Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > In Car Electronics (L322) > stock audio to aftermarket how I did it!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
SATVC

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
stock audio to aftermarket how I did it!

After suffering with he usuall water ingress problems I decided to change my whole infotainment system to a high quality aftermarket system.
My plan was quite simple, replace everything.
First off I did a fair bit of homework to find out exactly what each unit in the rear quarter did and if I could remove everything without disturbing the everyday running of the car? The most I would lose was control over the dash computer, clock, mpg, timers,etc. these i could live without for a better quality sound system! I later found that by disconnecting the battery or removing the correct fuse and refitting at exactly 12 o'clock the the analogue clock would keep perfect time.(it resets to 12 when power is re connected)

The next bit of homework involve which aftermarket items I needed to buy this included:
Tools:
Socket set, torx bit set ,trim removing tool, various screwdrivers, wire crimps and connectors
Plyers, jigsaw, insulating tape, cable ties, pencil, 1/2 inch sheet of mdf, carpet and carpet adhesive,

Click image to enlarge

Audio:
Double din head unit, 4 channel amp, mono amp, subwoofer in box, 3 way component speaker, 2 wat component speakers, amp wiring kit (4 gauge), 3x RCA phono leads 5 meters, 7 meter multicore cable, E39 double din fascia plate,E39 to iso aerial adaptor, 5 meter iso aerial extension, E39 stereo to iso converter plug (flat pins) with steering wheel controls and correct patch lead for headunit.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Fitting the head unit:
Click image to enlarge

YouTube came in handy to see how to remove the dash top and remove the housing that the screen sits in. Once the original screen was removed the task of cutting and modifying the Surrounding plastic to make the new unit fit,
(pic to come)
I cut an mdf panel the same size as the fascia then attached this to the housing,the double din unit is held by this mdf and screwed to the plastics of the housing for further stability
(pic to come)
The E39 fascia was then glued to the mdf for the factory look.
The next job was to run all the cables I required from the area behind the headunit to the rear quarter where the amps will be mounted, these included the iso plugs for the head unit, rca phono leads,ipod cable, aerial extension and steering controls box, removal of the glovebox, front seats, side sils and carpet was required to rn he cables in factory location,
The E39 to iso stereo convertor was cut in half, leaving the iso end with the steering wheel adaptor behind the headunit location I extended all the wires using a multicore cable all the way the rear quarter, this is where I found the the plug that would normally plug into the back of a stock stereo. I re connected the cut off E39 plug to my multicore and pluged this into the stock plug that would usually connect to the bm54 amp, this plug provides everything for the new headunit inc, power illumination,steering wheel controls etc
Click image to enlarge

The E39 aerial adaptor was also used, I found the rr aerial and plugged into the connector this then plugged into the extension which also ran to the headunit,
Click image to enlarge

The 3x RCA phono leads were also run for signal to the amps, the amplifier power cable was a bit tricky trying to find a good route through the fire wall, I found just behind the battery a large grommet that I slit a hole in and fed the power cable, luckily it dropped down behind the glovebox area and I run it straight back to the rear quarter,
Mounting the amps wasn't to much of an issue once all the original units were removed, i grounded the amps on the original floor mounting for the dsp, i sanded the paint around the thread for a better connection, I made up a mdf board that fitted the space where the original units and subwoofer once lived and covered it in original factory look carpet,
Click image to enlarge
to this board I mounted the amps, and power distribution block and ran the new speaker wires from the amp to a terminal block, this would make life easer when the door speakers were wired'
I also fitted a ground loop isolator, from past installs this combats and interference noise and whines!
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Fitting the new speakers in the doors was quite straight forward, I had to make mdf spacers for the new speakers, all I did was traced round the removed speakers, I mounted the new crossover units in a place that wouldn't obstruct the door cards refitting, the tweeter and mid range speakers were mounted in the original locations in the a pillar and on the door card itself!
Click image to enlarge

I found that I couldn't run new speaker wire through the door grommet as it was a plug rather than a hole! So I connected the input of the crossover to the original door woofer speaker wire, I then found the same speaker cable on the inside of the door and connected the new speaker wire from the new amp to that!
Click image to enlarge

I found this wiring diagram on this forum which helped with finding the correct wires
Click image to enlarge

I'm still not quite finished but will add to this thread as I go, hope it helps

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #179455 24th Mar 2013 11:32am
BrianC

Scotland 

Looks a bit like Something out of max power. Smile
It's good that people have the balls to take on a job like this and prove it can be done. Not my cup of tea but well done on the installation Thumbs Up

Post #179466 24th Mar 2013 12:09pm
SATVC

Max power! Lol Laughing

Thumbs Up

Post #179467 24th Mar 2013 12:11pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Wow, some undertaking on a Vogue... Have done it once on a customer car a few years ago...

Brian, i used to love Max Power 20+ yrs ago Whistle Whistle Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #179468 24th Mar 2013 12:14pm
SATVC

The quality of the system is far greater than stock, the nav is good quality and up to date, I now have full iPhone/iPod usage and hands free, decent volume, Internet radio, YouTube, videos, etc the list is endless!!

For 2004 the stock system was prehistoric!!

Post #179470 24th Mar 2013 12:18pm
BrianC

Scotland 

I loved max power/fast car etc as well Thumbs Up

Post #179471 24th Mar 2013 12:44pm
Bushy513

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Monte Carlo Blue

well done, are you happy with it? what was the total cost of this system? I have a 2003 vogue that could use some love. Bushy

2003 RR Vogue Monté Carlo Blue

Post #182490 11th Apr 2013 11:20pm
SATVC

Overall total cost was around £800 but after selling the original RR equiptmemt ie: screen, Lear amp, bm54, sat nav and sub units my total out lay was about £200 Thumbs Up !
I'm defo happy with it! Although its taken some time to set up all the equalisation properly!!

Post #182503 12th Apr 2013 7:40am
Bushy513

Was yours a non touch screen vogue before? Using ibus?

I'm really struggling to find equipment I can use to upgrade my FF Bushy

Post #183503 18th Apr 2013 9:26am
SATVC

Yep. Non touch screen!

Post #183526 18th Apr 2013 12:24pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Well, I've bitten the bullet, getting my audio upgraded tomorrow, just a double din pioneer headunit just now. With full iphone 5 integration as well (£200 for cables Shocked ) Will report in tomorow.

Post #183527 18th Apr 2013 12:36pm
SATVC

Sounds good, money well spent IMO !!!

Look ok aslong as they use the correct surround and modify the housing properly!
The plastic below the stereo that sits on the hot air pipes also needs to be trimmed so the new unit sits properly !!
Which headunit are you getting!

Post #183528 18th Apr 2013 12:39pm
Bushy513

Thanks mate Bushy

Post #183546 18th Apr 2013 1:57pm
Mr Tee

Scotland 

AHV X2500BT, thought about getting DAB, but I can stream through phone, so a few pennies saved + no need for a dab aerial. Not doing it myself, installer has worder on the ffrr before so knows what the crack is (fingers crossed).

Post #183549 18th Apr 2013 2:20pm
SATVC

He'll have to make a fascia out of 1/2" MDF for the headunit to sit in then the plastic fascia fits over the top for looks!

Post #183564 18th Apr 2013 3:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>