Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Couple more newby Qs - Grooved/Drilled discs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hughjayteens

2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
Couple more newby Qs - Grooved/Drilled discs?

Hi All,
Went for a closer look at the TD6 I have put a deposit down on today to compile a snagging list that the dealer will sort before collection next week. The lower tailgate wouldn't drop although when you pressed the button there was some whirring. Is this common? The venture cam was missing - should I insist this is replaced do you think? I also spotted that it had (very new looking) grooved and drilled front disks with EBC Green Stuff pads. Should this be a cause for concern? The car stopped very well so they certainly work.
There was a 'Diesel Express' tuning box fitted - are these any good or should I look to change it?
Lastly, it had 20" Stormer wheels but fitted with 295/40/20 106V tyres - again, almost new. I know that these aren't the 'correct' size for a Vogue but my guesstimate is that the rolling diameter is only about 2% out so should this be a cause for concern? How can I tell if the wheels are genuine or not?

Apologies for all the questions and thanks in advance!

Thumbs Up

Post #15594 24th Mar 2010 8:35pm
andyw

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

insurance

could invalidate unless declared Thumbs Up 02 Range Rover HSE Zambezie silver 4.4

Post #15598 24th Mar 2010 9:08pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Hmm,

I would be a stickler for purity, i.e.

Wrong alloys
Wrong tyres (by a long shot)
Wrong discs
Wrong pads

Missing Venture cam
Cheap tuning box

If you can all these changed, great, otherwise, I'd walk away, those additions would make me wonder what type of person had it previously and how they treated it.

But hey, thats just my opinion and everyone's different. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #15600 24th Mar 2010 9:38pm
Neil E

2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Java Black

If the venture cam is meant to be there then I would insist they provide you with one or if you think you`ll never use it, chip them on the price another £250 as it`ll be cheaper for them as (i think) they`re about £500 to replace.

As for the tailgate that should be fixed aswell.

When I bought mine the wireless headsets and remote were missing. I made sure they replaced them (even if it took them 5 weeks!) as that was standard in the SE model.

As for the discs maybe the previous owner found the drilled and vented discs were cheaper to buy if he had to replace the previous set, but bear in mind if I was buying crossed drilled discs with `fast road` pads and an ECU chip, I`d be wanting to stop and go faster! Not good on a 3 ton vehicle.

As RRUK advises Wink

Neil MY10 3.6 TD V8 Autobiography
635 d cab

55 Vogue se

TVR Cerbera

Post #15601 24th Mar 2010 9:40pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Neil

Tyres are a big no no, FFRR should have 109's

Have you checked the spare? As this could very well be standard.

Post #15603 24th Mar 2010 9:58pm
Neil E

2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Java Black

nbunney wrote:
Neil

Tyres are a big no no, FFRR should have 109's

Have you checked the spare? As this could very well be standard.

No but I`ll tell hughjayteens to!!

Wink Wink MY10 3.6 TD V8 Autobiography
635 d cab

55 Vogue se

TVR Cerbera

Post #15608 24th Mar 2010 10:09pm
hughjayteens

I noted all of this with the dealer and he's going to come back to me. Not at all fussed about the venture cam but is good grounds for a haggle I think! Have just looked and I can get one on eBay for £65 so if I can get £250 off I'll be happy. Also just googled and the EBC pads are 4x4 specific and not 'fast road' like the normal green stuff and EBC do sell grooved/drilled discs too so I'll have a look through the wad of receipts and see if I can speak to the garage that fitted them and ask why they chose those.

Will see what they come back with as I REALLY like the car and it drives fantastically.

Watch this space!

Post #15610 24th Mar 2010 10:13pm
nbunney

United Kingdom 

Doh Whistle

Cheers Neil Bow down

Post #15611 24th Mar 2010 10:14pm
hughjayteens

All sorted and now plan to collect the car tomorrow! The dealer has fixed all of the snags, swapped the tyres for some correctly sized ones from another car he had in stock, and has agreed a small discount for the TV and venture cam. I got the number of the former owner from an invoice and spoke to him - he fitted the disks and pads as he needed some to pass the last MOT and the garage recommended these. He said they stopped far better than the previous (admitedly worn) ones so he didn't give them a second thought.

As the tuning box is a simple plug in item, I'll see how it drives with or without it. Surely if all a tuning box does is trick to the car to overfuel then they will all be much of a muchness?

Either way, a happy new owner joining the clan tomorrow!

Thumbs Up

Post #15920 29th Mar 2010 5:02pm
delamo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

Hi Hughjayteens

As long as you are happy with your new car - that is all that matters Very Happy

You have done your research and made sure the dealer has put right all points of your snagging list to your satisfaction - well done.

I had a TD6 previously and loved it - a huge improvment over the Range Rovers of old and a lot more reliable. Your new toy looks like a really smart vehicle - I can see why you fell for it!

A few people complain (mostly TDV8 owners! Rolling Eyes ) that they are a little under powered - but lets face it they are a big vehicle and they are not designed for flat out performance. They offer absolute comfort and can reach high end cruising speeds on M'ways easily with loads of torque uphills.

After what appears to be increased risk of regular blizzards and every road in Britain having caught a bad dose of the potholes because - just imagine what driving that rear wheel drive BMW335 you nearly purchased would have been like. Whistle

Used Range Rovers offer a hell of a lot of vehicle for the money - see if you can get yourself on a Land Rover Off Road day - you will be amazed at what these cars can actually do when needs be - and all others can not.

It is very important that you have the correct wheels and tyre though - You have been offered excellent advice from the other members here - with so much rubber on each corner it really does make a difference to the handling.

You are right not to worry too much about the Venture Cam - I have had them on both cars for past 4 years and have still not found a real use for them (good idea maybe for mums driving with young babies in rear child seats though) TV reception - either analogue or digital - is never that good either - I think it all depends where you are at the time - sometimes its good but most of the time bad.

Welcome to the gang and enjoy your new motor, best of luck with it tomorrow Thumbs Up

Post #15927 29th Mar 2010 7:30pm
simonmanx

Isle Of Man 2005 Range Rover Vogue SE Td6 Java Black

britpart and Terrafirma do drilled and grooved discs for the L322 i just got some terrafirma ones Mr. Green

Post #15933 29th Mar 2010 7:52pm
hughjayteens

A off road day sounds like a LOT of fun but I assume 20" wheels and tyres won't be up to much?! I know from mountain biking what a massive difference tyres can make. Do most people have 2 sets?

Will be sure to keep an eye on the site and thanks to all for your advice so far.

Cheers

Chris

Post #15942 29th Mar 2010 11:04pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

If you can find a s/h Venturecam buy it. I find them very useful - especially when hitching up large trailers - I just rest it on the drawbar so that I can see when the jaw/ball is lined up with the hook. They are also useful if you tow large trailers to watch livestock, horses or even guns/shooters on a game shoot or simulated game day. Great as a reversing camera on the back of very large trailers as well. It just takes a bit of a fiddle to select the VC after you engage reverse as the default is the car reversing camera - once you have done it once though its fairly quick.

Also great for young children / wannabe rock stars who like to see themselves sing on the tv screen Wink keeps them occupied on extended shopping trips...

p.s. a chipped TD6 is fairly sprightly - check out RRUK's posts - he did a great write up on the results of chipping a TD6.

Post #15948 30th Mar 2010 10:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1