Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Putting my FullFat in a container
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red
Putting my FullFat in a container

Gentlemen suggestions please ; in a weeks time I will load my RR in to a container to take it with me to Australia and I'm not sure how to approach it , should I use my IID Tool to deflate the suspension to make it easier to tie down or would it be better to strap the wheels a La rescue truck method . What would putting it in delivery mode achieve ?
And any thing else you might think of . Thumbs Up 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #191168 29th May 2013 2:19pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

There is a special transport or delivery mode that you can activate with the Faultmate so I assume the IID can do the same (as the mode is in the car ECUs). It lowers the car to the bump stops, making the suspension very "rigid". You'd want as little sway of the car as possible !!.

The chassis has 4 tie down points (not the tow eyes !!) for this purpose (and car transporters) as well. The owners manual shows where they are.

The transport mode also reduces the maximum driving speed to something like 25 kph. That is probably mainly due to the lack of suspension but acts as an effective anti-hooning and theft measure as well Smile

Considering the width of the car, make sure it is absolutely in the middle so there is no risk of sway damaging the car (shouldn't if it is strapped down properly) and it allows the persons accessing the tie-down straps in the back of the container to get out without crawling over the car.

Furthermore, the wheels should be sitting in heavy wooden blocks that are hammered into the floor on the front and rear of all wheels.

The tie-down straps should be very heavy, strong, in top condition and installed in a cross pattern. So form the left side of the car to the "right" side of the container. And they should be pulling "away" from the car as much as possible to have the maximum effect. If possible double up on straps so in case one breaks the second is still there.

Don't use the tow truck tie down method around the tyres/wheels !! It allows too much movement on the car body and the forces on the wheels are quite high. You could use this method as backup but be careful how you install the straps. Don't use the "spokes", they have sharpish edges and may not be able to hold the car in heavy seas (the wheels should be OK but still not great). Better is to use the suspension arms or subframe as additional securing points or back-up, not as main method IMHO.

Container transport (well any sea transport) is subject to high cyclic forces due to the vessel motions. The higher the container is on the vessel (and you don't have control over that), the bigger the movements and accelerations and decelerations are. The cyclic nature can work a lot of things loose even when the forces are not that high. The suspension and tyre flex are not helping there Sad

We do a lot of container transport in our industry and the amount of damage we have seen after bad securing of the load is scary. Millions of equipment get "screwed" every year due to insufficient securing inside containers.

Make sure the company that is arranging the transport really know what they are doing, otherwise you could be heartbroken when the container opens in Oz.

Having said that, I have transported my GMC Van, plus motorbikes to Perth from Rotterdam and back without issues by the way. The securing was done by myself on the return trip and by a top moving company on the trip to Oz. The GMC had air springs at the back (the leaf springs were a bit overloaded with the massive LPG tanks and my woodwork campervan efforts) and they were deflated prior to securing the van. I also installed wooden blocks underneath the chassis and suspension to ensure that there was no sway and in case the tyres deflated, there would still be tension on the straps. I may have gone a bit over the top on straps Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #191176 29th May 2013 4:45pm
Joe90

England 

^^^ Top post ebajema Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #191184 29th May 2013 6:24pm
Contraband

Scotland 

I have no intentions of shipping a car anywhere, but that was a fascinating read.. Thumbs Up Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #191187 29th May 2013 6:43pm
JOKER

Scotland 

Nice write up ebajema Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Axle …… Oz ya Jammy Censored Wink

Post #191189 29th May 2013 7:18pm
axle

ebajema Thumbs Up awesome mate ,ripper write up Bow down 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.

Post #191191 29th May 2013 7:38pm
Katash

England 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Isn't there a switch near the pedals that puts it into 'transport mode'?

Post #191197 29th May 2013 8:16pm
Googsy

Ireland 2008 Range Rover HSE TDV8 Java Black

It makes me want to buy a container top post Eb. Present :2008 TDV8 HSE
Gone Audi A5 2.7TDI
Gone Discovery 3 HSE
Gone Mercedes CLK
Gone Range Rover 2.5 DSE

Post #191211 29th May 2013 9:03pm
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Make sure the car is totally clean inside and out as well as it could be at sea for a good few weeks in some hot an cold temps. See if you can get it detailed first to ensure the paintwork is totally sealed and then give it a good hose down at the otherwise to wash the salt residue off as it can easily get into containers and settle on paintwork and in nooks and crannies Sad

Tyres would be best at towing pressure and that tyre shine stuff on the walls and inside walls as well.

Leave it in low range as well to avoid them going to crazy with it and maybe disconnect the plug behind the low range switch Wink and leave a sign not too use the handbrake. The straps should do the job properly.

Keep the fuel level low in it as well this will help keep unethered weight from stressing the straps too much.

Do a service on it as well when you get it to the otherside.

How much spare space do you have in the container as I'm sure some oz members would maybe ask for some parts if possible and I know aussiefrogs often ask for big car parts and that could help bring shipping cost down as well.

Don't forget to take some service items with you, brake pads and discs, filters...

Using the iid disable the alarm sounder if possible and be ready with jump leads at the other end as we know what ff's are like with batteries Wink FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #191216 29th May 2013 9:19pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Not much you can add to that post.

I have a Jeep that i tow on a trailer - the first time out, I strapped all the wheels down and just for good luck, I also strapped down the axles.

I was amazed how much the body moved around - it was quite scary - so next time out I strapped the body down as well and it made a significant difference.

For the price of the straps, I'd be using as ,many as possible

Post #191217 29th May 2013 9:21pm
ebajema

New Zealand 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

My pleasure. I hope that in the not too distant future my FFRR can also sail its way to an exciting new location in a container Smile MY 2010 5.0 SC Galway green and sand interior!!
Have the Faultmate MSV2 Extreme to be tinkering with the settings etc. !!

Post #191219 29th May 2013 9:30pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

[oops double post]

Post #191220 29th May 2013 9:31pm
Lloyd Barnes

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Java Black

No experience shipping to Australia but we bring containers in from China every week.

Make sure you've got all your bases covered on your shipping insurance. Containers have been known to fall over the side in heavy weather Shocked

Also make sure when you get it to the other end you make arrangements to get it out of the port quickly. Not sure in Australia but leave stuff in a UK port for more than a couple of days and you will get hit with demurrage charges (as well as they wont mind bumping it with a fork truck occassionally!) Your shipping agent should be all over that. Lloyd Barnes

Current
Crendon 427 Sideoiler Cobra in build... 7 litres of madness!

Gone
2008 TDV8 Vogue - Black with Ivory/Grand Black Lacquer
2008 VW Touareg 3.0Tdi
6.3litre Dax Cobra - 12.34 Second 1/4mile at 114mph Smile

Post #191269 30th May 2013 8:15am
magicbob

2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Epsom Green

What part of the lucky country are you coming to, Axle? (If Perth,WA, I'll have some coldies waitin' for ya.!!)
Bob

Post #191271 30th May 2013 8:59am
axle

magicbob yes indeed Perth Perth end of the Earth Laughing my wife is a sand gropper and I spend about two months there every summer ( our winter) will be renting off my sister in law in Bedford to start off .
Are you sor or nor ? 2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.

Post #191277 30th May 2013 9:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>