Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > brakes !!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
simonmanx

Isle Of Man 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Java Black
brakes !!!!

Im ready for new discs and pads all four corners i have seen some on ebay for around £70 an axle but has anyone got them off there or does anyone know of any tried and tested replacement makes of disc or pads??or best place to get them Thumbs Up

Post #15243 21st Mar 2010 4:42pm
speedymarktd6

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

mine were boxed as britpart but i got them from mm4x4 Thumbs Up onto no6 Range Rover

Everyone needs a hobby

Post #15256 21st Mar 2010 6:42pm
delamo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

Hello Simon - I purchased a set of rear pads and discs for my 2007my TDV8 from Autopost (via eBay) for £65 inc delivery and replaced them myself. (Mintex Pads - not sure about the discs) I have covered about 1000 miles since and they work fine.

There has been a little brake squeaking occasionally and the hub part of the discs have gone quite rusty in comparison to the fronts unfortunatly - however, if you consider the saving should I had LR do it for me I think its worth doing.

(When I have the time - I will wire brush and paint a little Kurust on the hubs to see if that helps prevent the orange furry crust from returning)

If you know your way around a box of tools it should only take 30 -45 mins per wheel - remember your brake cleaner and a splodge of coppergrease in the appropriate areas when fitting the new bits and you'll have saved yourself a fair whack.

Also - remember that the rears also have handbrake shoes inside the hubs - so you may need them also!

Post #15260 21st Mar 2010 7:16pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I wanted to do the same on my TD6 last year, but I just couldn't get the damned calliper bolts undone, I needed the car on ramps so I could use something long enough to get enough torque on the bolts. I think for simplicity and safety sakes, buy the parts on-line, get a local indy (doesn't have to know RR's) to do the grease monkey work, I think they charged me about £50 to fit the parts.

It was still a HUGE saving over the dealer prices. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #15262 21st Mar 2010 7:20pm
alexbartman

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

sorry to hijack your thread - but I need to replace the brakes all round on my 2007 TDV8....I am a novice in terms of oily bits (no problem with electrical or interior)...but I am up for the challenge (I think)
Does anyone know of any online instructions I can have a look at for trying to do it myself???

Thanks
Alex

Post #15289 22nd Mar 2010 7:52am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I bought mine off eBay as well (autopost) and they're fine. I wish I'd known the hubs were going to rust - I'd have painted them first! 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #15354 22nd Mar 2010 5:15pm
Dixy

2016 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Loire Blue

RRUK wrote:
I wanted to do the same on my TD6 last year, but I just couldn't get the damned calliper bolts undone, I needed the car on ramps so I could use something long enough to get enough torque on the bolts. I think for simplicity and safety sakes, buy the parts on-line, get a local indy (doesn't have to know RR's) to do the grease monkey work, I think they charged me about £50 to fit the parts.

It was still a HUGE saving over the dealer prices.

I did mine this evening, if you can not figure it out just from looking at it then probably best paying someone competent.
All I have to do now is get the check pads light to go out. letters not necessarily in the right order

Post #16252 7th Apr 2010 7:37pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

How long do peoples pads and discs last?

My Td6 will be hitting 60k miles in a month or two and I'm due for the first change of front pads from new.

Will I need discs too?

Post #16253 7th Apr 2010 7:56pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

You need to check them, there's no hard and fast rule but if they've never been replaced then its probably worth it. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #16259 7th Apr 2010 8:13pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Fox wrote:

My Td6 will be hitting 60k miles in a month or two and I'm due for the first change of front pads from new.

Will I need discs too?

If they are original OEM my LR main-agent reckons on 2 sets of pads to each set of discs. I have had 3 sets in 50k miles on the front of one of my FFRR, mind you they are used to tow and off road use as well - you have done blooming well to get 60k!

Post #16264 7th Apr 2010 9:22pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

Yes, I don't use the brakes very often... Shocked

Post #16276 8th Apr 2010 7:39am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Fox wrote:

To work out how long your brakes will last, you need to work out your “Brake Application Time” (Seconds, minutes, hours) and the “Brake Pressure” (Light = 1, Med = 2, Heavy 3) multiplier. This is of course assuming you are using OEM spec pads, otherwise you also need to factor in “Friction Material Density” (Soft -1, OEM 1 , Hard 2)

Very simply put:

(Brake Application Time x Brake Pressure) x Friction Material Density : (X x Y) x W = How long your pads will last.

Simples

To work out how long the discs will last is much more complicated as you need to factor in pie, rotational distance, heat dissipation, surface adhesion and cast quality.

Not so Simples

Thumbs Up 

Post #16279 8th Apr 2010 8:50am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Shocked in simple terms I think after reading all that, Dan means it depends how much you use them Thumbs Up

Post #16280 8th Apr 2010 9:14am
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

dan_uk_1984 wrote:
Fox wrote:

To work out how long your brakes will last, you need to work out your “Brake Application Time” (Seconds, minutes, hours) and the “Brake Pressure” (Light = 1, Med = 2, Heavy 3) multiplier. This is of course assuming you are using OEM spec pads, otherwise you also need to factor in “Friction Material Density” (Soft -1, OEM 1 , Hard 2)

Very simply put:

(Brake Application Time x Brake Pressure) x Friction Material Density : (X x Y) x W = How long your pads will last.

Simples

To work out how long the discs will last is much more complicated as you need to factor in pie, rotational distance, heat dissipation, surface adhesion and cast quality.

Not so Simples

Thumbs Up

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

You forgot to factor in the temp and height above sea level Laughing

Post #16310 8th Apr 2010 3:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1