Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > LPG > lpg and insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Elduke

Scotland 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
lpg and insurance

Sorry if this has been covered before but Iam in the process of buying a lpg converted 2004 vogue and have a couple of questions. Firstly it doesnt appear to have been registered as lpg on the v5 as online checks just say petrol as type of fuel. Secondly the owner doesnt think he has an lpg certificate for the installation as it was done before he bought it.

So is it simple enough to register it on the v5 for lpg when we send away the logbook for change of ownership? Also are my insurance company likely to want to see a certificate for the lpg installation and if so where can these be obtained? Many thanks for any help Thumbs Up

Post #190956 28th May 2013 2:26pm
dirtyharry

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

I'm pretty sure you have to produce the original installation certificate as proof for the DVLA to amend the V5. To be honest, mine wasn't changed from petrol by the previous owner either, and as it only makes £10 difference in the car tax, I haven't bothered changing it.

As far as insurance is concerned, that all depends who you insure with. I'm with 1st Central and they weren't interested in seeing a certificate. However, if you have to produce one, take the vehicle to an approved LPG installer and ask them to carry out an inspection and issue a certificate - it'll cost about £100 and that's what I did on my old Series 2 a few years back. Insurance company were happy with it Thumbs Up Cheers

Greg

Go ahead punk, make my day........

Previous vehicles:-
Far too many to list (in excess of 45!)

Post #190960 28th May 2013 2:52pm
Elduke

Thats interesting thanks for that Thumbs Up So legally it doesnt need to be down as lpg on the v5 as long as your insurance company knows about it?

Iam with esure and will hopefully be able to transfer the insurance from my old car but Ive a feeling they may want to see a certificate.

At this stage Iam just checking to make sure the v5 status and lack of certificate isnt going to be a deal breaker for the sale to go through. The seller has had the car for quite a few years with the lpg installed and has metioned that he has had it serviced. If I need to spend £100 to keep the insurance company happy Id be fine with that.

Post #190965 28th May 2013 3:17pm
dirtyharry

Yep - as long as the insurance company know you'll be ok. I'm on my fourth LPG vehicle and none of them have ever had their V5s amended.

I've always used Moneysupermarket.com to get the best insurance deal and when you put your details in there's an option to add LPG as a "Modification" to the vehicle. That helps weed out the companies that won't insure you, leaving you with a list of quotes from insurers that will. I too have a feeling Esure will want to see a certificate.

If you bank on it costing you c.£100-£125 to get a certificate done, maybe use that as a negotiating tool Wink Cheers

Greg

Go ahead punk, make my day........

Previous vehicles:-
Far too many to list (in excess of 45!)

Post #190969 28th May 2013 3:29pm
dave699

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I've only ever had to send in the certificate once.
Also might be interesting for you to know that at the time 'Elephant' didn't charge anything extra.
Some of the insurers required an extra premium, most were around £25 on top of your standard policy.
Some would not insure an LPG conversion at all.
This was a few years back now so things may have changed a bit. 
Had it, loved it!
2007 Vogue SE TDV8
Stornoway Grey / Ivory
Climatic Seats, RSE, AFS, Deployable steps, iPod kit.

Post #190978 28th May 2013 4:00pm
Elduke

Cheers for that guys Ive given them a call and the only thing they asked was it lpga approved. I said no and they came back with the quote to transfer as Iam about halfway through my current car policy. I then asked what if it was lpga approved and they came back with the quote at £45 less. This would suggest it might be worth getting the system lpga approved if possible as it might make quite a difference on a quote for a full year.

They also said they would only ask for a certificate in the event of any claim. All in Iam happy to pay the bit extra just now to get me going then look into getting it approved later if needed.

Post #190993 28th May 2013 5:03pm
DTaylor

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Chawton White

im with esure , i asked to add lpg to the quote, they came back and added it, it had no price difference and didnt require a certificate.

Post #190998 28th May 2013 5:42pm
daz62

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Oslo Blue

Admiral here same as previous poster, no increase, no certificate required. 03 4.4 V8 petrol / lpg. 1st of many hopefully. I love my Rangie

Post #191004 28th May 2013 6:10pm
Rob2529

I was with Aviva and Admiral and neither wanted a cert. mine had a LPGA cert but the V5 still showed petrol. Didn't see the point for£10 reduction in road tax. Not sure how the channel tunnel work it but might make it more usable for the next owner?? Aviva saw it as a now performance enhancing mod and didn't charge a penny more. [img]http://www.fuelly.com/driver/rob2529/range-rover[img/]
04, 4.4V8, Vogue Oslo Blue with LPG.
"You can sleep in your car, BUT you can't race your house!!!!"

If something can't be fixed with a hammer....... You have yourself an electrical fault!

Post #191009 28th May 2013 7:07pm
JW911

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zermatt Silver

You won't get a certificate these days. It's all on a computer database. I'll be damned if I can remember the url for it though.

When you find it, type in the reg and if your car has a certified installation, it will come up. 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster
2007 3.6 TDV8 Vogue - gone!
2003 V8 HSE (LPG) - gone!
2018 F-Pace 25t Portfolio
1974 LR Series III Lightweight FFR
2014 BMW 640i Gran Coupe

Post #191012 28th May 2013 7:12pm
longbelly

England 

[]

http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/ Thumbs Up 2004 Lotus Elise S2 111S
2001 Ford Focus Estate

Post #191476 31st May 2013 5:15pm