Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > My FFRR is useless offroad
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
mikef

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver
My FFRR is useless offroad

I was driving down a narrow road today in my FFRR when I came across a large truck cleaning out a drain and blocking the road. No problem, I thought, my FFRR is designed to go offroad so I flicked the terrain response to Mud/Ruts and headed off onto the grass verge. Big mistake. Within a couple of yards, all the wheels were spinning uselessly and the lorry driver was laughing his head taking photos of me on his mobile phone. What did I do wrong?
PS my car has Conti Crosscontact tyres fitted. I take it these are useless on grass/mud?

Post #178279 18th Mar 2013 11:57pm
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green
Re: My FFRR is useless offroad

mikef wrote:

PS my car has Conti Crosscontact tyres fitted. I take it these are useless on grass/mud?

Clearly! Are they UHPs?

Wet muddy grass is great for getting stuck though - begs the question why Land Rover bother engineering Terrain Response etc. and then fit such road-biased tyres.

Post #178280 19th Mar 2013 12:28am
allycraven

Scotland 

Terrain response is only a driver aid, not a magical tool to overcome the laws of friction...all it does is desensitise throttle input to try to reduce the chances of wheelspin with a heavy right foot.

Slick road tires +too much throttle = no progress.

Low range and let it crawl on idle is about your only chance to get going again with your pride left intact... '08 Audi S6 Avant 5.2 V10 with Milltek non-resonated. Vrrrrrrmmmmmph
'59 Ford Kuga Diesel (boring but AWD and 40mpg...)
2007 (07) Subaru Forester XTen 2.5 Turbo. (Roundabouts are fun again!)
2007 (07) 4.4 V8 Vogue (gone)

Post #178282 19th Mar 2013 12:43am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

allycraven wrote:
all it does is desensitise throttle input to try to reduce the chances of wheelspin with a heavy right foot

That most certainly isn't all that it does (even the handbook will tell you that), but the point remains that it's pretty silly engineering loads of electronic aids like Terrain Response and traction control when all they end up doing is masking the ineffectiveness of the standard tyres in most conditions.

It's pretty obvious how important tyres are to progress if you ever drive off-road.

Post #178284 19th Mar 2013 12:58am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

I've said it for a long time but te michelins are useless unless your on Tarmac or gravel.

For grass and mud the only option you have is to keep some speed up to effectively stop the car digging in.

The opinion above is my own based on my own experience of situations and tyre combos. FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #178285 19th Mar 2013 1:30am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey
Re: My FFRR is useless offroad

mikef wrote:
I was driving down a narrow road today in my FFRR when I came across a large truck cleaning out a drain and blocking the road. No problem, I thought, my FFRR is designed to go offroad so I flicked the terrain response to Mud/Ruts and headed off onto the grass verge. Big mistake. Within a couple of yards, all the wheels were spinning uselessly and the lorry driver was laughing his head taking photos of me on his mobile phone. What did I do wrong?

OK. You see a part of the problem? The fact you have Grass/Gravel/Snow on the TR, yet you chose Mud/Ruts for a grass verge. That won't have helped.

However, even gadgets like TR cannot overcome the laws of physics. It's a great vehicle but has no magical or divine powers. (except the power to empty your wallet quicker than a Censored -off divorcee)

The fact you're asking what you did wrong suggests you don't know the capabilities of the car. Why not book a day at LR Experience and get some proper tuition and advice form the people who know these vehicles more intimately than they know their spouses ??? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Oh and it's a load of fun too.

Post #178290 19th Mar 2013 8:36am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

a tool is only as good as the person who is using it Mike and it does sound like your inexperience
and the wet grass both contributed to this failure..
wet grass is notoriously hard to drive on and even the best get stuck...its all a learning curve.. Wink ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #178308 19th Mar 2013 9:57am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

How did you finally get off the grass?

Post #178312 19th Mar 2013 10:27am
mikef

Thanks for the replies. I have already done a L-R experience day (in a Defender) but no I am not an experienced offroader so probably another experience day in a FFRR would be a good idea. However I am an experienced road driver and I'm not stupid enough just to sit on the grass revving the engine in the hope of getting traction. I did try very gently feeding the throttle in but the wheels started spinning immediately. Luckily the grass verge sloped back down to the road gently so I was able to just about reverse off. With regard to the TR, is muddy grass Grass/Gravel/Snow or Mud/Ruts? Would I have been better using the former?
IMHO, the problem is the tyres. I'm no expert but the Conti Crosscontact UHPs look very much like standard road tyres to me. Maybe I should be asking this on the Tyre forum but is there one tyre out there for the FFRR that gives reasonable traction in mud and snow with acceptable road manners? I have been fitting winter tyres to previous vehicles I've owned because we live up a long narrow road high up in the Chilterns which doesn't get gritted and therefore snow/ice is often a problem in winter. One reason for buying the FFRR was the hope that it could be fitted with one set of tyres that worked all year round

Post #178323 19th Mar 2013 11:11am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

As another owner that lives in the Chilterns I run my Range Rovers with Winter Tyres all year round. I am a big fan of the Kuhmo KC's and Nokian WR3. Great all year round grip and not bad off road either. Otherwise Goodyear Wranglers will work better than the IMHO awful Cross Contacts.

Post #178331 19th Mar 2013 11:31am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

My experience of tyres is that the Pirelli Scorpion Mud & Snow (M&S) would be the ideal tyre combination for you, either those or a decent all-terrain such as the General AT2.

I use Scorpions pretty much exclusively and have no real issues. Like you I live on an un-metalled road and winter is interesting sometimes. She's not let me down yet though.

the bonus I find with Scorpions though is that it is a really good road tyre as well. Lower noise than all-terrains at motorway speeds.

Post #178332 19th Mar 2013 11:37am
mikef

Gazellio @ Prestige Cars wrote:
As another owner that lives in the Chilterns I run my Range Rovers with Winter Tyres all year round. I am a big fan of the Kuhmo KC's and Nokian WR3. Great all year round grip and not bad off road either. Otherwise Goodyear Wranglers will work better than the IMHO awful Cross Contacts.

Gazellio, which one of those 3 would you recommend as the best? I read good things about Vredesteins on this forum too. What do you think?

Post #178333 19th Mar 2013 11:38am
Nick Ground

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Indus Silver

MikeF you have just found out the embarrassing way that of all the surfaces we drive on that wet grass is pretty much (maybe with the exception of black ice) the toughest surface. Just look at any horsey event with 4x4s sitting spinning in the paddocks. I recall as a rookie off roader, some 25 years ago, attending an off road tuition session. We assembled at the bottom of a grassy slope/hill and the instructor challenged us to get to the top and he would refund our money! Needless to say he kept the fee. It was hoot watching failed hill climbs, Defenders, RRs et all spinning back down. ATs/MTs etc may be better but only if they can break the surface of the grass and dig in. It seems that wet grass generates a lovely low friction mud. 2019 D5 HSE Lux SDV6 Indus
55 D3 SE
98 MX5 1.8 RS
gone 17 older variants of FFRR

Post #178339 19th Mar 2013 11:57am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

mikef wrote:

Gazellio, which one of those 3 would you recommend as the best? I read good things about Vredesteins on this forum too. What do you think?

I like Vreds but they are not bias towards offroad in any way. The reason I praise the Nokians is that apart from being a terrific Winter they have a decent tread as well. Unfortunately they do not come in 20" RR size but they do in 19". The great value Kuhmo KC can be sourced in 20".

If price no option then the Pirelli Mud & Snow or even Goodyear Wranglers if lower temperature tyre not required.

Post #178344 19th Mar 2013 12:11pm
mikef

I like Vreds but they are not bias towards offroad in any way. The reason I praise the Nokians is that apart from being a terrific Winter they have a decent tread as well. Unfortunately they do not come in 20" RR size but they do in 19". The great value Kuhmo KC can be sourced in 20".

If price no option then the Pirelli Mud & Snow or even Goodyear Wranglers if lower temperature tyre not required.

20" does seem to be a problem. Pirelli dont seem to do a 20" M & S tyre. I take it the Scorpion Zero is very much a road biased tyre like the Conti?

Post #178348 19th Mar 2013 12:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>