Black Pack.
SWMBO: 22MY Defender 110 HSE X Dynamic, Gondwana Stone.
Gone: 2014 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Firenze Red
Gone: 2006MY Java Black TD6 Autobiography
Gone: 2013 Jaguar XKR Convertible, Italian Racing Red with Ivory Seats
Gone: 2010MY Stornoway Grey TDV8 Vogue SE with RSE
Gone: 2008 Disco 3 HSE, Hybrid Tv + Retro-fit RSE System & DVD
Gone: 2003 Epsom Green 4.4i Vogue, LPG, Mk4 Nav, BMW Bluetooth Phone, Hybrid Tv Tuner,

Post #178343 19th Mar 2013 12:10pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

TATA did separate the brands into LAND ROVER & RANGE ROVER for the launch of the Evoque and spent a fortune changing badges and showrooms and literature etc... After a many months they decided it was a mistake and have now just reverted to LAND ROVER as the only brand with Range Rovers now having green Land Rover badges.

Last edited by Gazellio @ Prestige Cars on 19th Mar 2013 12:15pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #178345 19th Mar 2013 12:14pm
campaj1

United Kingdom 

Its a bit s Censored t, for sure. Question is, what is the elegant successor to the L322 and FFRRs of old? not the L405 fo' sho'... might be Disco 4 time, but that will be swapped for some plastichrome successor too, no doubt.

All a little concerning.

Post #178346 19th Mar 2013 12:15pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

Times change and the Range Rover sub brand is moving to make maximum profits.

Having test driven the L405, I'm not a great fan although the looks are starting to grow on me in some of the more interesting colours. (like red)

The Sport I don't get, but they sell loads judging by the number I see.
Never saw the point when the Discovery was cheaper and more practical, but with the new Sport being based on the L405 is no longer a Disco in a dress.

Words fail me about the Evoque, almost.
I don't like the looks (especially the rear) the basic engines or the fact that they have made a small 4x4 with such terrible fuel economy.
But again there are loads of them about. I probably see nearly a dozen every day in my local area. Exclusive my ass!

Although I am a Land Rover and Range Rover fan I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I'm no longer the target market. Or that important to the company.
The big money is in China, Russia etc... bling and certain styling sells.
It's sad that there is no longer a Range Rover product on sale that I would actually buy, but it doesn't matter because Range Rovers will sell very well in these other markets and Land Rover as a company will make big profits.

We have to face facts that as UK enthusiasts we are not really that important.
And we won't be allowed to stand in the way of the company being a success by focusing on what other countries (and people from Essex) want.

Post #178371 19th Mar 2013 1:28pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

For those that love the L322 there are certainly plenty of them and should be for some time to come... Thumbs Up

PS: About 35,000 Vogue & Vogue SE plus all non Vogue HSE/AB etc

Post #178373 19th Mar 2013 1:33pm
campaj1

United Kingdom 

Fox wrote:
Times change and the Range Rover sub brand is moving to make maximum profits.

Having test driven the L405, I'm not a great fan although the looks are starting to grow on me in some of the more interesting colours. (like red)

The Sport I don't get, but they sell loads judging by the number I see.
Never saw the point when the Discovery was cheaper and more practical, but with the new Sport being based on the L405 is no longer a Disco in a dress.

Words fail me about the Evoque, almost.
I don't like the looks (especially the rear) the basic engines or the fact that they have made a small 4x4 with such terrible fuel economy.
But again there are loads of them about. I probably see nearly a dozen every day in my local area. Exclusive my ass!

Although I am a Land Rover and Range Rover fan I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I'm no longer the target market. Or that important to the company.
The big money is in China, Russia etc... bling and certain styling sells.
It's sad that there is no longer a Range Rover product on sale that I would actually buy, but it doesn't matter because Range Rovers will sell very well in these other markets and Land Rover as a company will make big profits.

We have to face facts that as UK enthusiasts we are not really that important.
And we won't be allowed to stand in the way of the company being a success by focusing on what other countries (and people from Essex) want.

Totally agree with all this, but what we tend to forget is that L322 was an unprecedented success in the foreign markets as well as at home, and I severely doubt that L405 will gain any new customers. Range Rover people are, and remain, RR people. LR only stands to lose out on this one, as the UK market is still potentially very lucrative for them, and I have heard 100 negative comments for every positive one. It just doesn't look right. I saw one on the local high street for the Boxing Day hunt meet, and it just looked absurd amongst the Barbours and Labradors. And this isn't just some misty eyed warbling about perceptions of country life either, for the lifestyle behind the product has been a vital factor in the success of the Range Rover, not just at home but abroad, as the Americans buy into the whole country lifestyle ideal too. It looks good in the BRIC economies, but it is short sighted to go for broke there. The Range Rover has always stood out for customers worldwide as being of a different mould to other SUVs, but no longer. And as the trinketry increases, so the brand dies long term. Spen King called it "selling your birthright". Quite.

Post #178410 19th Mar 2013 4:21pm
Mizengeo

United Kingdom 

In the interests of a balanced debate....

L405 can't be all bad, order books seem to be pretty full despite no discounts available on the hiked price.

Long story behind me deciding to buy an L405 but long story short my Disco 3 is probably the best car I have owned - sure the Porsche was faster and the lotus's were fun but in terms of hauling a family in reasonable comfort with loads of space and having the confidence it won't crumble on the first speed hump or pothole (let alone snow in the Swiss Alps) then there has been no better. At nearly 7 years old I figured it was time for a change before any reliability issues set in (I figure the main family car being 7 years old might be pushing my luck). I have been so impressed with the Disco (and so underwhelmed with the Mercedes ML before it) that the next car had to be from the Land Rover stable.

So the choices - A Disco 4? Fancied a change - liked the idea of the ruggedness and comfort so looked at Range Rovers. Sport? Not a range rover I hear you cry but a very comfortable place to be - didn't buy for 2 reasons; two small in the back (leg room) and a new model coming out. Evoke is over styled and fully loaded is pretty expensive (for a 4 pot) and actually the finish falls way short of a FF. That left the L322 - started looking for bargains (£7.5k discounts on new vogue) and went to look at one. On the way there I pointed one out to my wife who thought it looked dated (especially from the back) - she thought it was too boxy (she didn't like the look of the Disco 3 much either). When we got to the dealer there was an L405 parked next to a L322 and my first reaction was the L322 looked dated. We had a look inside both - I was a bit disappointed with the L322 - finish was brilliant but it was all angular and upright and a bit over fussy. My budget was £50k (plus maybe another £10k if I found the perfect new L322) - I am now spending over £75k on a L405. Why? Because it HAD to be Land Rover and I couldn't bring myself to buy the old model FF when the new one was so much better in my eyes. It is tougher and better off road than I will ever need, it looks modern, has a better finish inside and is faster AND more economical.

Not for everyone I agree but for me lack of anything else goading me to buy it pushed me into the arms (seats) of an L405. For me and evidently many others it is the perfect car. Geoff

Post #178564 19th Mar 2013 11:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>